Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Citys and Forts in one ?

Default Citys and Forts in one ?

After seeing this i was wondering

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/800/80...g_3334164.html

are there Forts inside of citys. Because if there are its going to be a ***** to take a town.
    "There's Brave Men knocking at our gate, lets go kill them"

Well, I heard that you can have up to 3 layers of city walls. But I'm not sure if that includes a keep or not. But it just makes city-assaults even more fun. Personally I found assaulting a city in RTW was kind of boring once you got past the walls.

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

Let me break it to you; fortified Medieval towns were tough :wub: to capture. Even if a besieging force was able to take the actual city, they would still need to get through the keep. They usually resorted to siege. During the Scottish invasion of England that ended with the Battle of Neville's Cross, a garrison of some 30 Englishmen in a keep resisted the entire Scots army for almost a week. Below is a description of the sack of Lisbon, and the difficult task the Spanish faced in taking it.

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/cap-lisbon.html

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

No, there will be two types of settlement in the game. Castles and Cities. When you have small village you can either start to fortify it, turning it into a fort. Or helping it grow, becoming a city. Castles are easier to defend and this makes your province into a troop training one. Cities produce more wealth, but are less easier to defend. CA have also hinted at there being a few unique fortress/cities dotted around the map, like Constantinople which will probably act like a city and castle at the same time.

if thats true chuffy that would be just great.

btw, where did you read about that?

Quote Originally Posted by mike^_^
    if thats true chuffy that would be just great.

btw, where did you read about that?
    Um...the press release. I can't believe I'm the only one who noticed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Creative Assembly
    Build through six levels of settlement ranging from humble villages to vast cities and wooden forts to mighty stone fortress. Develop your faction as a feudal aristocracy using you castles to keep the peasants in check whilst conquering your enemies with your powerful armies. Or build cities to develop a wealthy urban society, and battle your foes with diplomacy, bribery, assassination and armies of mercenaries.

oh, I meant the part about - " CA have also hinted at there being a few unique fortress/cities dotted around the map, like Constantinople which will probably act like a city and castle at the same time. "

Quote Originally Posted by CA
    Build through six levels of settlement ranging from humble villages to vast cities and wooden forts to mighty stone fortress. Develop your faction as a feudal aristocracy using you castles to keep the peasants in check whilst conquering your enemies with your powerful armies. Or build cities to develop a wealthy urban society, and battle your foes with diplomacy, bribery, assassination and armies of mercenaries
    what that sounds like to me is, we can build our cities normally like RTW, but we can also build up our forts into castles? is that right? that would be cool

Quote Originally Posted by mike^_^
    oh, I meant the part about - " CA have also hinted at there being a few unique fortress/cities dotted around the map, like Constantinople which will probably act like a city and castle at the same time.
    It was mentioned on the .com forums by someone at CA.

And hey, it makes sense, Constantinople was a lot different than London.

that wpuld be utterly amazing if they did that

smoke's Avatar Positively positive

Hmmm yeah makes conquering large cities a unique experience. Taking Constantinople would require a different tactic than say, Venice. Should they implement this, than sieging the big medieval cities would mean breathtaking stuff. No more going on routine. I hope this is true.
    CAVE CANEM

"CA forced me to buy RTW2. CA made my buy all DLC's. Even the free ones. CA made me push the button."

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

Originally Posted by Creative Assembly

Build through six levels of settlement ranging from humble villages to vast cities and wooden forts to mighty stone fortress.
    That doesn't actually say that you choose the direction your settlement will take. You imply that you start with a village and then choose whether to make it a castle or a city. The statement above says that you start with either a village OR a fort.

we will find out when it comes out but i hope it does it will give more of a challenge as city seige were ussally straight forward in rtw
    Si vis pacem, parem bellum
    If you seek peace, prepare for war
    -Publius Renatus

My hope would be we would have something like this......

The cities are permanent with upgrades of multiringed walls as upgrades and able to have the option of converting some of the poulace to emergency millitia when it beocmes besieged.

Forts would start as motte and baileys and would act as both watchtowers and forts in RTW, they would be fairly cheap but be removed if not occupied, like forts in RTW now. Then give us the option of "upgrading" them into permanent stone castles for a large amount of money withthe abliltiy of making them more and more formidable.

Hansa's Avatar Campidoctor

Whould be great if CA whould implement the terrain surrounding the cities in MTW2. Cities by the sea whould have natural protection from that direction (unless attacked by naval invasion of course). cities at edges of cliffs whould have their natural protection. Also rivers, steep mountains etc whould add to the siege challenge.

One realistic way of having multiple walls within cities whould be that you build a wall around the city, after a while the city grows and you build a new wall that surrounds the expanded city and so on. This was common in the middle ages.

Think that its great if some cities are special when it comes to defenses. Constantinople have been mentioned, and from what ive read, that city had the strongest wall ever. Attacker after attacker was stopped dead by the city walls and only in 1453 did Mehmet 2, manage to break the wall by the use of a gigantic hungarian made bronze cannon. such features as the walls of constantinople whould be great if implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by Hansa
    Whould be great if CA whould implement the terrain surrounding the cities in MTW2. Cities by the sea whould have natural protection from that direction (unless attacked by naval invasion of course). cities at edges of cliffs whould have their natural protection. Also rivers, steep mountains etc whould add to the siege challenge.

One realistic way of having multiple walls within cities whould be that you build a wall around the city, after a while the city grows and you build a new wall that surrounds the expanded city and so on. This was common in the middle ages.

Think that its great if some cities are special when it comes to defenses. Constantinople have been mentioned, and from what ive read, that city had the strongest wall ever. Attacker after attacker was stopped dead by the city walls and only in 1453 did Mehmet 2, manage to break the wall by the use of a gigantic hungarian made bronze cannon. such features as the walls of constantinople whould be great if implemented.
    I agree, attacking a cliffside castle would be breathtaking. Imagine how cool it would look on the battlefield (and imagine how cool it would look on the campmap aswell it they decided to do different models). Oh and how glorious would it be to be able to attack from the sea at the same time! The Seige of Constantinople....and imagine the Rome mods! The seige of Tyre, the seige of Karthago Nova!

I need to lie down.

Would be majorly awesome. I wonder if it would be possible to 'retreat' to the donjon/keep and halt the attackers there.
    "Tempus edax rerum." Ovid, Metamorphoses
    Under the patronage of Virgil.

I read it as you now have 6 levels of cities, like in RTW you had "huge cities" and so on, so I thing it's just the same way, but now with 6 levels instead of 5.

BUT I hope that you are right Chuffy, would be great

Also look at the terrain around this castle: http://media.pc.ign.com/media/800/80...g_3334166.html

Or around this one: http://media.pc.ign.com/media/800/80...g_3334062.html

And around this one: http://media.pc.ign.com/media/800/80...g_3334063.html

Seems like the cities just won't be on flat ground any longer

I'm also really hoping for proper ports in cities. So whenever you zoom into a city with a port next to it on the campmap, on the battlemap you can see the port as part of a city.

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

I would love to see Castle Pilgrim in this game. It was impregnable, and practically impossible to besiege. It was positioned on a high cliff, surrounded on three sides by the sea. It had voluminous storehouses, along with a natural harbor in the castle itself, vegetable gardens, and orchards. Since much of the foundation was below sea level, it was impossible to undermine the walls.

The walls themselves were 18 feet thick, and there was only one entrance. Even after smashing their way through the first gate, attackers would have had to move through a winding corridor (making it impossible to bring a battering ram through). Any place in the corridor was covered by at least 4 arrow slits. The castle NEVER fell to an attacker.

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

The question is though, did anyone ever try to attack it? I'd wager probably not. And was it actually of strategic value?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast