Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls

Ulyaoth's Avatar Truly a God Amongst Men

Default Re: Dark Souls

Mainly the stupid can't pause can't save crap. It's ing 2012, people have to do other than run through a level in a freaking block over hours. Besides that, while the combat and gameplay were pretty good, it was one of those games that tried to be 'difficult' with cheap tricks and aggravation. Also, the complete lack of a real story as far as I played sucked.
    I'm cold, and there are wolves after me.

Under the Patronage of the Almighty Justinian

alexanderswift's Avatar Senator

You probably won't like Dark Souls if those are your gripes with DeSouls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sphere View Post
    Don't try and kill my internet joy.

It is all I have.

Ulyaoth's Avatar Truly a God Amongst Men

Yeah it's a shame because the gameplay is fairly good, just not good enough to override the obnoxiousness.
    I'm cold, and there are wolves after me.

Under the Patronage of the Almighty Justinian

I get what you mean, I really like it as a whole but I have the time to sit and play for hours and hours. Either way it's a good game but definitely not for everybody.

It is all I have.

Quote Originally Posted by alexanderswift View Post
    Same game with the new content included. I'd heard everyone say it's a lot better but I've never played DeSouls myself.

Edit: Ninja'd.
    I personally think Demon's Souls was far better than Dark Souls. Not gameplay-wise or anything. Dark Souls expands and improves on almost everything. But there's something special about Demon's Souls that makes it so much better

Mainly the stupid can't pause can't save crap. It's ing 2012, people have to do other than run through a level in a freaking block over hours. Besides that, while the combat and gameplay were pretty good, it was one of those games that tried to be 'difficult' with cheap tricks and aggravation. Also, the complete lack of a real story as far as I played sucked.
    Like Alexander said then DarkS isn't for you.

I really miss a storyline, but compared to the enjoyment I get in the game it's nothing.

I don't get what you mean with "difficult with cheap tricks". If you're talking about those random moments like in Boletarian Palace in the huge bridge section( after the Phalanx boss is defeated )and, out of nowhere a dragon comes and roasts you, or when an enemy upstairs pushes a stone ball against you... well, these are pretty cheap moments but you can avoid dieing even one time to those if you move carefully and pay atention.

Attention is what saves your life in this series. Awareness to your surroundings ( A huge bridge with NO enemies... there's something wrong, I better avoid this or move carefully ) attention to your enemies ( watch his attack pattern, how he moves, etc.

The "no save" crap is pretty unforgiving, when you kill an essential NPC or have to walk the same extremly long path again. But in Dark Souls the "checkpoints" ( the Bonfires now, not the Archstones ) are MUCH closer to each other

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee View Post
    I personally think Demon's Souls was far better than Dark Souls. Not gameplay-wise or anything. Dark Souls expands and improves on almost everything. But there's something special about Demon's Souls that makes it so much better
    Ye that's what I'm talking about

TBH I think Demon's Souls did some things better . I thought the mood, ambient sounds were far better in Demon's, for example. The storyline, although still minimal, isn't as ing confusing as DaS', either.
    The ambience, the mood, the sounds... Boletarian Palace was one of my favorite locations in games ever because of things like that. Can't say I think Demon's was better since I haven't finished Dark yet.
    Last edited by beckyolt; July 15, 2012 at 07:38 AM.

I wish I could have played Demon's Souls, shame it's only on PS3. Though the difficulty with cheap tricks is kind of true, since the only way to establish true difficulty is having something unpredictable and dynamic. Dark Souls goes a different route and goes for the heavily scripted difficulty. Which is fun for a while but kind of a joke after you figure out the AI.

It is all I have.

Quote Originally Posted by beckyolt View Post
    The ambience, the mood, the sounds... Boletarian Palace was one of my favorite locations in games ever because of things like that. Can't say I think Demon's was better since I haven't finished Dark yet.
    Boletarian was brilliant indeed, but if you think about it, every world in DS was magnificent. I really prefered the old system with the Nexus. Props for the huge world that is geniusly constructed in DkS, but I prefered the warping from the Nexus to a world. Because every world felt so different from eachother, and every world kind of had its own "theme", which really added to the atmosphere. I think that there's very few things more atmospheric than world 3-1 in DS.

Boletarian was brilliant indeed, but if you think about it, every world in DS was magnificent. I really prefered the old system with the Nexus. Props for the huge world that is geniusly constructed in DkS, but I prefered the warping from the Nexus to a world. Because every world felt so different from eachother, and every world kind of had its own "theme", which really added to the atmosphere. I think that there's very few things more atmospheric than world 3-1 in DS.

I thought Boletarian castle was better than 3-1. The wrecked catapults, mountains of bodies of dead men and horses, the constant cawing by the crows... it just had a magnificent dark atmosphere. Guess that's why I see many Diablo fans who love Demon's Souls.

Dark Souls is pretty weak in atmosphere.
    Last edited by beckyolt; July 15, 2012 at 05:22 PM.

I thought Boletarian castle was better than 3-1. The wrecked catapults, mountains of bodies of dead men and horses, the constant cawing by the crows... it just had a magnificent dark atmosphere. Guess that's why I see many Diablo fans who love Demon's Souls.

A matter of opinion I guess

Dark Souls is pretty weak in atmosphere.
    Compared to DS, it does a really poor job actually. New Londo Ruins is great though, Blighttown's ok but a weaker version of DS' world 5. The catacombs and tomb of giants are also pretty eary but a bit cheap (with the darkness). DS didn't even need such darkness in world 4 and still was twice as moody - another brilliant world imo

Hmmm... how much of the game, approximadately, have I completed if I did everything up to those frogs and that giant rat in the Depths, and killed ML Butterfly?

Hmmm... how much of the game, approximadately, have I completed if I did everything up to those frogs and that giant rat in the Depths, and killed ML Butterfly?
    I'd say a bit less than a third. You've got a ways to go still.

It is all I have.

A mothering giant wolf wielding a giant sword with his teeth.

Dark Souls.

I'd say a bit less than a third. You've got a ways to go still.
    I remember I thought I had almost finished the game after Anor. Then bam, catacombs, darkroot forest, demon ruins, the entire Seath level, new londo ruins. Dark Souls is really long.

A mothering giant wolf wielding a giant sword with his teeth.

Dark Souls.
    Ah yes, Sif. I always hate it when I have to fight him. When the poor fella starts limping...

Sif is pretty much a joke, but he keeps you of your toes. He's easy to dodge and only really poses a threat if you're using a spell or item or something, and even then it's not hard to avoid him.

Dark Souls is really long, my first run I was 60 hours in to Anor Londo before my save got corrupted... Somehow it didn't bother me I had to play through the rest of the game again though.

It is all I have.

Sif is pretty much a joke, but he keeps you of your toes. He's easy to dodge and only really poses a threat if you're using a spell or item or something, and even then it's not hard to avoid him.
    Yea I know, I also think he's really not that bad. But it always saddens me when he's hurt. Downsides to having a dog I suppose

Dark Souls is really long, my first run I was 60 hours in to Anor Londo before my save got corrupted... Somehow it didn't bother me I had to play through the rest of the game again though.
    Yea same here. I was also around 60 hours when I had finally killed Seath and got to Demon Ruins. But because I had the worst build ever I just restarted the game. Finished the second time in 30 hours or so

I didn't even realize Sif was injured the first time, I just kept wailing on him and didn't notice. It's really interesting that they did that and I cannot imagine why they would... Hm. Cut content probably.

I'm glad it's so long, averages out to about 30-40 hours with loads of replayability. I still can't believe that reviewer said it was too long...

It is all I have.

I didn't even realize Sif was injured the first time, I just kept wailing on him and didn't notice. It's really interesting that they did that and I cannot imagine why they would... Hm. Cut content probably.
    I personally didn't notice it either my during my first run (black knight halberd ftw), but I noticed it the second time. Well, for a very short time because I kiled him pretty fast but you could see it.

Heard you can forge a sword from the soul of the wolf. Is it any good?

I personally didn't notice it either my during my first run (black knight halberd ftw), but I noticed it the second time. Well, for a very short time because I kiled him pretty fast but you could see it.
    Yeah, there are still all those rumours about sparing him flying around even though it's entirely proven otherwise. Though you actually can skip the Ceaseless Discharge so it's hardly surprising people are still trying to find a way to get around killing Sif.

It is all I have.