Thread: Discussion: New Procedures for Rule Proposals

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

Default Discussion: New Procedures for Rule Proposals

Hello fellow Minecrafters,

It has come to my attention in recent weeks that the current ruleset for posting Rule Proposals isn't adequate for the greater amount of players on the server, and the new kingdom climate on the server. Thus, I propose a number of amendments and adjustments.

Background

Currently, kingdoms are much larger and more tied together than they were on the previous map. This means that players are more prone to bloc (kingdom/alliance) voting than before, placing rule-changing power largely in the hands of the greatest groups of players. Since the ultimate objective in a game is to give as many players as possible as great an experience as possible, the rule changing system should be directed so that it is based more on consensual opinion (perhaps >65% of the votes) than simple (>50%) majority. Such a system would also prevent opportunistic rule change proposals made by entire alliances during wars.

On top of this, I have noticed that rule polls are often submitted in ways that are greatly biased towards the proposal, instead of offering the voters a real chance at making a balanced decision. While the proposal discussion thread itself is indeed intended to levy support for whatever it is that the OP is proposing, a poll is supposed to remain strictly neutral and clean.

Current Rules

Anybody with OP rights on the TWC server may propose a new rule for the server, or amend any existing rules.

The vote shall be set up to run for three days and all votes will be public.

The vote will be decided by simple plurality. Anybody may change their vote whilst the poll is still open. Votes from people who do not play on the TWC server shall not be counted.
    Amendments

i) Every rule-change poll must follow a template given in the rules thread. Polls must be as neutral as possible.

(see template example below)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Introduction
    Greeting to the voters, information on the situation.

Options
    Poll options listed. Should be more explanatory than 'pass this proposal', 'do not pass this proposal'. This information must not be biased.

Effects/notes
    The effects of any outcome will be listed. This cannot be formulated as 'PvP will be ruined if...', but rather a factual guide on the consequences of the alternatives.

ii) The vote will be decided by simple plurality. The vote is decided by clear majority. A proposal must have [percentual barrier] or more of the votes to pass. Anybody may change their vote whilst the poll is still open. Votes from people who do not play on the TWC server shall not be counted.

Please discuss,
    Aanker

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

Ascarona's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Discussion: New Procedures for Rule Proposals

I haven't noticed bloc votes at all tbh. And I feel that a template for rule changes is rather unnecessary, rule changes are fairly clear atm. Though I'll agree on it if it makes the thread more clear. As for a large majority, any majority should count. I don't really care if it's a small majority or not.
    “Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”

Poach's Avatar Civitate

50% of the vote is sufficient. I'd like to see evidence that points to Kingdoms voting along the same lines, specifically evidence that shows they're doing it in spite of their personal views.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

I think you'll often find a group of players who band together will do so because they have similar mindsets. That would explain if at all why Kingdoms seem to vote the same.

Stuntdawg5's Avatar Ordinarius

Yeah, I have to agree with Poach. Kingdoms do not seem to be voting together. As can be seen in the poll that Musthave made about the griefing rules. Asc voted against his rule. 50% is more than enough to change a rule. Also, this new template seems mighty complicated for simple rule changes in a game. I dunno about everyone else, but so much formality and strictness is kinda overkill.

Makrell's Avatar The first of all fish

I agree with op

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    took an arrow to the knee

The apparent bias in poll threads is also a non-issue - people aren't stupid; they don't need the proposer to outline a detailed summary of what may and may not happen if that rule is passed. I'm sure they can decide which option they want by themselves.
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

Quote Originally Posted by .Mitch. View Post
    I think you'll often find a group of players who band together will do so because they have similar mindsets. That would explain if at all why Kingdoms seem to vote the same.
    This. I don't see any reason for a change.

Also, I know in my proposal threads i've outlined reasons for things, alternatives, etc... and no-one even responds to them. It'd simply fall on deaf ears.

I also think that enforcing such a strict template might deter some people who don't formalise their ideas from presenting something people geniunly want.
    Last edited by Musthavename; January 30, 2011 at 04:22 PM.
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Lord Romanus III's Avatar Primicerius

I am not worried about bloc voting, but I always thought that a larger majority should be declared. I personally think 75% should be required, but I will agree to a lower setting of 65%.