Thread: multiplayer campaign ????????

Default multiplayer campaign ????????

pleaseeeeeeeee

smoke's Avatar Positively positive

No you can't have it.
    CAVE CANEM

"CA forced me to buy RTW2. CA made my buy all DLC's. Even the free ones. CA made me push the button."

Not until we got super robots sitting and programming ( hmm...i noticed a bug in this game Y59746. of to the scrapyard with you)
    check my "only 1 settlement" thread

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30259

Too much problematic to be prepared...maybe in an expansion and realised like WWII online...but there are only 21 factions...server continuity problems...IMPOSSIBLE or at least too much for now

Stat rosa pristina nomine nomina nuda tenemus

Yeah, so they've decided to make a mult-battled campaign which just feels many time lamer since when they mention multiplayer you only really care about campaign anyway (regular battle multi is fine tho)

Quote Originally Posted by caprera
    Too much problematic to be prepared...maybe in an expansion and realised like WWII online...but there are only 21 factions...server continuity problems...IMPOSSIBLE or at least too much for now
    Could hotseat too...

Faenaris's Avatar Son of Dorn

But hotseat doesn't allow you to play real-time battles. It is fine for the campaign, but it doesn't work for the battles. And auto-resolve is just ... boring.
    Son of Acutulus, member of The House of the Wolf / Signature by King Mong

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Seems like a huge waste of time.
    That time could be spent improving the AI.

Regardless, by the apparent general fan reaction + the mainstream, non-AI/TW veteraned masses, CA doesn't have to worry about AI either.

Indefinitely Banned

I would really love a MP campaign, but I understand the problems, such as people not playing the required amount of time, for example. I think that perhaps MP campaigns should be first attempted over LAN, rather than regular MP, because then you are likely to know how long you can play for and the problems will be fewer. I do hope TW gets a MP campaign someday, single battles are just boring after about 1-3 of them, but I doubt it'll happen beyond connected battles in MTW 2.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Yeah, how long do you people spend per turn, because I spend between 2-20 min. Now, if there are say, 4 people playing, that means you would have to wait anywhere between 6 min to an hour. But you HAVE to stay at your computer because someone might attack you, and you need to be there to defend. Also, what if one player attacks another player with a huge army in a 4 player campaign. Thats another hour for the other 2 to wait.

Even if it was only 2 player, it is still too much waiting for anyone other than the most hardcore players to want to do.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Savage_Swede's Avatar Carolus Rex

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55
    Yeah, how long do you people spend per turn, because I spend between 2-20 min. Now, if there are say, 4 people playing, that means you would have to wait anywhere between 6 min to an hour. But you HAVE to stay at your computer because someone might attack you, and you need to be there to defend. Also, what if one player attacks another player with a huge army in a 4 player campaign. Thats another hour for the other 2 to wait.

Even if it was only 2 player, it is still too much waiting for anyone other than the most hardcore players to want to do.
    But even though it would take time i would love to atleast try it sometime.
    But i understand why there cant be MP campaign due to the facts already posted.

Sig by Lord Rahl
    Under the patronage of Obi Wan Asterix

Europa Barbarorum, what RTW should have been.

what if there was just a 2 player muliplayer campaign set within a smaller area, like italy vs greece. then you could have two guys fighting over 15 or so territories.
    i think that would allow a game to run well enough online

MP campaign is a nice sounding idea, but something that will never work for the reason cited above - time. There is simply too much downtime needed to let the other players plan moves, enact them, etc. etc., and during this time you must be at your computer b/c if someone attacks you it could stall the whole game waiting for you to jump in if you are sitting on the crapper.

Sure, they could slightly modify it where the turn is divided into 3 segments, a building stage where you build/recruit, followed by a diplomacy stage where you move diplomats, followed by a stage where you move armies. They could give you say 5 minutes for each, but then you get back to the same problem of time - what do you do for the 30 mins- 1 hr that two guys spend fighting a battle? Sure you could have a "spectator" mode where you can fly around and watch the action, but that then raises Fog of War questions (you know exactly what army someone has and how he uses it b/f ever fighting him).

All in all, it just a difficult thing to do. If someone figures out a way to do it conveniently, god bless them, but I don't think it can be done.

Conceptially it would be fun if it was implemented right. But realistically it wouldn't be fun or even possible.

If there ever was a MP campaign, the whole turn based strategy part would have to be completely reworked.

Kor Khan's Avatar Semisalis

I believe that MP campaigns could potentially be implemented, and I think they could work. They wouldn't be the same as a normal SP campaign though.

You couldn't play the full campaign, but only mini-campaigns which recreate a major historical conflict between two major factions (e.g. the Hundred Years War). These games would have only two players, each taking over one of the main factions, with the AI in control of minor factions (for example Burgundy or Scotland). The two players are always at war with each other, there can't be peace. Diplomacy with AI-controlled factions is possible, though.
    As the map wouldn't be very big, each player shouldn't take too long to make his move.

If there's a battle between the major factions, each player (naturally) takes control of his faction that he plays on the campaign map. The attacker decides if the battle will be fought on the battle map or auto-calced. If there are any third party factions fighting on the side of one of the players, these get put under the control of the AI (or possibly, the player who's side the AI army is on may decide to take control of it himself).
    However, if there is a fight between one player and a minor (AI) faction, the player may decide to fight it out or to auto-calc it. If he decides to fight it on the battle map, the minor faction army is put under the control of the other player.

This way, you can have a campaign game between two players trying to outwit each other at every level. The game should generally be relatively short, but it should be possible to save it and pick the campaign up where you left it. Due to the small amount of provinces, downtime for the player who's turn it isn't shouldn't be all that long, only a couple of minutes. The fact that any battles fought on the campaign map involve both players remove this problem too.

All in all, I don't know how easy this would be to program, but I have the strong belief that multiplayer campaigns are theoretically possible, and could be very exciting and fun.