Thread: Hyrule: Total War - Link to Subforums in First Post

Default Re: Hyrule: Total War - Epic Legend of Zelda Warfare

Quote Originally Posted by UndyingNephalim View Post
    @Ethereal Lancer 916
    Might their speedy mechs count as cavalry?
    I thought they were supposed to be "clumsy to a fault"? That doesn't sound like they would be speedy... especially considering that these are very primitive hydraulics. I would've imagined the mechs to be on par with Darknuts, not cavalry. But hey, your call.

Still am irked at the continuing trope of Zelda telling us all about these awesome huge ass bloody wars and never actually showing them unfold though.
    It's like PaulH said, the games are aimed at kids, blood and fire hurt sales.

Neph, I don't agree that OoT and MM are not for kids. Half of their apparent maturity is Values Dissonance, parents are more protective of their kids now. With OoT, Nint were like "throw in whatever" but by ST it was "careful, their could be outcry".

And 2 things I've noticed on this forum:
    1) You obsess over theme and mood, but ignore what's most important: gameplay. That's why PH was great and ST was terrible, PH was all touch control, everything was fluid and natural. ST failed to improve on this system, and literally railroaded you around (Zelda should be about exploring vast lands, not chugging past blocky pop-up trees and rocks). It was ST's gameplay, not mood, that ruined it.

2) You seem to take ST too seriously. Between OoT and ST, we got OoX, FSA, MC, TP and PH, all awesome. And you say SS will suck because ST sucked, thing is, ST was made in less than a year, as a cash-in to PH's popularity. SS has been almost 4 years in the works.
    So what if they didn't focus on plot? Like you said, every game before it has been the same anyway. If the game is a fun playing experience, it is a good Zelda game.

And I don't want anyone asking me why I follow this mod if this is what I believe. Epic Zelda warfare is an awesome idea in it's own right, but it's like There Will Be Brawl: it belongs in the domain of fan work.
    Last edited by WEBwarrior094; October 09, 2011 at 05:14 PM.

UndyingNephalim's Avatar Primicerius
    Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by WEBwarrior094 View Post
    It's like PaulH said, the games are aimed at kids, blood and fire hurt sales.

Neph, I don't agree that OoT and MM are not for kids. Half of their apparent maturity is Values Dissonance, parents are more protective of their kids now. With OoT, Nint were like "throw in whatever" but by ST it was "careful, their could be outcry".

And 2 things I've noticed on this forum:
    1) You obsess over theme and mood, but ignore what's most important: gameplay. That's why PH was great and ST was terrible, PH was all touch control, everything was fluid and natural. ST failed to improve on this system, and literally railroaded you around (Zelda should be about exploring vast lands, not chugging past blocky pop-up trees and rocks). It was ST's gameplay, not mood, that ruined it.

2) You seem to take ST too seriously. Between OoT and ST, we got OoX, FSA, MC, TP and PH, all awesome. And you say SS will suck because ST sucked, thing is, ST was made in less than a year, as a cash-in to PH's popularity. SS has been almost 4 years in the works.
    So what if they didn't focus on plot? Like you said, every game before it has been the same anyway. If the game is a fun playing experience, it is a good Zelda game.

And I don't want anyone asking me why I follow this mod if this is what I believe. Epic Zelda warfare is an awesome idea in it's own right, but it's like There Will Be Brawl: it belongs in the domain of fan work.
    @WEBwarrior094
    I can't understand why people just can't wrap their heads around the fact that people see the Zelda games differently. I obviously grew up with a very opposite perspective of the series then you did. I like games with good stories and good characters. If a game is purely based on gameplay then it's just a waste of time and life for me when I could have done something productive like work on this mod. I need a good story to give what I am investing into a meaning and purpose. I never go around criticizing people for liking what they like, even if they like what I dislike, so I just find it really odd that Zelda fanatics get so upset when I say I dislike any game in the Zelda series. It's just a series of games and my opinion on the games. It's not like it's some religion.

Just to clarify, I never said that the Zelda games are all focused upon children, but that they are essentially Legends.. and legends often get changed to be far less bloody and horrific and instead focus upon the heroic. Because, often those tales are told to the younger generations rather than the elder, Legends are quite often a means in which to teach morality. I did say that Spirit Tracks was more focused upon children however, though in my opinion it was not the art style which made it more focused upon children.. as an art style is merely a means in which to convey a story.

Oh, and to also clarify. I only kicked up due to the constant negativity towards the Zelda franchise, as we've had many pages of it and gone over the same negative points almost infinitely.

Negativity does nothing good. Positive thinking people, positive thinking.

"Deku Babas will be in the game and they will be a stationary and purely defensive unit (they can only be spawned inside Deku Cities)."

Cool, my unit would be treed Kokiri. they would be stationary and only trainable in provinces with forests( more on that later) kind of like deku trees but with no melee attack. maybe really long attack time.
    description: Kokiri are not the bravest people in hyrule and would rather run away than wage war, but when the forest itself is invaded they take to the trees and rain deku pellets on attackers. with their high treetop perch comes increased range but thy are vulnerable if the tree is felled" (needs work)
    now about "special provinces" I think that instead of specific buildings there should be "resource buildings". plains, deserts, forests, water, and mountains each containing three ties like if there is some rivers, a mountain, and lots of forests there would be river-ways( base zora units, lily shrubs, possibly fishermen trainable to respective factions) highlands(few goron units, base lizardfos units trainable) mighty forest( large amount of deku forest shrubs, Kokiri units, gomah units trainable). for plains there would be peahats and herds trainable.

sorry if this is too early in development but id rather before you have any buildings than when you already have a system in place.
    Last edited by Opus; October 09, 2011 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
    Just to clarify, I never said that the Zelda games are all focused upon children, but that they are essentially Legends.. and legends often get changed to be far less bloody and horrific and instead focus upon the heroic.
    Tell that to Beowulf, Perseus, Hercules, Aeneas, Odysseus, Achilles, Sergeant York, Simo Haya, and soooo many others - not to mention the legends of the deities like how Cronus tried to stall the inevitable, Brave-Swift-Impetuous-Male AKA Susanowo's general badassery in ancient Japan, the story of Anubis, etcetera etcetera
    Negativity does nothing good. Positive thinking people, positive thinking.
    Positive? What is this positive of which you speak?

@ Opus
    ... ... ... What's a "Karoki"? Do you mean "Kokiri"?

spell checker dont have Kokiri

edit: does now.
    Last edited by Opus; October 09, 2011 at 06:10 PM.

Spelling aside, idea good bad so-so?

Quote Originally Posted by Opus View Post
    Spelling aside, idea good bad so-so?
    Well... if they were immobile they would be of little use - just shoot them from afar with fire arrows. With the existing Deku trees, they trees can come to you faster than your archers can run away from them. It's good thinking, but could only really work if the team of Kokiri in the tree could move from tree to tree - otherwise they're practically useless. A good ambush tactic - bad for pitched battles like what the game does.

the point was that they would have superior range and would be protected be the cover of the tree(more armor so arrows would be less effective or something). And they would only defend The Kokiri forest settlements so they would be harder to run over. What about the resource idea because it seems like most species in Zelda kind of self manage and it would not make sense for Zoras to have large supplies of troops in the desert.

Quote Originally Posted by Opus View Post
    the point was that they would have superior range and would be protected be the cover of the tree(more armor so arrows would be less effective or something). And they would only defend The Kokiri forest settlements so they would be harder to run over. What about the resource idea because it seems like most species in Zelda kind of self manage and it would not make sense for Zoras to have large supplies of troops in the desert.
    Unless they were determined to wipe out the Gerudo or something. But yeah, I don't think that the engine can handle something like that - but I'm not a modder myself, so I don't know. I mean, Neph made giant damn spiders work so there may be a possibility.

*EDIT* And because it seemed to work before,

CAN I HAS UPDATE?
    Last edited by Ethereal Lancer 916; October 09, 2011 at 10:03 PM.

A unit that would probably fit better would be deku communities for deku towns. they would hide in their flowers so they would have hide anywhere and would shoot either farther, faster, or more accurate.
    description: while deku flowers grow almost anywhere those that are in important gathering spots are priceless possessions to the deku shrubs. often belonging to either rich merchants, veteran shrubs, or those in favor with the king these communities are manned of elite shrubs who would rather die than leave their posts
    Last edited by Opus; October 09, 2011 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal Lancer 916 View Post
    Unless they were determined to wipe out the Gerudo or something. But yeah, I don't think that the engine can handle something like that - but I'm not a modder myself, so I don't know. I mean, Neph made giant damn spiders work so there may be a possibility.

*EDIT* And because it seemed to work before,

CAN I HAS UPDATE?
    i think i am not expressing myself right.i am not saying that the zoras cant have huge armies in the desert or even that they cant train huge armies in the desert. the resources buildings(think barracks that are already there and cant be destroyed) would allow you to train base troops automatically. if the deku shrubs take hyrule castle they shouldn't be able to train there automatically( paved barren waste land to them) but if they take the korkiri(edit later) forest they should(it is basically the promised land to them as for as resources go). barracks would not work because hyrule barracks would be bigger than the children of the forest(you know who i mean). so having inherent training facility to relative troops would make sense(forests can train forest shrubs but not yucca shrubs). but if the deku build their buildings they would eventually be able to muster up forces in hyrule castle(but not as much in forest towns as it should be). so if zoras take a town with a river they could train thier spearman unit their right away and in the desert they could build some type of water community that would allow them to train troops.

Patrician Artifex

@Opus
    I imagine if I can impliment turrets then you description might fit what the Kokiri would use. Basically a bunch of them in trees with ranged projectiles. I also think I see what you mean when factions capture cities they should not just be able to train any unit from those cities (Deku Scrubs should not be able to come from a Gerudo Fortress fr intance). I've thought about the idea and if possible I'll have it so they can only train certain units from certain places regardless of what buildings are there.

@Ethereal Lancer 916
    Not everything about Zelda is all that bad. I pretty much consider everything before Phantom Hourglass at least competant in their worse case scenarios.

@PaulH
    And I said something positive about Skyward Sword's intro for a change.

And I have something else positive to say:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Hyrule: Total War Demo 2.3
    Download Link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P71M24BY

Requirements:
    Kingdoms Expansion pack
    Installation: Simply run the installer. The default directory might not match yours though, so be sure to install the game in a mod folder if it's not.

What's included in this version:
    - Fifteen playable factions: The Kingdom of Hyrule, Gerudo, Gorons, Zora, Kokiri, Gohma, Ordona Province, Lanayru Province, Deku Tribes, Stalfos, Moblins, Sheikah, Darknut Legion, Lizalfos, and the Labrynna Regime
    - Custom Battle, Multiplayer, and Quick Battle support

What's not included in this version:
    - No campaign.
    - No custom voiceovers or sound effects yet. (Voices are disabled for now)

New Features/Fixes since last version:
    - Added the Labrynna Regime as a playable faction
    - Fixed framerate issues on the main menu background animation

Known Bugs:

- Wallmaster and Floormaster animations are bugged.
    - Victim death animations against Deku Scrubs and Ordon Goats is bugged, skeletons may warp drastically during sequence.
    - Siege Battles are still buggy and unstable. Play these at your own risk.
    - Ordona Hawks and Aeralfos will not fly over walls/structures in siege battles.
    - Sapphire Warden's Blue Fire attack has red fire tips. Will be fixed in a future patch.
    - Setting rupees to max in custom battles allows duplicate heroes to be selected.

idea. some buildings would require resource buildings like watermills(improves trade and growth) would need a river and advanced crops would need plains
    Last edited by Opus; October 09, 2011 at 11:33 PM.

@UndyingNephalim
    if i get your meaning you would put the towers for the Kokiri as trees. that would work but i thought they didnt have walls or at least would chop down trees to build them(they live in what looks like stumps)
    the unit i suggested was for defending key parts of the forest and villages. great looking mod so just do what you think is best and it will probaly be better than my ideas cause i have no idea how you do stuff like this.

EDIT: but i would like to help. probably something that requires no artistic skill like scripting or coding
    EDIT: come to think of it those stumps look a awful lot like deku trees that were killed possibly by a manipulative out cast who then used what was left of them as a breeding ground for his experimental army composed of weird plant people(I cant think of them as anything but creepy after i seen the adult form)
    Last edited by Opus; October 10, 2011 at 12:04 AM.

And I have something else positive to say:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Hyrule: Total War Demo 2.3
    Download Link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P71M24BY

Requirements:
    Kingdoms Expansion pack
    Installation: Simply run the installer. The default directory might not match yours though, so be sure to install the game in a mod folder if it's not.

What's included in this version:
    - Fifteen playable factions: The Kingdom of Hyrule, Gerudo, Gorons, Zora, Kokiri, Gohma, Ordona Province, Lanayru Province, Deku Tribes, Stalfos, Moblins, Sheikah, Darknut Legion, Lizalfos, and the Labrynna Regime
    - Custom Battle, Multiplayer, and Quick Battle support

What's not included in this version:
    - No campaign.
    - No custom voiceovers or sound effects yet. (Voices are disabled for now)

New Features/Fixes since last version:
    - Added the Labrynna Regime as a playable faction
    - Fixed framerate issues on the main menu background animation

Known Bugs:

- Wallmaster and Floormaster animations are bugged.
    - Victim death animations against Deku Scrubs and Ordon Goats is bugged, skeletons may warp drastically during sequence.
    - Siege Battles are still buggy and unstable. Play these at your own risk.
    - Ordona Hawks and Aeralfos will not fly over walls/structures in siege battles.
    - Sapphire Warden's Blue Fire attack has red fire tips. Will be fixed in a future patch.
    - Setting rupees to max in custom battles allows duplicate heroes to be selected.

It's not working, telling me I've exceeded my download limit... what do I do to fix this!

*EDIT* Nevermind, suddenly started working.... that was odd.

*EDIT2* Error alert! faction_banner_labrynna.texture is not in the cabinet file. I can't play the demo because it wont download any further, and simply reverts to the previous version.

I

AM

DISAPPOINT!!

LET ME PLAY WITHOUT THE FLAG THEN, STUPID INSTALLER!
    Last edited by Ethereal Lancer 916; October 10, 2011 at 12:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal Lancer 916 View Post
    It's not working, telling me I've exceeded my download limit... what do I do to fix this!

*EDIT* Nevermind, suddenly started working.... that was odd.

*EDIT2* Error alert! faction_banner_labrynna.texture is not in the cabinet file. I can't play the demo because it wont download any further, and simply reverts to the previous version.

I

AM

DISAPPOINT!!

LET ME PLAY WITHOUT THE FLAG THEN, STUPID INSTALLER!
    what i do is delete the last version entirely from the game, then install the new one

Patrician Artifex

Yes be sure to completely delete any older versions of this mod before installing a new version.

Quote Originally Posted by Shugo560 View Post
    what i do is delete the last version entirely from the game, then install the new one
    Did that work for you? Just want to be sure, it seems that a file is missing. But I'll give it a shot I guess.

*EDIT*
    "The cabinet file 'disk1.cab' required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used"

Now what? This sounds much worse than before.

Please answer soon. I wont sleep well if something on my computer is screwed up.....
    Last edited by Ethereal Lancer 916; October 10, 2011 at 12:58 AM.