Thread: Did EB mod the combat engine?

Default Did EB mod the combat engine?

I've seen it implied around here that the EB team has significantly edited not only unit stats, but also the combat engine. Is this true? A lot can be done with stats of units in the .txt files, but it wouldn't surprise me to hear you've gone beyond that. If so, could you describe a little bit of what you've done and (more importantly) how a fellow modder would go about doing the same thing?

No. The exe hasn't been touched. Stats and formations account for most of the battlefield improvements along with improved animations.

Alright, thanks for that. Given that, I have another quick question. How do animations affect actual battlefield action, if indeed they do?

They have an effect, but I suppose it's small. Some animations are not as effective as others I've been told. I'm not involved with that side of things though so that's all I can add, but you asked how was battlefield action effected and it does slightly affect it.

animations have effect and it's not small when it comes about fighting in formations (more exactly how many in a formation efectively take part in active fight while the rest just wait around doing the moon dance)
    if you watch with attention how phalanxes perform you will notice the difference
    i think the cohesion needs more work out
    also I noticed it takes a lot of time for troops with prec thrown weapon to throw their javelins
    those are just details but in ansamble it greatly affects the combat engine
    Me is Caesar
    Me no care
    Me go recruit
    a legionnaire
    If he die
    Me no cry
    Me go recruit
    another guy!

Animations make a big difference. The overhand spear animation is just the javelin animation from vanilla at the moment and it's not very effective, hopefully the shift to a proper animation will help.

History is for the future not the past. The dead don't read.

Operam et vitam do Europae Barbarorum.