Thread: "Civilized" Barbarians?

AspisPhalanx90's Avatar Senator

Default "Civilized" Barbarians?

what would be the most organized barbarian faction to play as? Ive tried the Celtic factions, but i just cant get a handle on their units. The Arverni are moneymakers, and have solid cavalry, but ive always been partial to the east moreso. So for a new campaign, who would be the best fit? Im looking for Dacians, Thracians, line infantry, cavalry..the whole lot,along with a decently upgradable infrastructure (something i missed with Scythia).

So, out of these, who do you think would make an interesting campaign and why?

1) Dacia
    2) Sarmatia
    3) Boii
    4) Scythia
    5) Macedon (i know they arent barbarian but they do get a pretty good selection of thracians and paonnians)
    Flavius Julius Constantinus, adopted Patrician, 30

Velico's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: "Civilized" Barbarians?

Dacia. Good mix of units, some hellenistic influence, some steppe influence, awesome infantry. Can expand pretty easy and capture some of the money making cities.
    Don't run, you'll only die tired.
    RS II - Beta Tester, VVV:TW Historical Researcher

Striker's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Velico View Post
    Dacia. Good mix of units, some hellenistic influence, some steppe influence, awesome infantry. Can expand pretty easy and capture some of the money making cities.
    This. Best faction of the mod IMHO.

Im inclined to agree. Although theres something wrong with my Dacian campaign, i keep getting a CTD when i try and fight a battle in the campaign. Only happens with Dacia too. Any ideas? or anyone want to upload their play_dacia folder for me? i have a backup RS2, but even that only Dacian battles work in one turn

Quote Originally Posted by AspisPhalanx90 View Post
    what would be the most organized barbarian faction to play as? Ive tried the Celtic factions, but i just cant get a handle on their units. The Arverni are moneymakers, and have solid cavalry, but ive always been partial to the east moreso. So for a new campaign, who would be the best fit? Im looking for Dacians, Thracians, line infantry, cavalry..the whole lot,along with a decently upgradable infrastructure (something i missed with Scythia).

So, out of these, who do you think would make an interesting campaign and why?

1) Dacia
    2) Sarmatia
    3) Boii
    4) Scythia
    5) Macedon (i know they arent barbarian but they do get a pretty good selection of thracians and paonnians)
    Then your second choice should be the Macedonians. Be warned that their campaign is easy as Hell.
    Under the Patronage of the Honorable Bolkonskij

Indulge yourself into discovering the race of the Turks that stormed the Oriental world and regained their honor from the despair of decay.
    The Expiation of Degeneracy-A Great Seljuks AAR at http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=276748
    "By purple death I'm seized and fate supreme."- Julian the Apostate

I have a pretty solid macedonian campaign, and yes it is easy. Hardest part thus far is fighting off Scythian HAs...so annoying fighting 3 stacks of the things

Sarmatia.... none other. I haven't heard many play that faction. I have done 3 campaigns so far with them. It's nice to hold the vast steppes and strike down into turkey, greece, germania & middle east.

Im going to rephrase my question a bit

Should i recreate Lysimachus' kingdom of Thrace with Pergamon or Dacia

Pergamon! They have an excellent mix of hellenic heavy infantry, as well as
    as good a selection of Thracian influenced pezoi, romphaophoroi, etc. as anyone
    else. Argyraspides to!

Not to mention a "civilized" infrastructure.

My campaign with them is extremely fun and dynamic.
    [

Striker's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Eshmunamesh View Post
    Pergamon! They have an excellent mix of hellenic heavy infantry, as well as
    as good a selection of Thracian influenced pezoi, romphaophoroi, etc. as anyone
    else. Argyraspides to!

Not to mention a "civilized" infrastructure.

My campaign with them is extremely fun and dynamic.
    I agree with you about Pergamon's caracteristics, tough I find the campaign a bit too easy.

That said, I still prefer Dacia by fifty hundred miles.

DarthLazy's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Dacia
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Real imperialism is shown by Western apologists who are defending Ukraine's brutal occupation of Novorossija.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Sovereignty of Ukraine was recognized by Yeltsin and died with him.

Vice's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by AspisPhalanx90 View Post
    Im inclined to agree. Although theres something wrong with my Dacian campaign, i keep getting a CTD when i try and fight a battle in the campaign. Only happens with Dacia too. Any ideas? or anyone want to upload their play_dacia folder for me? i have a backup RS2, but even that only Dacian battles work in one turn

Do you mean in a settlement that Dacia has? I remember in my Rome campaign I could not fight in a certain Dacian settlement as the game would freeze up after I hit "start deployment" or whatever its called...

Or do you mean you cant fight any battles as Dacia without CTD? If so then ignore my statement

cant fight any battles. The campaign runs fine, but whenever the battle loads, it ctds