Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Griefing Violation

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

Default Griefing Violation

Today I awoke to find a serious griefing incident. Someone has essentially destroyed beyond repair a construction I made yesterday, which took me the best part of an afternoon. There is NO WAY I can repair this, it's impossible.

Why is there no way it's repairable? It was a monster trap. And someone has gone in, and destroyed the monster spawner.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

As you can see, someone has climbed inside, and built a dirt block stairway up to where the spawner was, and destroyed it. I have had 2 or 3 hours of work rendered USELESS because of this. Not only that, but in other minor news, someone has uprooted my reed farm AGAIN. This isn't thievery, it's simply destruction. What really annoys me about all this, is when I was on the server yesterday and we all discovered that mob spawners work, I made it completely and utterly public that destroying such things in the land of others is totally griefing, and I also told everyone there that I considered the uprooting of any form of farm griefing, since you're destroying someone's construction, not their resources.

It's becoming clear to me that there are members of this community that simply lack common sense, or a sense of fair play. I'm an inch or so away from simply leaving this altogether, which is a real shame because there are many on this server who I enjoy playing with. What i'm also an inch away from doing, is going bandit and simply killing whoever is in my way until I discover who did this. I'd also love to know if the server can in any way be reset to a state where the spawner is there, or if one can be added in somehow.

That is all.
    Last edited by Musthavename; January 31, 2011 at 06:11 AM.
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Makrell's Avatar The first of all fish

Default Re: Griefing Violation

Was this build server?

Poach's Avatar Civitate

No that is the PvP server. Can stunt spawn monster spawners and set their mob using the server mod, perhaps?

Also, I am in agreement with Musthave: whomever did this plainly griefed and, not only that, did it specifically to deny us a resource as opposed to damaging a building that can be rebuilt. This is pathetic.

Wait what? Like making mobspawners functioning?
    Mobspawners are unusable AFAIK unless hmod changed that

If you were on the server yesterday, mob spawners now work. Mobs will not spawn in darkness without a spawner. Hence why I went through 3 hours of work building a trap around it.

Similarly, if this was on the build server, why would I care since I can just spawn the resources from them?

Quote Originally Posted by Musthavename View Post
    If you were on the server yesterday, mob spawners now work. Mobs will not spawn in darkness without a spawner. Hence why I went through 3 hours of work building a trap around it.

Similarly, if this was on the build server, why would I care since I can just spawn the resources from them?
    Oh i see that is quite a good solution I say stunt spawn 1 mobspawner for you so you can rebuild it

It's not that simple. Player created mobspawners will spawn pigs by default afaik. He would need a different tool such as MCEdit or the like to force it to spawn spiders instead.

Praeses

I have never ever found a monster spawner before. Except for yesterday. That was hilarious. But that was nowhere near your lands.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

From the hMod wiki:

/mspawn

• Command: /mspawn [name]
    • Description: While facing a mob spawner, this will change the spawned creature.
    • Valid names are: Monster, Zombie, Spider, Skeleton, Giant, Slime.
    Example:
    The below will change an existing mob spawner to spawn zombies.
    /mspawn Zombie
    http://wiki.hey0.net/index.php/Commands#.2Fmspawn

Next time stunt is on he can simply spawn a replacement spawner and change it to spawn spiders.

That's good news to know it's repairable. I was feeling incredibly angry over this, simply because of the time i've spent on it.

Still, someone on the server is prepared to do such things. I'd also like to remind people that the entirety of my reed farm was also uprooted, just after I repaired it only yesterday. The lack of reeds on demand isn't an issue, but the fact that someone is prepared to simply destroy something i've built really annoys me. I don't even harvest the things mostly, they're just there!

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    took an arrow to the knee

Gunny was crawling around our base yesterday. He did claim to have done something quite significant. He was also in the vicnity of the spawner when he was killed. Gunny, if you did this, I urge you to step forward and accept responsibility like a man.
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Poach's Avatar Civitate

I'm fairly certain the descruction of things like reeds and wheat isn't necessarily griefing because they're not buildings: it's closer to theft or destruction of items than it is destruction of buildings.

I deem it griefing, since it's techically a placed block, one that someone is destroying. The person in question has no way of knowing wether these were simply resources or something cosmetic that someone liked looking at.

I also urge that if the perpetrator told those in his Kingdom of this act, that those who know come forward.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Our farm, as well as the farms of others, have been raided in the past and their crop stolen. It's never been raised as a griefing issue.

Now, as scenery then perhaps it can be counted as grief, but the reed farm wasn't really set up as scenery.

It is very hard to define scenart and not. I use a lot of weed and would be pissed if someone destroyed it

Quote Originally Posted by Poach View Post
    Our farm, as well as the farms of others, have been raided in the past and their crop stolen. It's never been raised as a griefing issue.
    I did raise it yesterday on the server that Sel had done this previously, and when I told him how I felt, he apologised and agreed not to do it again. I don't seek any punishment for that act, but I really don't want to see it become the norm. Similarly, when the Dwarves originally had the incident with the "FU" sign and the forest fire, they also mentioned the destruction of their crops.

Anyway, that's a side issue. The main issue here is that someone found our trap, would've obviously seen that it was a trap, then swam past the spawning spiders around them, and destroyed it, knowing it would deprive us of a resource and make all the work someone had done making the trap useless.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Indeed and I condemn their actions as both a deliberate act of destruction upon something obviously player made and motivated entirely out of wishing to, for lack of a better phrase, us over.

nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Poach View Post
    From the hMod wiki:

http://wiki.hey0.net/index.php/Commands#.2Fmspawn

Next time stunt is on he can simply spawn a replacement spawner and change it to spawn spiders.
    wait,does that say giant? 0.0

Remlap's Avatar Lag Slayer

that is despicable, but at least your spawner can be fixed. I wish you luck in finding the culprit. If we find anything out we will let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by nhytgbvfeco2 View Post
    wait,does that say giant? 0.0
    Giants are a leftover in the code iirc. They're essentially Giant Zombies Notch was testing that were never implemented (or if they were, this was way back in survival test or something).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast