Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: MTW 2 dreamfeatures

smoke's Avatar Positively positive

Default MTW 2 dreamfeatures

Yes it's that time of the year. Let's all pretend we can still add a feature or two to the game. What features would they be? Here's my list.

-in-depth diplomacy. Perhaps #1 on everyone's list here. Let's forget about the past. RTW's system was shallow. Let MTW2's diplomacy resemble something along the lines of Civ's. I want factions to take my previous decisions and their current status in account. I want them to do sensible things; accept ceasefires when beaten or overstretched. Crush me when i am weak and make smart deals when it serves a purpose.

-make agents powerful again. Let's have agents that really make a difference. A marriage between your princess and the Byzantines should be a major boost to your relations. Spies that reach a certain level of subterfuge should get more abilities. Let them report on your enemies plans, troubles and hidden agendas. Have them say new things like 'General Louis de Beaufort of the French is disloyal he might be tempted if we encourage him to rebel.' Basically add another layer to the game by subterfruge. Give agents plenty of functions they can preform under specific circumstances.

-lots of turmoil. Make the game as tumultuous as life was back in the days. Give it lots of heretical uprisings, faction emergences (Huns, Vikins, Swiss et cetera et cetera) which can bring you in a tight spot. Script those a losely as possible to surprise a seasoned player. Make generals rebel often again and give us the option to change kings.

-Pillage and sell. Bring back the sytem of killing or selling hostages. Better still; expand on it. Implement nobles that are willing to join your army after they've been defeated. Give us the opptunity to completely sack a town or city; burn all the building inside.
    CAVE CANEM

"CA forced me to buy RTW2. CA made my buy all DLC's. Even the free ones. CA made me push the button."

Sidus Preclarum's Avatar Honnête Homme.

Good point, all ...

Savage_Swede's Avatar Carolus Rex

I must be masochistic or something
    Because i just loved when civil war broke out in MTW so my kingdom was split in two.
    In my byzantine campaign i had conquered most of the east hen suddenly two princes started a rebellion to overthrow their father and king.
    I just love to fight in complete chaos!
    So my point is, that i want to have more chaos in MTW2, more rebellions and such, and not just small rebel armies like in RTW but large full-scale rebellions that may actually split your kingdom. I find it impossible to loose a campaign in RTW and in MTW the chances were extremely small.

Sig by Lord Rahl
    Under the patronage of Obi Wan Asterix

Europa Barbarorum, what RTW should have been.

bloody limbs on the battlefield.

diplomacy much like the Civilization game series, best current diplomatic AI in my opinion.

No stupid AI (plagued with suicidal general <all fixed with patches, but still a nussance>, or :wub: fighting by your units and AI's <promised to be better this time >)

3 time periods we can choose to start from as in Shogun and Medieval TW for the single player campaign. I liked this option cause i could choose a faction more easily and also jump start buildings otherwise seen as a waste of time/bore building and crap.
    Last edited by Lumburg; January 23, 2006 at 09:35 AM.

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Håb

Naval combat!

And bring back the agent cutscenes from Shogun and the fact that you'll be warned by you spies if an enemy are planning to attack.
    But as SS (Savage_Swede ) also said. more rebellions!
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

They are in fact bringing back the good old cutscenes.

I'd rather see delicious civil wars (Have no province rebel alone -that's suicide. They'd try to covertly convince their neighbors toband together, so you'd get full fledged kingdoms forming, not the position of rebels replaced with faction specific rebels) and such depths than a need of staying historically accurate. So long as it wasn't Pixies and dust and Hounds of Culann, it makes no worry if the armor isn't 100% accurate.

Have the AI develop much more 'big picture' knowledge in both battle and campaign. Not how to get the next provinece, or kill this next unit, but how to defeat the north of my kingdom, or how to engage my line and systematically break it.

My DREAM FEATURE - the ability to customize units. Let me choose my tabard and nation's colors. Let me deck out my spearmen in chainmail if I am willing to spend the resources, have the armouries for it, and will wait the time needed.

On the subject of Naval combat, I'm quite glad it's not there since it would be very difficult to get right and if it didn't work it would ruin the game. Imperial Glory tried it and it didn't really work imo. I'd like to see diplomacy actually have some effect, so that alliances would actually mean something. Spying isn't done by individuals wandering into an enemy city, it's networks run by people in your own cities paying agents recruited from inside (at least in more modern times, I don't know about the medieval period but I'd have thought it would be the same), so perhaps some sort of building to link the effectiveness of your intelligence network to would be good. I agree about rebellion, in the original mtw succession seems to be fairly easy, but I know that the Byzantine empire had a lot of civil wars over succession, and I suspect that the rest did too.

The timeframe ends in 1530, just as the reformation is starting to get into gear in the Holy Roman Empire, I wonder if this will have any effect on the game?

Naval combat, real cities, excellent diplomacy, civil wars, and the ability to kill my uncles and nephews so that they dont pose a problem to my sons rise to the throne(in other words being able to assisanate your own family member).

This wouldnt really be the Era to have naval combat though, not really alot of naval battles in the medival or rennisance eras, besides Lepanto. Now if they ever make a Napoleonic era game they will have to include naval warfare.
    "We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." Johnathon Swift

"Where they have burned books, they will end in burning human beings." Heinrich Heine

They are in fact bringing back the good old cutscenes.
    Are you sure about this? And if you are where did you get the information?
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

Otto von Bismarck

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Atterdag
    Are you sure about this? And if you are where did you get the information?
    I read that too, somewhere... Not sure where 'somewhere' is though!
    Dr. Who fans at the ready. March! http://doctorwho.myfreeforum.org/index.php

I would like to have
    -The ability to select a soldier from the whole army anf play as third person game, and have the ability to go back to army movement and order the whenever you want
    -Naval Battles would also be great, but not only ship crushing, when the ships get close, a wooden bridge get down and the soldiers on the ships try to take the enemy ship
    New pics on 24/4/2007

Ill be honest with you, I dont see the glory in Naval Battles. I mean heres the deal, you control your units and you tell them where to go, you try to out flank and what not. Well I mean in Medeival all your going to be doing is clicking on your ship and clicking on another ship, they will crash into each other or however it go's and that will be that.

Besides you dont want the game to be like Rise and Fall, I just dont like the idea of it.

Wes

Bwaho's Avatar Puppeteer
    From the kingdom of heaven by the powah of the holy spirit

-The ability to select a soldier from the whole army anf play as third person game, and have the ability to go back to army movement and order the whenever you want
    wow wouldn't that be something. You could reclaim the holy land single handedly chuck Norris style.

Lord Tomyris's Avatar Cheshire Cat

Yep, assassin cutscenes are back it has been officially stated.

Ex-Quaestor of TWC: Resigned 7th May 2004

Faenaris's Avatar Son of Dorn

Hehe. I prefer not to have a "Chuck Norris Total War".

Bwaho, you have some good Chuck Norris jokes? I got some, but I want more. PM me if you have some more.
    Son of Acutulus, member of The House of the Wolf / Signature by King Mong

Yep, assassin cutscenes are back it has been officially stated.
    Now I'm defetnly wanting this mod. Now I'm only hoping for succesion cut-scenes and a new throne room just like Shogun!
    Сканија је Данска

Otto von Bismarck

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

Quote Originally Posted by BattleKnight
    Hehe. I prefer not to have a "Chuck Norris Total War".

Bwaho, you have some good Chuck Norris jokes? I got some, but I want more. PM me if you have some more.
    "Time waits for no man, unless that man is Chuck Norris."

In the .com's press release, it states that the assassination cutscenes are back. What I hope is that your obsolete units can be upgraded. In RTW, I was annoyed at having lots of pre-Marian units that I couldn't replace. If I spend the money, I should be able to upgrade, say, my Faris cavalry to a more modern equivalent.

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

O'brien the Protector's Avatar Lord of the Mannequins

my dream feature of MTW2 ( outside the usaul improve AI, diplomacy, etc) would be a fluid territory system; the area of control around a city would be determined by its military, commercial, and industrial factors ( all of which are affected by its geographical position, population, and how its governed), and by the cities sourounding it. To add to this, it would also be possible to make new cities. For instance you could create a fort, and if it stands for some 10 years, and is being upgraded to a castle, merchants would start to come there (safe place to trade where people hang out (military or not), and people would have to come by thier shop simply becuase its on a road). Over time the fort could become a small village and grow into a city.

But I undersnad that that is impossible to create. teh logorithms that would have to be worked out to properly create the control areas, and the the logoriths for how the new cities would grow, would simply be to hard to make realsitic in my opinoin ( becuase most forts obvously didnt become cities, so they would have to work out hundreds of factors that lead to a fort becoming a city).

Thats my dream atleast.
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < )
    -(Under the patronage of the humble, yet all powerful Lord Sephiroth.)-Royal House of the Black Prince

Lord of the Mannequins~Protector of Happiness, Bishop of Liberty, Guard of Hypocracy, Patriarch of Duality,O'briantheProtector(OBP)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast