Thread: Hyrule: Total War - Link to Subforums in First Post

Default Re: Hyrule: Total War - Epic Legend of Zelda Warfare

I was under the impression that you had no fondness for trains, steamboats and the likes in Zelda. Guess I got that wrong.

My guess is he does like trains and steam-stuff, just not the stuff in spirit tracks like HOLY SHIZZIT ITS CHILDISH!

UndyingNephalim's Avatar Primicerius
    Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Serkol View Post
    I was under the impression that you had no fondness for trains, steamboats and the likes in Zelda. Guess I got that wrong.
    I personally don't really like the steamboat and I certainly do not like the train in Spirit Tracks. I'm just saying steam powered machinery has been prevalent in Zelda since as far back as Majora's Mask so it's completely within the bounds of already established canon for such things to exist.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by LordKorloros View Post
    My guess is he does like trains and steam-stuff, just not the stuff in spirit tracks like HOLY SHIZZIT ITS CHILDISH!

It's steampunk mechs, man! You don't even need as much valid reasoning as he has to include that brand of Epic!

....And I don't think Goht is technically steam-powered. I'd guess he runs on electricity. Which, yeah, SEEMS like there'd be steam power beforehand, but if you're a demon/moblin/wizard/wizzrobe who can throw lightning around, well, it's probably easier to get lightning than steam.
    Last edited by FFfanboyX; September 29, 2011 at 09:04 PM.
    "You know, for you, I guess that might have been something. Bunch of goblins come out of nowhere trying to give you a welcoming gift of stabby death, Ted crashing a building, me delivering electric death to all of the above.....don't worry, though. You'll get used to it. I mean, look at me; this is just tuesday to me now."

".....But it's monday...."

"Well, yes. Ted crashed the building earlier than he usually does."

-Damien Arn, angry SOB, chatting with the new guy.

From a sprite comic I might never actually publish anywhere.

good mercanarie idea anokki http://zeldawiki.org/Anouki
    possible mercanarie description: hylians who have survived the frozen tundra and addapted back to there animal persanalitys to survive they now side with the stronget armies

Quote Originally Posted by UndyingNephalim View Post
    steam powered machinery has been prevalent in Zelda since as far back as Majora's Mask so it's completely within the bounds of already established canon for such things to exist.
    Prevalent on the Great Sea and thereafter perhaps, one unique instance in Termina isn't really enough to call it prevalent. Especially since Termina is the land of unexplained ceiling fans, strobe lights and aliens.

...I hope you're not going to include the latter as mercenaries on account that they're canon.
    I mean, as it's been said, it's your mod so it's your call, but... I really hate those guys and their techno music.

Patrician Artifex

Prevalent on the Great Sea and thereafter perhaps, one unique instance in Termina isn't really enough to call it prevalent. Especially since Termina is the land of unexplained ceiling fans, strobe lights and aliens.

...I hope you're not going to include the latter as mercenaries on account that they're canon.
    I mean, as it's been said, it's your mod so it's your call, but... I really hate those guys and their techno music.
    I guess I'll put it this way (and hopefully not come off as too arrogant..), but when have I ever made something for this mod that is not epic and extremely out of place with Zelda?

Lord Wiffleby's Avatar Decanus

I guess I'll put it this way (and hopefully not come off as too arrogant..), but when have I ever made something for this mod that is not epic and extremely out of place with Zelda?
    I think we can handle a little bit of arrogance. Besides, I don't think anyone else here could possibly make this mod, so I don't mind (and I'm sure others don't) when you make a decision I (and/or everyone else) don't agree with. That said, I love the the mod and its progress thus far, and I'm actually very much looking forward to seeing Labrynna and giving them a test drive... when the time for that comes, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal Lancer 916 View Post
    I restate my recommendation for a pike unit for the Labrynnians. Something to hold them over for melee infantry in the early era, before the steam mechs and such. Basically a Renaissance-ey army until all the cool steam stuff is ready in campaign mode. But hey, your mod, do as you will. Also, my Darknut V Knuckle V Dams Grachs battle ended in favor of the Darknuts. Knuckles basically hit me (The Darknuts) head on, and then got sandwiched between me and the Dams Grachs. That was fun, can't wait to add Steam Mechs to the brawl!
    That'd be great to see.

I've got to say that the lizardos faction is awesome. I didn't think I'd like them, but once again they all seem so natural.

Any ideas for what to do with Ralph yet? I can't help but see him as some sort of eccentric Labrynnian superhero, with his cape used for gliding, shoes as rocket (!) boots, double steam-pistol thingies, a rapier, and possibly a single-shot bazooka type weapon.

Patrician Artifex

@Lord Wiffleby
    Instant +rep.

@WindGuru
    I don't think Ralph will have any pistols and I don't think the Labrynnians will have any pistols either. He's probably just going to be the socially awkward weirdo knight he was in OoA.

Since this was the only Labrynnian military unit ever shown in OoA I sort of have more creative freedom then normal with them, and yet at the same time I'm sort of restricted since going too far will probably make them not fit in well with all the other races.

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

This looks like total war for toddlers. I mean those units look like characters from my daughter's cartoons and stuff... Just a comment from someone who never seen anything like this in a total war...

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Vladyvid View Post
    This looks like total war for toddlers. I mean those units look like characters from my daughter's cartoons and stuff... Just a comment from someone who never seen anything like this in a total war...

Really?

First time I see this trailer. Awesome! +rep

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam
    ~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

got a new list.

possible mercs:

Patrician Artifex

And no one else is going to address the "Toddler Total War"?

I guess it's just more fuel for me to claim Nintendo has slowly been killing their franchise by making it appeal to younger kids.

Lord Wiffleby's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Vladyvid View Post
    This statement reminds of when anime first arrived in the United States and people believed that hentai was for kids, because they did not do the research. All they saw was something that looked animated. In other words, don't be fooled by what you may call a childish appearance. I can only barely understand that sentiment since I'm an anime nerd (a.k.a. otaku), but I can see how people would be in accordance with your assessment. That said, this could a case of a crapsaccharine world, so your theories about its appearance may be more accurate than I previously stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Wiffleby View Post
    This statement reminds of when anime first arrived in the United States and people believed that hentai was for kids, because they did not do the research. All they saw was something that looked animated. In other words, don't be fooled by what you may call a childish appearance. I can only barely understand that sentiment since I'm an anime nerd (a.k.a. otaku), but I can see how people would be in accordance with your assessment. That said, this could a case of a crapsaccharine world, so your theories about its appearance may be more accurate than I previously stated.
    You sir win a lifetime supply of man points for using so many tvtropes links! I'd like to add the points mentioned on said-website's Animation Age Ghetto too. Just because something looks childish, doesn't mean it is, and because something looks realistic doesn't mean its not childish (I'm looking at the endless amount of shooters which all subconsciously cater to the 13-year old screaming pre-teen demographic)

Well well well.

Just tested all these new things (all means Stalfos - Moblins - Sheikahs - Darknuts and Lizalfos)

This. Is. AWESOME !
    I was not so fond of the moblins (I tend to dislike factions with too many units) but the rest was really, really good. I'd even say that there is quite a difference between the new factions and the old ones in term of design, maybe it will be necessary to re-work the old ones in the end.
    The Lizalfos were just how I expected. They indeed are my favorites as of now. I like how they are not too few nor too many, just the right number. Fast, decently strong units, with good terrain bonuses.
    As for the Darknuts, I had a lot of fun with them. Few, but devastating.
    Speaking about small groups, the Sheikahs were nice too, but I think you should add a little bit more of them, because they are way not as strong as darknuts, but their number is quite similar.

And that's about it for my impressions now, I have to play some more games.

And no one else is going to address the "Toddler Total War"?
    Nah, not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Wiffleby View Post
    I think we can handle a little bit of arrogance. Besides, I don't think anyone else here could possibly make this mod, so I don't mind (and I'm sure others don't) when you make a decision I (and/or everyone else) don't agree with. That said, I love the the mod and its progress thus far, and I'm actually very much looking forward to seeing Labrynna and giving them a test drive... when the time for that comes, of course.
    This. When one has the talent to make a MOD like yours Nephalim, a little arrogance is not just warranted, it's outright prescribed.

But I've got to correct you: not everything needs to be epic, and you admitted yourself that the Deku Scrubs are the humorous faction. Which they are, delightfully so

As for things that might not be Zelda like, if we look solely at the units themselves the only one I could find would be Sulkaris. That thing is kind of weird...
    If we look into the backstory of the various factions, there are some things that may come off as extraneous to Zelda (such as unjustified racial hatred... thinking of the Labrynnians here).
    But I promised myself when I signed up that I would not harp on story (backstories included).
    So yeah, barring that everything so far has been awesomely full of Zeldaness

By the way, while looking back through the thread to answer your question (yeah, I'm obsessive), I found a couple things I'd like to bring up. Don't mind if I do

The Gohma have banners. They look great that's not the problem. The thing is... where do these come from? They look a bit too manmade to be the work of a bunch of bugs. I mean, can you imagine these guys making perfect wood poles and sawing colorful banners?
    I'd suggest making them look cruder, perhaps only in black and white, with imperfect hems and using clearly natural poles (like bamboo) to hold them up.

I like these guys, but... how come Lanayru Zoras don't ride them? That'd be more interesting and unique than horses.

I notice that Ikana is still listed as a faction. How will they differ from the Stalfos?

And lastly, some stuff from old posts
    Those are a tower version of the Hylian shields used by the Castle Guards. They are designed to provide more vertical cover then the normal Hylian shields. The reason the coat of arms is so small is because it would look funky if it was vertically stretched across a Tower Sheild.
    I agree, it'd look bad... but maybe you should extend the blue part a bit? Otherwise it seems like the just pasted a Hylian shield decal on their longer shields.

The "humans" in this mod are the Ordonians (I don't use the term Human because until Twilight Princess the word Human never showed up in the series, I still firmly believe that it was a mistranslation during localization).
    Actually the word human has been around since Majora's Mask (continuing to pop up now and then).
    Back then, I had the exact same reaction to this as you (thought it a mistranslation). Mostly because I had never noticed that people in the first NES game other than Link and Impa (and presumably Zelda as well, but we don't see hers. I think) appear to have round ears.
    But more importantly... did you mean only Ordonians? Because Labrynnians (and... Holodrumians?) have round ears too.

Both new characters:

and familiar ones:

And yes it's a deliberate choice, not forgetfullness on the arist's side. Important characters like Link, Zelda and Impa have pointy ears, as does

Looking back at it actually the only person referred to as a human in Twilight Princess is Link, whom Midna is always asking to change back into his "human" form. This leads me to still believe "human" is a mistranslation because Link is Hylian, not Ordonian or human.
    Oh, actually I can clear this up, if you'd like me to (and no, it's not due to a mistranslation). I figured I'd ask if you care to read about it before spontaneously going on a lecture or something
    Last edited by Duke Serkol; September 30, 2011 at 08:30 PM.

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Is that... Mario?