Thread: Hyrule: Total War - Link to Subforums in First Post

VGF254's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Hyrule: Total War - Epic Legend of Zelda Warfare

This what they need
    Stalfos need more variety-more undead races
    Darknuts need more speed-like a lynel unit
    Ikana needs some skeletal horses or a giant Drafted unit
    Last edited by VGF254; February 01, 2012 at 07:11 PM.

Any chance Telma will be added in a distant future version?

Quote Originally Posted by VGF254 View Post
    This what they need
    Stalfos need more variety-more undead races
    Darknuts need more speed-like a lynel unit
    Ikana needs some skeletal horses or a giant Drafted unit
    Well, nobody said that the undead have to be made up of major races, right? so how about cattle. I am not saying that Stalfos ride skeletal horses, but huge herds of horses and bulls by themselves as a unit. They would be a extremly brittle unit seeing as they have no armor or ways of defending themselves except killing you first (decent charge for the bulls).

The bird guys should be given the speed that the Darknuts need. I repeat my position on giving the dishonered some form of range combat (whither it be huge javelins, steel bows, or bomb arrows). It would not conflict with their honor code because the dishonored have no honor to lose.

I would thought that the giant Ikanas would have armor and axes like the general, but how about they are called the masons. "Giants among their brethern, these are the Ikana who raised the stone tower, forged the Unbreakable gate, and built the Ikana Castle. In life they loved nothing more than to create great wonders, so in damnation the goddessess decreed that they could only destroy. Wielding huge stone mallets said to contain the same magic that made the Unbreakable Gate unbreakable, they crush those who serve the goddessess.
    Last edited by Opus; February 01, 2012 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Opus View Post
    The bird guys should be given the speed that the Darknuts need.
    Well, they're faster than Initiates, who are pretty fast, but the Fokka's problem is they're more brittle than Stalfos.

Well, nobody said that the undead have to be made up of major races, right? so how about cattle.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The end is nigh.

I repeat my position on giving the dishonered some form of range combat (whither it be huge javelins
    Or rather, make an additional dishonored unit that uses those, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal Lancer 916 View Post
    Well, they're faster than Initiates, who are pretty fast, but the Fokka's problem is they're more brittle than Stalfos.
    I never said anything before (or at least I don't think I have) because I thought I was whining enough as it was (you know, constant chanting of "dog Moblins" and everything), but to be honest... I really don't think the Fokka fit among the Darknuts.
    There weren't even Darknuts in AoL, let alone near the Fokka. And what's more, they only appeared as guardians of the Triforce of Courage appointed by the King of Hyrule.
    The Wosu/Tinsuit are from AoL too (also put there by the King), but at least they are canine and ideal cannon fodder. They died with one prick from the sword beam... most enemies in AoL are immune to sword beams! Conversely, the Fokka are the strongest sword wielding enemies in the game. Possibly the strongest regular enemy in the entire series. So I would really like for the Fokka to be substitued by the Wosu as Darknut cannon fodder and become instead an extremely beefed up mercenary unit... or perhaps an Oocca unit.
    Last edited by Duke Serkol; February 02, 2012 at 07:19 AM.

is it just me, or are the majority of complaints regarding the fractions about the lack of unit variety?
    So, surely the solution is to give all the factions the full combat triangle, right? Like in Rome Total War where every faction had all the units, but in certain factions the, let's say, archers, were weak and/or limited.

martdiamond's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Songfish View Post
    is it just me, or are the majority of complaints regarding the fractions about the lack of unit variety?
    So, surely the solution is to give all the factions the full combat triangle, right? Like in Rome Total War where every faction had all the units, but in certain factions the, let's say, archers, were weak and/or limited.
    The main problem is that in the TW games every faction has a full unit roster. At this point the roster is very limited, but ,and correct me if I'm wrong, Neph is going back later to add to the rosters. It won't be too much of a problem in the beginning of the campaign since you'll also have access to the mercenaries, but without enough unit variety and choice the custom battles and eventually the campaig will become stale.

surely the solution is to give all the factions the full combat triangle, right? Like in Rome Total War where every faction had all the units, but in certain factions the, let's say, archers, were weak and/or limited.
    Nephalim is trying specifically to avoid that, for the sake of making the various factions more diverse.
    Which I'm in favor of.

I'm fairly sure that it's possible to make factions diverse while giving them the whole roster of troop options.

I just want to say thank you for making the mod. When my friend showed me I just flipped. Keep up the good work. Best Mod ever

UndyingNephalim's Avatar Primicerius
    Patrician Artifex

I'm fairly sure that it's possible to make factions diverse while giving them the whole roster of troop options.
    Giving every type of unit to every faction essentially makes them clones of each other on a foundational level. You could argue that the stats for each unit type and their visual appearance are different amongst each faction, but in the end that still means the best strategy for one faction will work for most or all factions. By diverse I mean in terms of how the player is forced to be creative with their strategies and use the units they have, not so much diverse in what units are available (though that's important too). I bring up Universe at War as a superb example of each faction have insanely different types of units relative to each other. Only the Novus had a basic grunt unit, while the basic unit for the Hierarchy was a giant walker ten times the size of a Novus grunt. It really felt like you were playing a completely different RTS depending on the faction you were in that game. While I can't go that far in Medieval 2 because of the engine, I want to push it as far as possible to make it feel like you are playing a completely different RTS game with each faction. If they all had the same unit types that kind of destroys that feeling.

when it comes to the campaign, will certain factions have a couple of settlements separated from their main starting location to begin with? For instance, the Gohma could have a settlement in the forest not too far from the kokiri, and the lizalfos could have a couple in the death mountain range, as that is where they were originally from perhaps.
    I shall consume... consume everything

PS: I imagine there are enough posts here to warrant a sub forum soon, have you asked recently about that neph?

Quote Originally Posted by UndyingNephalim View Post
    Giving every type of unit to every faction essentially makes them clones of each other on a foundational level. You could argue that the stats for each unit type and their visual appearance are different amongst each faction, but in the end that still means the best strategy for one faction will work for most or all factions. By diverse I mean in terms of how the player is forced to be creative with their strategies and use the units they have, not so much diverse in what units are available (though that's important too). I bring up Universe at War as a superb example of each faction have insanely different types of units relative to each other. Only the Novus had a basic grunt unit, while the basic unit for the Hierarchy was a giant walker ten times the size of a Novus grunt. It really felt like you were playing a completely different RTS depending on the faction you were in that game. While I can't go that far in Medieval 2 because of the engine, I want to push it as far as possible to make it feel like you are playing a completely different RTS game with each faction. If they all had the same unit types that kind of destroys that feeling.

Well said, Neph. I can see your reasoning, though I still wish there was a bit more troop variety. I mean, there are barely enough units in the All Era roster per faction to fill the Early Era roster per faction in Medieval II. I understand you don't want each faction to be clones of the others, but perhaps exploring each faction's strengths a little more... fully.
    More variety within each specialization, like, giving Labrynna a few different kinds of spearmen with varying equipment. Say, a shorter-haft spear wielded in both hands like a glaive and maybe a more armored variety of gunners. I don't know, it just feels like each faction, though beautifully modeled and well planned, each faction is still incomplete.
    That said, I agree fully with what you are aiming for in making each faction so different.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal Lancer 916 View Post
    Well said, Neph. I can see your reasoning, though I still wish there was a bit more troop variety. I mean, there are barely enough units in the All Era roster per faction to fill the Early Era roster per faction in Medieval II. I understand you don't want each faction to be clones of the others, but perhaps exploring each faction's strengths a little more... fully.
    More variety within each specialization, like, giving Labrynna a few different kinds of spearmen with varying equipment. Say, a shorter-haft spear wielded in both hands like a glaive and maybe a more armored variety of gunners. I don't know, it just feels like each faction, though beautifully modeled and well planned, each faction is still incomplete.
    That said, I agree fully with what you are aiming for in making each faction so different.
    Well put, Neph's vision of variety amongst the factions is what makes this mod very exciting, i feel expansion of troop variety in specific areas for different factions would be very beneficial, but that can be done later on once custom maps and a campaign are unveiled

One of the things i like about this mod and the third age one is the variety of different troops for different factions.
    One of the reasons i get bored with the other Total war games is all the troops are the same and then it gets boring because the tactics work every time and it becomes effortless

Also when I was playing Third Age Total war i noticed a rebel general was actual one of the British generals from Medieval 2, since that is a basic coding error please don't let that happen. When i saw it i fell out of my chair laughing and almost lost the battle

UndyingNephalim's Avatar Primicerius
    Patrician Artifex

I remade the Moblin Grunts, Captains, and Generals:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Those look amazing - genuinely intimidating, I might say! And that's impressive for what will be translated to dozens of specks on an enormous battlefield. I can't wait to see those guys charging into the ranks of a Kokiri army, rending bone and flesh and sending their foes screaming into the woods... ... ...

Quote Originally Posted by UndyingNephalim View Post
    I agree completely to this.

i love those new moblin designs, awesome