Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Guitar Solo Ever.......

PyrrhusIV's Avatar Primicerius

Default Greatest Guitar Solo Ever.......

So, I was wondering, what is your favorite, or in your opinion, the Greatest Guitar solo ever? I would say my pick for greatest is The solo in "Free Bird" by Lynyrd Skynyrd. The Live version mind you, it is a 14 minute live version, with 6-8 minutes of Guitar (Which is echanting, not trash), with the vocals pulling in at the end. Amazing.

My favorite Solo is in "Band on the Run". I believe it starts 1:16 seconds into the song and ends 1:42 seconds into it. For some reason, it is simple, but just so amazing, and good!

Your opinions? Thoughts?

any sad guitar song rules

can any1 suggest good titles ?

Conan the Barbarian "All anyone will remember is that few stood against many!!!"

Most men complacently accept knowledge as truth. They are sheep ruled by fear

Wthout a doubt the solo from "Comfortaby Numb" by Pink Floyd is the most stiring ever done. Anytime I catch it on the radio I have to crank it all the way up and just drift away. Hopefully not while Im driving. Ill pull over to listen to it.

Heres a link to a site that lists the 100 top solos of all time with "Comfortaby Numb" rated number 4. So dont give it much creedence.

any sad guitar song rules

can any1 suggest good titles ?
    Well this fits both. "As my Guitar Gently Weeps" by the Beatles"
    Last edited by Rush Limbaugh; January 23, 2006 at 08:37 PM.
    I have nothing against the womens movement. Especially when Im walking behind it.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

That list is a pretty good one for famous songs from famous that have good guitar solos. The best guitar solos I have ever heard are from bands that arent as famous though. This Christian band called Ashes Remain has one of the best guitarists I have ever heard though, and the solo in the song "Fade Away" is awesome.

Freebird is incredible though
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

PyrrhusIV's Avatar Primicerius

"As my Guitar Gently Weeps" by the Beatles"
    "While My Guitar Gently weeps" is amazing. I love it.

vizi's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Amazing. TWC is like a mirror to my life. This happens way to often. I am 5:11 into free bird and I see this thread.

Free Bird is my favorite solo

Kscott's Avatar New and Improved!

Free Bird makes me want to go fight, just so powerful and slow at the same time

Patron of Basileous Leandros I/Grimsta/rez/ Aemilianus/Publius/ Vizigothe/Ahiga /Zhuge_Liang Under Patronage of Lord Rahl
    MY TWC HISTORY

"While My Guitar Gently weeps" is amazing. I love it.
    Wow I cant believe I posted that. My favorite song from my favorite group by far and I post it wrong. Gah.

The best guitar solos I have ever heard are from bands that arent as famous though.
    Well I sort of agree but the best solos I ever heard were from Jazz Fusion bands

Mahavishnu Orchestra starring John Mc laughlin

Return to forever Just look at this line up

Group Members: Bill Connors, Earl Klugh, Lenny White, Gary Brown, Airto Moreira, Stanley Clarke, Chick Corea, Al DiMeola, Joe Farrell, Harold Garrett, Gayle Moran, Flora Purim, Jim Pugh, John Thomas, James Tinsley

Al DiMeola is incredible on guitar.
    I have nothing against the womens movement. Especially when Im walking behind it.

Indefinitely Banned

Freebird and Lynyrd Skynyrd both suck.

:wink:

Kscott's Avatar New and Improved!

Quote Originally Posted by Atheist Peace

We have been through this before....

Anyways, anyone who plans on getting high, Two Joints by Bob Marely will make you the happiest man alive...

Patron of Basileous Leandros I/Grimsta/rez/ Aemilianus/Publius/ Vizigothe/Ahiga /Zhuge_Liang Under Patronage of Lord Rahl
    MY TWC HISTORY

"Comfortaby Numb" by Pink Floyd
    YES!

Other great ones: Machine Gun (the 13 min live version) and All Along the Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix

And a magnificent one: Dogs by Pink Floyd (the 17 minute version)
    Hypocrisy is the foundation of sin.

Proud patron of: The Magnanimous Household of Siblesz
    Timendi causa est nescire.
    Member of S.I.N.

vizi's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Atheist Peace

Opinions.....if you ask me i would tell you this

FASTER....STRONGER....LOUDER....HARDER!!!

Quote:
    "Comfortaby Numb" by Pink Floyd

YES!
    Not only the solo but the whole damn song. The lyrics really send me if you know what I mean.

TW Bigfoot

Quote Originally Posted by Rush Limbaugh
    Wthout a doubt the solo from "Comfortaby Numb" by Pink Floyd is the most stiring ever done. Anytime I catch it on the radio I have to crank it all the way up and just drift away. Hopefully not while Im driving. Ill pull over to listen to it.
    Hello *echo* hello hello....

I second that.

Didnt know you were floyd fan rush.....

Its not the technical playing abilty, or the even the tune of it.
    Its the sheer passion in that single solo (though the first lead break is good too) that simply makes it what it is.
    The song itself is very simple is structure, but thats what makes it so good,
    And that the song is not built around the solo.
    The solo sums up the song perfectly, and thats what IMO makes a solo good,
    Not an entire song that is simply based around a solo.
    But the solo that can sum up what the song is.

(if you smoke up then listen you'll get it :wink: )

Didnt know you were floyd fan rush.....
    Big time. Always have been even back in the Sid days. Loving to do acid back in those days didnt hurt my appreciation of their music.

Also if youve read some of the music threads here you would have known that I even worked for them on the Wall tour as a roadie. Im sure Im far from the staunch conservative you all think I am.

Its not the technical playing abilty, or the even the tune of it.
    Its the sheer passion in that single solo (though the first lead break is good too) that simply makes it what it is.
    The song itself is very simple is structure, but thats what makes it so good,
    And that the song is not built around the solo.
    The solo sums up the song perfectly, and thats what IMO makes a solo good,
    Not an entire song that is simply based around a solo.
    But the solo that can sum up what the song is.
    That pretty much sums it up for me. If you ever saw the Wall concert the highlight of the whole thing to me is Gilmore standing atop the Wall blasting out that solo.

(if you smoke up then listen you'll get it )
    But of course. I love to toke up and listen to the Wish You Were here album. That whole thing is a trip.

Big time. Always have been even back in the Sid days. Loving to do acid back in those days didnt hurt my appreciation of their music.

Also if youve read some of the music threads here you would have known that I even worked for them on the Wall tour as a roadie. Im sure Im far from the staunch conservative you all think I am.
    You are not alone on this. One of my dad's friends who has always been a conservative was like that as well. Hell, he even grows weed still but hes DEFINATELY the last person you would think to be like this.

A few people i've known through my dad are like that.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Rhah's Avatar S'eer of Fnords

I'd have to agree about the "comfortably numb" solo. Did anyone see Floyd at the Live8 gig. Gilmore's solo was pretty damn good. I think there are Mp3's "floating" about

Also, however mentioned Pantera, i'd put forward the solo to "Cemetary gates", or all of the lead guitar from "Hollow".

Honourable mentions go to "Unforgivan" by Metallica, and "Afraid to shoot strangers" By Iron Maiden

And the "Freebird" solo of course. "Hotel California" by the eagles has a pretty good one as well.

I notice no mention of Led Zeppelin. "Stairway to Heaven" is a pretty obvious candidate, and i'd also say "Since i've been loving you" and "Achilles last stand"
    Last edited by Rhah; January 24, 2006 at 06:00 AM.
    "Moral indignation is jealousy with a Halo" - H.G. Wells.

Sig crafted by Bulgaroctonus, Member of S.I.N., Proud Spurs fan
    Son of Valus, Brother to Mimirswell and Proximus
    Patron of Shaun, Eventhorizen, Beowulf47
    and Rob_the_celt

Seleukos's Avatar Hell hath no fury
    Patrician

Comfortably Numb by a mile..

Libertine's Avatar Neptune eats planets

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHH

I recently played COmfortably Numb to my sister..........Apparently she prefers the scissor sisters version.....................BLOODY DANCE MUSIC
    Heir of Kscott
    Proud Patron of the lost Fable and Proud Patron of God
    Spurs Fan?
    Member of the SG Fan Club
    Finland had unusually little to do with the whole New World gig. - Watchman

Helios News Monkey
    Knight of the Lulz

Stairway to Heaven of course!

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast