Thread: How do you take direct control of provinces in Crusader Kings

Default How do you take direct control of provinces in Crusader Kings

It's a long shot that this will be answered but I've been trying to figure this out for hours and would greatly appreciate any help.

After I conquered a province, I get a little alert message in the top right which suggests that I can take direct control of two provinces but am currently only controlling one. It's worded in a terrible fashion so I'm not sure if I can take control of two or not. I gather that I'm only controlling one.

So how can I take direct control of this second province? I've read the manual three times and searched online for ages. Let's hope the sequel makes huge advances in this clarity problem.

Rilder's Avatar Miles

Default Re: How do you take direct control of provinces in Crusader Kings

I think your talking about the Demense Penalty.

Basically your character can only control a certain amount of provinces before he starts to take penalties, its how it stops you from taking over Europe as a count.

The penalty is a straight income decrease. (AFAIK, if there are other penalties I haven't seen them) So if you can only control 2 provinces and you control 4 yourself you only get like 50% total income.

Its modified by Intrigue, your title and the current century. (century probably to simulate the move into more EU3 style governments)

In order to get rid of the penalty create vassals.

Default Re: How do you take direct control of provinces in Crusader Kings

Quote Originally Posted by legin2 View Post
    So how can I take direct control of this second province? I've read the manual three times and searched online for ages. Let's hope the sequel makes huge advances in this clarity problem.
    Well, you must have read across it without realising, then.

Here's CK's manual on titles and claims.
    Revoke Title: Removes a title from a targeted vassal and take it for yourself. If the vassal refuses then you merely get a claim on his title instead.

Create Title: If you own a lot of land (like maybe half of Sweden) and no one has the title “King of Sweden” you can create that title for yourself.

Usurp Title: When you control more than half of the land of a province/country, you can claim being the lawful owner of a title, even if it is held by another Character. This is called “usurping” the title and gives you a legal claim on the title, but not the title itself. You will have to earn the title by conquering the province by warfare.

Grab Title: A megalomaniac (or even you) may say that a title is theirs without having a legal claim to do so. This costs quite a bit of Prestige, but allows the character to declare war.
    If you want to get a province under your direct control (i.e. joining it to your "demesne", your directly controlled territory), you have to have a claim on that province in one way or another, as well as the province itself.

For instance, if you want to capture a province from a neighbouring realm, you have to get a claim to a province in one way or another (events, fabricating a claim etc.), declare war on that realm, capture the province, and force your claim (ideally winning the war as well).

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rilder View Post
    On second thought, this here should be the actual issue.