Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sieges in SPQR 6.0

Freddie's Avatar The Voice of Reason
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Cybvep
    Well, EB is even hard for Romans, and currently Rome is probably the easiest faction in EB. It's all about economy in EB, and remember, that this is a beta version...

Partly, Caesar was right, but he was fighting mostly with levies, you know... Gauls were strong. Very strong...
    The Romans did use levies……….back when they were fighting Hannibal but even then those levies did receive a high level of training and they were very highly motivated because they knew if they lost they personally stood to lose their lands. By Caesars time, the Marian reforms had already taken effect and the Roman army was first ever standing professional army.

Most of what we know about the Gaul’s and their way of life is from Caesar’s writings so anything we read had to taken with a pinch of salt. It was in Caesar’s best interests to demonise the Gaul’s as much as he could as it made him look better which he would use to further his political ambitions latter on. Gaul’s were stereotyped as being savage untamed and unruly hordes when all they were doing was fight for their lands and families.

And it’s almost a stereotype to think that Gaul’s more powerful then your average Roman Legionnaire. Whilst Gaul’s were bigger (a generally accepted fact that is true as much then as it was then as it is now) they didn’t have the training that made them as strong as legionnaire and they were know were near as physically fit as legionnaire either.

Please do not double post! Next time, edit your previous post using the edit button. - Trajan

My God you've come back from the dead! Yeah sorry use eidt instead got it

Quote Originally Posted by LordSaradain
    What do you mean? How will it make adifferance?
    The generals abilities only play in if you autocalc(as in command stars, I'm not reffering to moralle bonuses/penalties)...and your not supposed to autocalc, right?

Wrong.

The better your generals command ability the better morale your men have. Have you not noticed how much longer enemy armies last when they have a general as opposed to a Captain?
    Last edited by Freddie; January 24, 2006 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddie

Wrong.

The better your generals command ability the better morale your men have. Have you not noticed how much longer enemy armies last when they have a general as opposed to a Captain?
    No...

...the enemy never lasts long unless you are playing VH, in which case they get VERY large morale boosts.

I know there are traits which affect morale but I didnt know the command stars themselves also did.
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

"attack the argument, not the person saying it" -lee1026
    Sig by Manji

Quote Originally Posted by Freddie

But then again I think barbarians are overestimated as well, in Caesars writings he talks a lot about who the Gaul’s (more specify the Hellevti tribe) fought and he clearly states that other then the initial charge barbarians were relatively easy to deal with.

IMO - the thing with Ceasar - that he was an EXTREMELY talented general. He made Pompey look like incompetent.

If you would look at Hanibal's campaign - you could decide that Romans were overestimated too...

The bad ratio is cause from Loss of a couple garrisons. BUt still again Gauls would be 600-800 lost to their 32-3600 So its not as good as in SPQR 4.6 The AI tends to be smarter now, when in defense they dont attack like before the send skirmishers, which means you shield wall is only good when they attack. they are alos sneaky They will byypass and army to siege a town now. There are some changes in 1.5. Acrhers tend to focus on light units more. Tactics will change with 6.0. To be honest my kill ratio has alot to do with the crappy hastatii, I had to build a legion of just them because its all I had. I got bad casualties on them. Plus The ratios arent as good when you defend the roman camp. I had 2 of those battles. Its the worst Ratio I have ever had, and I fee the best I can hope for later is 5-1.

Lt
    Lt_1956
    Creator of SPQR:Total War mod since 2004

Freddie's Avatar The Voice of Reason
    Patrician

Have you not noticed since 4.3 generals get there command stars a lot faster now? I can assure you it makes all the difference when fighting.

Since 4.3 I’ve been concentrating on killing those no good ruffians as earlier on in the battle as I can. I never noticed this before how big influential the general was to the moral of his men until 4.3. I was defending a bridge and I had almost a perfect army for this purpose, lots of archers, lots Javelins/skirmishers (back when they were REALLY effective) and experienced troops. The battle lasted ages and my archers and slingers had nearly run our of ammo which I had never had to worry about because normally they had all run away by that point. Then one good shot at there general from my slingers and their whole army clasped instantly! I had never seen it before that many banners turn to flashing white and all of them trapped on the bridge. As for the rest lets just say my cavalry had a field day.

Quote Originally Posted by lt1956
    Plus The ratios arent as good when you defend the roman camp. I had 2 of those battles. Its the worst Ratio I have ever had, and I fee the best I can hope for later is 5-1.

Lt

man... I'm struggling to get my 4/5-1 ratio in SPQR 5 and you hope the best you can get in SPQR 6 hard settings is 5-1... i'm dead can't wait anymore

looking forward to 6

The Romans did use levies……….back when they were fighting Hannibal but even then those levies did receive a high level of training and they were very highly motivated because they knew if they lost they personally stood to lose their lands. By Caesars time, the Marian reforms had already taken effect and the Roman army was first ever standing professional army.
    Yeah, I know that, but THE GAULS used mostly levies against Caesar. Why? They were desperated and exhausted by constant "inner fighting"...

And it’s almost a stereotype to think that Gaul’s more powerful then your average Roman Legionnaire. Whilst Gaul’s were bigger (a generally accepted fact that is true as much then as it was then as it is now) they didn’t have the training that made them as strong as legionnaire and they were know were near as physically fit as legionnaire either.
    As I said before, Gauls used mostly levies against Caesar, not their "regular" (...) troops, so we can't really say who is (or better: "who WAS") "more powerful" :wink: .
    Last edited by Cybvep; January 23, 2006 at 12:45 PM.

After testing this script alot I have to say you will need to Siege Stone Forts
    Lt, are you talking about Stone Forts, or Stone Walls for a city? If you are talking about Stone Forts, does the AI script work for Forts as well as cities? If so, is there a way to make the enemy AI build more Forts? As of yet, I have never come across an enemy Fort.

Stone cities. Script only works for known locations fixed on the map.

As to command stars on Generals in 6.0 the acquire them more realistically now. Also In 6.0 there is less suicide generals and More skirmish action. Beware. lol

I mean You can find exploits to any game, I cant prevent the AI from being completely retarded, so the player can in essence cheat. I mean its long known that Bridge battles like that will get you high kill ratios, but where is the Glory? How can one brag on an exploitation? See what I mean, its HOW you win that counts, not winning. ATLEAST when fighting a AI and not A human player.

That would like be beating your car at a race because it didnt know there is a curve in the road ahead and runs in the ditch so you win. How many people will be impressed that you won? Exactly and thats the same thing here, who would be impressed if Exploits and cheats are used. I know I wont be, and I am sure I wont be alone. For shame I wouldnt tell anyone, so I would get mocked. You learn these things when you get older, the youth think winning is everything, its not, ITS HOW YOU WIN that really counts!
    Lt_1956

Does anyone have a link to the garrison script standalone? I think I saw it over at the org a while back.
    also LT in response to saving and loading will adding the script midgame corrupt the save files?

Just what I need, harder gameplay.......

Lt,

I saw the other thread about the major bug in patch 1.5 with archers not firing at heavily armoured units in siege/defence mode... is this gonna affect the gameplay in SPQR 6.0 or have you guys found another way around the plroblem... Does it mean that archers won't fire at units before they reach the wall???

Thank you Lt!! Now I will have to actually use more of my troops.

MasterAdnin

Divine hammer, each Script has to be individually tailored to a mod. The garrison script before on the Org doesnt work. This one for SPQR does. Its a simple script but it adds alot of Fun to the game.

No you cannot add the script in the middle of an existing campaign, weird things will happen. atleast it did for some testers.

On the 1.5 Bug, there are some adjustments, but no that bug will be in SPQR 6.0 as I prefer to keep archers realistic instead of making them super killers. They way I have it set up to compensate for the bug it doesn effect gameplay that much if at all. Garrisons will have alot of javelins besides archers so you should be in for a tough fight. Like I said, on stone walls I suggest attacking with 2 armies so you have reserves. I lost alot of men trying to take an Egyptian City in testing!
    Lt_1956

So when is it coming out??!!
    I'm getting angry
    plz respond
    ty

Divine hammer, each Script has to be individually tailored to a mod. The garrison script before on the Org doesnt work. This one for SPQR does. Its a simple script but it adds alot of Fun to the game.

No you cannot add the script in the middle of an existing campaign, weird things will happen. atleast it did for some testers.

On the 1.5 Bug, there are some adjustments, but no that bug will be in SPQR 6.0 as I prefer to keep archers realistic instead of making them super killers. They way I have it set up to compensate for the bug it doesn effect gameplay that much if at all. Garrisons will have alot of javelins besides archers so you should be in for a tough fight. Like I said, on stone walls I suggest attacking with 2 armies so you have reserves. I lost alot of men trying to take an Egyptian City in testing!
    That's very good... from my understanding if we play hard or very hard battle difficulty the archers actually fire even with the bug... does it mean that on H/VH we will have to confront both archers and javelins on the walls that's gonna be a hell of a game :sweatingb

I still suggest playing on Medium battles as VH may be too hard with the AI bonuses. This is NOT the vanilla version of the game. lol You are outnumbered badly and generals have command stars. I really think VH and possibly Hard may be too much if playing with the script.
    Lt_1956

LorDBulA's Avatar Biarchus

Yes you can. It will work perfectly.
    I dont know if you uses 4ty if you are then loading game that has the same turn number or later turn number as your current game can couse problems.
    If you decided not to use 4ty then any loading game will couse problems.
    If its the latter i recomend using 4ty, just get rid of every console_command seson.... and delete all unnecesary turns, plus
    while one
    end_while
    loop.
    This will then let you load savegames from turn befor and older with no issues, but you will still have issues if you will load saves from the same turn as current. In this case i would sugest not activating script becouse basicly you will be activating script for the second time. Script you activated before loading game is still working.

Does anyone have a link to the garrison script standalone?
    Since long time ago when i was making this script for the first time for Roma mod i promissed that i will make it publicly availbe when i finish it i will upload script generator afther SPQR 6 release.
    As for now there is none avaible.
    Just remember it will be only generator. You will have to collect quite a lot of data yourself and plug it in to generator. It will work in the same way as editing RTW txt files does.
    Last edited by LorDBulA; January 30, 2006 at 03:51 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12