Thread: Hyrule: Total War - Link to Subforums in First Post

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Default Re: Hyrule: Total War - Epic Legend of Zelda Warfare

Ok guys, I just deleted 22 posts because they were starting to cause a flame war.

That's over one page of off-topic posts.

The next person that continues the trend will be infracted for off-topic posting.

Please do not continue this childish behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Talking_Bidoof View Post
    That got me thinking, maybe when you capture a settlement, if you choose "Execute Populace", there'd be a chance of a rebel undead army, with stuff like redeads, gibdos, and the death hand, appearing outside the gates.
    Not a bad idea at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Jabedess View Post
    Wouldn’t it be cool, if when playing as the Moblin faction led by Ganon, that if you take over Hyrule Castle it turns into the Pyramid of Power and the surrounding area is turned into the Dark World.
    Well, it WOULD be possible to make the Pyramid a buildable or already built structure in the town if that happened. As for changing the countryside though, I'm almost one-hundred percent sure that you can't do that. The way maps are made in Total War kind of prevents the map from changing at all, aside from swapping between summer/winter. I suppose you could try to make a brand new map_features file that could swap out the look of the province if that happened, but I think that would a: break the farming system in the game, since you wouldn't have any 'real' ground there, and b: keep it from swapping between summer and winter, but I might be wrong on that.

So the map cannot change between ages? You know, small things like swamp turning to field or somesuch.

Eleos's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Jabedess View Post
    Wouldn’t it be cool, if when playing as the Moblin faction led by Ganon, that if you take over Hyrule Castle it turns into the Pyramid of Power and the surrounding area is turned into the Dark World.
    This is an awesome idea! Of course, there should be a prerequisite for Ganon to somehow obtain the triforce... which may or may not reside inside Hyrule Castle. Speaking of the triforce...

Neph, I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but what kind of role will the triforce have in the campaign? Will it be a major advantage if all three pieces are gathered? Are they hidden or are they pieces of retinue on certain characters?

UndyingNephalim's Avatar Primicerius
    Patrician Artifex

@Eleos
    Currently I am not sure what the Triforce will do in the campaign. Because of it's sheer power even when separated, it could potentially be a game ending item. It definitely will have importance in the plot though. Which, speaking of plot:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Over the last half decade I have made hundreds of pages of comics and two other fan Zelda games.That's a lot of lore and plot to go through, so here is a general overview of that story and the events that lead up to those in Hyrule: Total War.

Origin Events
    - The Goddesses create Hyrule.
    - They create various races to worship them, and use the Oocca as mediators of their will.
    - Majora creeps upon Hyrule and begins corrupting the work of the Goddesses.
    - The Goddesses banish Majora to Termina, a realm which all their rejected ideals and those that opposed them were cursed to relive three days of agony for all eternity.
    - The Goddesses leave the world and leave behind the Triforce, a mysterious object that keeps the world's forces of nature in balance. They become distrustful of their creations, even the Oocca, so they create the first seven sages to safeguard this power from mortals.
    - One of the first Seven Sages, Sulkaris, deems that she should be granted the power of the Triforce and attempts to steal it. The other Sages stop her and cast her spirit from the Sacred Realm into Hyrule.
    - It is decided that after a Sage becomes too powerful they are to be replaced by successors.
    - A mysterious object crashes into the Tarm Woods. The primitive Tarminians begin to worship it and the Fairies that came forth from the crash.

Pre-Ganon era
    - The Hylians begins to expand across Hyrule. They subjugate other races and exterminate those they deem abominations. The Moblins are prime targets.
    - Hylian Soldiers torch the home village of Ganon and slaughter his parents. This inspires Ganon to commit to a lifetime of enacting vengeance on the Hylians.
    - Ganon attempts to rally other races to his cause. Of his targets are the Hylians, Sheikah, and Gerudo. The powerful male Gerudo warlords scoff at him and as a result Ganon unleashes a plague on their race that stops male Gerudo from being born.

Ganon Era
    - Princess Zelda I comes to power and is due to become the Queen of Hyrule and replace her father.
    - Ganon becomes King of the Moblins. He manages to convince some groups of Hylians, Sheikah, Gerudo, and members of other races to support his cause, promising them a place of power should he find the legendary symbol of Hyrule's power: the Triforce.
    - Ganon wages war on the Hylians, but fails to find the Triforce which was hidden by Princess Zelda, Rauru and other Sages of that time. Eventually the Hylians, Gorons, and the reluctant Zora ally with each other to beat back Ganon's Moblin army.
    - Ganon is supposedly slain by Princess Zelda I.
    - It is deemed that the Triforce is not safe, and with the help of the Oocca, Rauru designs and builds the Temple of Time to house the Triforce.
    - Hylian, Sheikah, and Gerudo traitors are labeled as the Interlopers and are banished from Hyrule through the Mirror of Twilight for siding with Ganon.
    - Princess Zelda II is born, and it is made tradition that every daughter will be named Zelda and never given the title of Queen.

Golden Age Era
    - Princess Zelda II takes over the Kingdom of Hyrule.
    - The Hylians are universally feared and respected at this point. Hyrule begins a strict suppression policy that denies resources in their territory to other empires, even if that territory is not occupied.
    - The Gerudo are cut off from resources needed for survival. With the plague that infected their people the males all die off and their race goes into a decline.
    - Miraculously, Ganondorf is born despite the plague. For this miracle he is raised to become the new leader of the Gerudo people.

Gerudo Wars Era
    - Princess Zelda III comes to power, with Agahnim as her husband.
    - Agahnim is discovered to be a Sheikah and not a Hylian. For corrupting the pure royal bloodline he is banished from Hyrule. Princess Zelda IV's half Sheikah bloodline is decided to be kept a secret.
    - Agahnim managed to erase his existence using the Eye of Truth and slips back into the upper ranks of Hyrule. He serves as a mediator between the Hylians and Gerudo.
    - Agahnim eventually leads to the Gerudo declaring war on the Hylians. Allying himself with Ganondorf, Agahnim and him lead Gerudo armies across Hyrule Field and assault any village they come across.
    - Princess Zelda III is killed by Ganondorf. Filled with guilt for leading to the death of his former wife, Agahnim betrays Ganondorf and sets the subjugated Hylian army free.
    - Ganondorf kills Agahnim, but the Hylian army manages to push back the Gerudo and defeat them.
    - Under the command of Veran and Onox, the descendants of the Interlopers manage to escape back in Hyrule. They attempt to poison the Zora's Domain and corrupt the water supply, thus killing any who drink from the only river that flows through Hyrule.
    - Onox is killed by Princess Ruto and Zaleen before he can release the poison into the water supply, and the Twili army is pushed back by the Zora's efforts.
    - Veran, devastated by the death of Onox, flees back into the Realm of Twilight.
    - The Mirror of Twilight and any possible replicas are destroyed.
    - Link is born.

Fallen Sage Era
    - King Zant manages to usurp the throne from Midna. He believes Midna is dead.
    - Princess Zelda IV takes over Hyrule, but dies giving birth to her child, Princess Zelda V. Hyrule is placed under control of the military until Zelda is old enough for the throne.
    - Sulkaris, the Fallen Sage, manages to implant her disembodied spirit into the minds of Gohma. Eventually she gains direct control over every Gohma.
    - General Akazoo, whom was a trusted leader figure during the Gerudo Wars, declares war on the Lanayru Zora for their "immoral and perverted acts against nature" and moves Hyrule's armies out to invade them.
    - Sulkaris uses this opportunity to attack Hyrule with an army of Gohma.
    - With the efforts of Link and Saria, Akazoo is stopped and Sulkaris is pushed back into the Misery Mire and it is believed the Gohma are defeated.
    - General Akazoo begins experimenting with forbidden knowledge such as artificial extension of life. He eventually manages to animate the skeletons of dead races and he soon transforms himself into one of these undead abominations.
    - General Onox's skeleton is found by Akazoo at the bottom of Lake Hylia and is ressurected as a Stalfos.
    - Veran somehow manages to return to World of Light.

Menagerie Era
    - The Oocca begin landing in Hyrule and taking direct action rather than manipulation.
    - Link is brought to be judged before the Oocca for his actions, which apparently were against the will of the Goddesses.
    - After discovering that the Oocca are corrupted by Majora, Link manages to defeat his influence and free the Oocca.
    - Labrynna begins to expand north and west. Their expansion gets the attention of the Fairies of Tarm and a war between the two ensues.
    - Eventually the races of Hyrule become caught up in the conflict between the Fairies and Labrynna.
    - It is discovered that Queen Ambi is in fact being manipualted by Veran. As a banished Great Fairy, she has been enacting revenge on her race while rebuilding a Mirror of Twilight that can summon the Twili back into the world.
    - With the help of Midna and Link, the Hylian army manages to stop Veran from opening the portal that Zant can use to attack Hyrule.
    - The Master Sword is forged for Link.
    - Realizing that the Master Sword can somehow manipulate time, Link uses it to go back into the past and alter history.
    - The game begins at the Ganon Era after Link returns to the past.

This information is also now on the first post of this thread for those that need to reference it.

Just one question Neph:

Given that time's been rewinded and that it's already been established that there will be a Kokiri Mido hero unit (besides the currently available Gohma infested Mido), will we also get a still living Onox hero unit?

If so, could it be closer to his humanoid disguise self from the game? Possibly complete of Gerudo patterned clothes?

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Serkol View Post
    So the map cannot change between ages? You know, small things like swamp turning to field or somesuch.
    Sorry, but I don't think so. The way Total War compiles the map is it basically takes a look at all the .tga files you have that make up the map, uses the map_ground_types to find out what sort of land there is, figures out what the map looks like in Summer and Winter, and then saves that as one file that the game uses to create the map. That file then cannot be changed, or else the game acts incredibly buggy (Or so I've heard. I've never actually tried it myself). Stuff like Mount Edna erupting isn't a change in the landscape, so much as it is a special ground type that's been programmed to erupt at a certain point in time. (If you're a Source mapper like me, things like rivers and volcanoes are the entities, and the ground and oceans are the brushes. Except there's no brush entities that would allow you to change the texture and data of the brush in-game.)

Ah, that's too bad. It would have been nice to have the map change over time, even slightly, given how dramatically it tends to do between Zelda games.
    Or even within the same game over a mere 400 years.

Oh well, guess we'll have to settle for a "definitive" Hyrule map.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleos View Post
    This is an awesome idea! Of course, there should be a prerequisite for Ganon to somehow obtain the triforce... which may or may not reside inside Hyrule Castle. Speaking of the triforce...

Neph, I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but what kind of role will the triforce have in the campaign? Will it be a major advantage if all three pieces are gathered? Are they hidden or are they pieces of retinue on certain characters?
    This reminded me of something I was thinking about last night. Would it be possible* for there to be a religion system for the factions sort of like there was in Rome: Total War? For those who never played that one, each of the Roman factions (And I'm pretty sure everyone else, but I only remember the times I played as one of the Romans.) were able to choose from one of three gods to build temples for in each city. The temples worked just like the churches in Medieval, giving out Public Order bonus, until around the third tier, where they started giving out extra bonus' specific to what god you picked at the start. People who picked Jupiter got to recruit Arcani at around tier 4, I believe Neptune got a special sea unit at the same time, and Bachus (?) got extra public order.

I was thinking something similar would be easy to implement in this mods factions, or at least in the Kingdom of Hyrule faction. Farore gives extra experience to recruited units, Din gives extra command or some other retainer/ special trait to passing generals, Nayru gives occupying Governors positive traits. Or stuff completely different from that, whatever. Not sure how it would work for the other factions, or if you would even want to give it to only the Hyrulians to give them a little bit of an edge somewhere.

Just food for thought.

(And I know it is, so that's rhetorical)

Quote Originally Posted by UndyingNephalim View Post
    @Eleos
    Currently I am not sure what the Triforce will do in the campaign. Because of it's sheer power even when separated, it could potentially be a game ending item. It definitely will have importance in the plot though.
    Just one idea to throw out here: Would it be a good idea to make them sort of like the retainers or other artifacts the generals could collect in M2:TW? The Triforce Power could make your general a perfect commander and increase his hit points by a ton, or some other battle-related advantage. Wisdom could make them the perfect governor, like increasing tax revenue and decreasing build cost or whatever. Not as sure about Courage. Maybe increase the frequency/ decrease the cost of recruiting heroes, or increasing command against monster type units.

It could even be a win condition for some factions, i.e. Kingdom of Hyrule must have X number of provinces and have all three Triforce pieces, and same for Gerudo or whatever. The pieces themselves could be randomly "hidden" in a rebel settlement at the start of the game, and once a general captures the settlement, (Or, if a captain captured it, as soon as a general enters the settlement for a turn) they get the piece added to their "retinue". If that general is captured or killed, then the general who captured or killed him gets the piece. (If a captain does it, then the captain is either auto-promoted, or if there isn't a way to force a promotion, then it goes to the faction leader) If a general dies while holding the piece, it could either be sent to the faction leader, or left in the settlement until someone else finds it.

Again, not sure how possible any of this is, because I don't really know a ton about how the retinue end of campaigning is structured, but I thought I'd just put it out there.
    Last edited by Talking_Bidoof; November 05, 2011 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Hey, I see all you guests out there. Login and get in here. We wanna hear it.

I suppose that, whatever the case for the triforce may be, it'll obviously have to be scripted to change hands somehow.

Personally, I believe the Triforce should have no direct influence over the campaign mode as frankly, most will know that a lot of factions strive to get it. The Triforce should only appear as part of the ending for your Total War campaign. We don't want to risk unbalancing the basic Total War experience by incorporating super-powerful items and retinues for characters.

I agree with PaulH. Every human player will first go for the tri-force pieces to get an uber general. And if a computer faction needs those pieces (for Human it works) to win the campaign, it will never happen because the AI will not go for them. Or you have to script that they all go for the settlements where the pieces are, but it then will get a chaotic campaign.

Redmagpie's Avatar Libertus

Why not simply have it that the campaign finishes with the Hero of the winning faction entering the sacred realm with their version of Link and the ending then would be based on their faction

E.G if the kokiri won then with their pure hearts they might get the complete Triforce while the Zora could perhaps only get the Triforce of Wisdom???

HaMMeRTiMe!'s Avatar Libertus

It would be a good idea to have the triforce as part of the storyline, but I'm not seeing how it would be a good idea to add it into the gameplay. Too many balancing issues

If there was two campaign modes then adding the triforce would not be so bad.

1) A basic Total War campaign mode, which has a few pre-programmed events such as the odd emerging faction or world event (kind of like how Medieval has Mongols appearing, or mentions of new technologies that have been discovered). The Triforce would have no gameplay aspect to this mode
    2) A story campaign mode which follows the story driven path that seems to be getting more and more prevalent in this mod. The Triforce probably would for this mode.

At least that way, we'd all be happy and all get what we want.

Hey thats pretty clever, I like it! Jeez Paul, how do you keep coming up with all these ideas?

Hehe, when you've modded for as long as I have, it comes naturally ^^

Quote Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
    Hehe, when you've modded for as long as I have, it comes naturally ^^
    Hmm about how long would you estimate it'd take to add in a second campaign though?