Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another World War.... WWYD

Default Another World War.... WWYD

What would you do? Would you fight? Contiencious objection?

Personally, I dunno. Its hard, I'm an Indian and this is the first generation that was born in England. My parents count themselves Indian before British, and so do my sisters. Its a hard decision, but in the end I probably would go. Et tu?

I'm joining the army, as of the 6th of februari, i'll have little choice as to whether I want to fight or not, since i'll have a 13 year contract

Good for you, mate. God save the Queen

King Henry V's Avatar Behold your King

Should my country be theatened I would join up and defend it. However, this does not include fighting in some God-forsaken hell hole thousands of miles from home for some politicians.
    Vassal of the most puissant Sheriff, imb39
    Suzerain of the valorous Castellan, scottishranger and of the preux Knight and Master Crafstman Atterdag

Former Editor of the Helios, Councillor of the Concilium de Civitate and Councillor of Peace.
    "Quatscht Studium, Verbindung ist die Hauptsache!" Heinrich Mann, Der Untertan
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" Lord Byron

Depends on what the world war is about. Something like WW2 would have me accept conscription, I think. But a more political war, such as Vietnam, Korea, IRAQ..I'd probably not fight.

I would have leapt to say "National guard", as I stand by the idea of the defense of my nation...but the national guard has become a sort of 'extra' army now..so dunno.

Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I'm a broken down old wreck, so my greatest ambition would be to not be part of a rounding error in civilian casualty figures
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

United States Army Reserve . . . be all you can be, on the weekends.

On a more serious note, I plan to enroll in ROTC in college (at least for a year and see if I like it, as you don't have to sign until the third year). So no matter what the war, if the US was threatened I would probably be there (assuming it starts when I'm old enough to be able to fight). But I would not want to fight in a purely political war with no cause.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

et decorum est pro patria mori

Nah I struggle to find anything which would make me voluntarily or even be forced to kill for a country. World war 2 is possibly an exceptional situation, it would need to be on that scale before I would even allow the possibility to enter my mind.

I'm a pragmatic pacifist. I have no problems in defending myself personally from aggressors, but I will make every effort to avoid it. The same applies on a national scale.

Civitate

World War 3 is inevitable and close by. Those who do not see it are either blind or fools. I will probably fight in it. I will not fight for my country (because it is not a sweet and seemingly thing to die for once country) but for humanity that they may have the freedom I hold so dear.
    In patronicvm svb Jesus The Inane

I don't believe there will ever be a World War III, at least not a conventional one. If there's going to be a world war, it will probably be a nuclear one, so joining the army or not will probably make no difference at all...

Anyway, there's not going to be such a war in years to come. At the moment the West rules supreme, and potentially dangerous rivals (China, India) are clearly 'Westernizing', so I think relations with them will only improve (if we work for it, that is). The Middle East is nothing but a nuissance, a bug that can be squashed easily, if it'd ever come to that. And I can't think of any other country that could pose a threat. So, no war in sight if you ask me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ecclesiastes
    World War 3 is inevitable and close by. Those who do not see it are either blind or fools. I will probably fight in it. I will not fight for my country (because it is not a sweet and seemingly thing to die for once country) but for humanity that they may have the freedom I hold so dear.
    Oh dear am I blind or foolish what to do?

With the westernised countries being so large, powerful and rich I fail to see what could start a world war. Who would fight who? The economies that could fund one are so reliant now on peace with a vast majority of countries they would collapse, and since money is the driving force in the world today it isn't going to happen. Theres to much monay to be made in peace.

Peter

Civitate

Almost everything you own is made in China so guess what will happen when China decides to take what they think is rightfully theirs. That's right: Taiwan. America will of course not take this and give them an ultimatum. China will continue and either America will take actions or hide in a corner. I think they will take actions. I can not look into the future but this is what I think will happen. China's military might not be as good as the American miltary but they make up with this considering there are a billion Chinese. Arabs will join in the fun because they despise Americans. There you have it, world market will collapse and total war has begun. Looks like paranoia doesn't it but I assure you you'll only have to wait a couple of years or perhaps not even that...

Wicked's Avatar Mike Hunt

Probably try to start my own country somewhere, happens often enough in "peacetime" (i.e. when the major nations are more or less at peace), definitely happens during large wars, nations lose control of large areas, instability, people looking for order, various factions eager to finance a revolt or emerging government.

Personally I would go for a Tolkien scenario, you know, Gondor & Arnor, found a government, and use various incentives to get Western colonists to come, especially considering that it would most likely be one of the areas that has proven unable to govern itself post-colonialism, go for a melding of cultures, probably start off by revoking citizenship from the current populace, downgrading them to naturalized resident status, then offering ways to gain citizenship, mostly connected to government programs, make them work for it, eliminate the idiotic tradition of citizenship at birth, you are born a resident, you earn citizenship, regardless of race, religion or ethnicity.

Obviously have significant rights for non-citizens, not looking to create a serf state, equal legal protection would be offered, but much of the really important stuff would be citizen-only, voting of course being one, the military and government service would be one way to gain it, or enlisting in a land reclamation project in a dangerous border area, i.e. colonists in the original sense, with a semi feudal structure, as in certain special rights for the colony until it was upgraded to a standard province, incentives and such.

Essentially create an expatriate Western state, one that isn't following the self-destructive economic & social policies of the current ones, probably main concern would be keeping the fundie nutters who thought this was the new promised land out, look towards Eastern Europe for a lot of the newcomers, much of Western Europe & America have lost the expansionist frontier mentality, too pampered.

A very free state, none of this religion this & morals that, and capitalistic to the hilt, no handouts, although that doesn't mean no incentives...like the colonies, nice way out for the urban poor, which in turn opens up new city planning options, try to create a good foundation for industrializing the country, one area where the newcomers could come in handy, become one of those nations that the West is short-sightedly exporting all their industry & tech centers to.

Remain expansionist, look towards space eventually, the new frontier, huge potential there, basically become a repository of Western values and culture, a strong, growing one, ready to lead the way elsewhere, sort of an odd cross between Athens & Sparta.

In any case....that's my ambition, not much point to dieing to defend a stagnant nation blindly cutting it's own legs off industrially & technologically while it plays cheap population-reduction games with other nations living in the past, one should never die just to maintain the status quo, WW1 is a great example of the idiocy of that ideal, masked though it may be behind "patriotism", me, I'm lookin' to expand...

-Wicked
    Client of Marshal Qin.

"Lift not my head from bloody ground,
    Bear not my body home,
    For all the earth is Roman earth,
    And I shall die in Rome." - G. K. Chesterton.

Almost everything you own is made in China so guess what will happen when China decides to take what they think is rightfully theirs. That's right: Taiwan. America will of course not take this and give them an ultimatum. China will continue and either America will take actions or hide in a corner. I think they will take actions. I can not look into the future but this is what I think will happen. China's military might not be as good as the American miltary but they make up with this considering there are a billion Chinese. Arabs will join in the fun because they despise Americans. There you have it, world market will collapse and total war has begun. Looks like paranoia doesn't it but I assure you you'll only have to wait a couple of years or perhaps not even that...
    The proof against your arguement is in your arguement. Everything I own is made in china, so what happens if they start a war and get a trade embargo, their economy collapses because their booming economy is entirely reliant on exportation, a strong manufacturing base which is funding their development.

The Arabian countries have no military to speak of, Israel alone could fight off the combined arab military alone. Indiaa and pakistan are to concerned with each other and have very close ties to the west if one broke away then the other would turn on them

China doesn't want to self destruct, they are not crazed megalomaniacs they will carefully weigh each decision and only do things to benefit their economy and growth. The more they grow the more westernised they become and the less chance of a war ever happening. Democracy will happen in China in the next 50 years.

War between westernised countries is virtually impossible, that is why every war since ww2 has been between or against backwards undemocratic countries.

Peter

Very few options since Finland has mandatory military service. I did my "time" at the end of last millenia so I have been about half a decade in reserves. Not first to get thrown in but not the last either.

Everyone is warhero, genius and millionaire in Internet, so don't be surprised that I'm not impressed.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by cowen70
    The proof against your arguement is in your arguement. Everything I own is made in china, so what happens if they start a war and get a trade embargo, their economy collapses because their booming economy is entirely reliant on exportation, a strong manufacturing base which is funding their development.
    America will have to make the things China made. This will be impossible for them because the salaries are much much higher for them which will cause to much costs. The weel turns both ways.

The Arabian countries have no military to speak of, Israel alone could fight off the combined arab military alone. Indiaa and pakistan are to concerned with each other and have very close ties to the west if one broke away then the other would turn on them
    Nonsence. Israel can't fight of nukes which the Arabs will definatly throw because that is how desperate they are.

India and Pakistan are westerned but China is not.

China doesn't want to self destruct, they are not crazed megalomaniacs they will carefully weigh each decision and only do things to benefit their economy and growth. The more they grow the more westernised they become and the less chance of a war ever happening. Democracy will happen in China in the next 50 years.
    That is basically what it's all about. There are 2 options: or China becomes western or there will come a war. Not because China wont be western but they make their own plans which wont be aproved by America.

War between westernised countries is virtually impossible, that is why every war since ww2 has been between or against backwards undemocratic countries.
    True but I do not consider China a western country atleast not yet.

America will have to make the things China made. This will be impossible for them because the salaries are much much higher for them which will cause to much costs. The weel turns both ways.
    You totally missed the point, losing the income from its manufacturing industries would completely destroy china. That is the top and bottom of it, without the trade with the western world China's economy would collapse. Ours would not, we would perhaps see a very harsh recession due to the lack of trade, this is something that could be offset though by the reintegration of manufacturing in our economies, jobs we previously lost due to companies outsourcing to make more profit. If this is no longer an option we would see a huge amount of job creation for relatively unskilled workers which at the moment we seem to have an abundance of.

Nonsence. Israel can't fight of nukes which the Arabs will definatly throw because that is how desperate they are.
    No arabian countries have nuclear weapons, Israel do. Plus MAD will stop anyone from launching nuclear attacks as they would be signing their own death warrants.

India and Pakistan are westerned but China is not.
    India and pakistan are not westernised really. China is fast becoming so.

That is basically what it's all about. There are 2 options: or China becomes western or there will come a war. Not because China wont be western but they make their own plans which wont be aproved by America.
    So? America can justify a war against Iraq because its a relatively small country with a terrorist leader who may have supported terrorism, something china agrees with combatting. China has a permanent seat on the security council so it is hardly likely that America could initiate any action against them. They would get no support from Europe and would probably face sanctions. Plus the USA is not an autocracy, some support was given to Iraq because of 9/11 if they try starting another war it is political suicide.

True but I do not consider China a western country atleast not yet.
    Not yet but it is rapidly becoming so.

Peter

Civitate

You totally missed the point, losing the income from its manufacturing industries would completely destroy china. That is the top and bottom of it, without the trade with the western world China's economy would collapse. Ours would not, we would perhaps see a very harsh recession due to the lack of trade, this is something that could be offset though by the reintegration of manufacturing in our economies, jobs we previously lost due to companies outsourcing to make more profit. If this is no longer an option we would see a huge amount of job creation for relatively unskilled workers which at the moment we seem to have an abundance of.
    It will effect America a lot harder then you describe.

No arabian countries have nuclear weapons, Israel do. Plus MAD will stop anyone from launching nuclear attacks as they would be signing their own death warrants.
    Not yet but when America is busy with China they can make them. Don't you watch the news? Arabs/Muslims don't care about death. If they die killing a few infidels then they think they will go to heaven so their morale is as high as can be. Because of this they are so dangerous.

So? America can justify a war against Iraq because its a relatively small country with a terrorist leader who may have supported terrorism, something china agrees with combatting. China has a permanent seat on the security council so it is hardly likely that America could initiate any action against them. They would get no support from Europe and would probably face sanctions. Plus the USA is not an autocracy, some support was given to Iraq because of 9/11 if they try starting another war it is political suicide.
    They can justify a war against China if China desides to take over Taiwan. Taiwan knows the possibility of this and that is why they are America's but buddy's.

Holger Danske's Avatar Comes Limitis

Damn you are one paranoid man!!

It will effect America a lot harder then you describe.
    But not as bad as china, do you accept that chinas economy would totally collapse as I have mentioned it three times and you keep skipping it.

Not yet but when America is busy with China they can make them. Don't you watch the news? Arabs/Muslims don't care about death. If they die killing a few infidels then they think they will go to heaven so their morale is as high as can be. Because of this they are so dangerous.
    No thats what the whole Iran thing is about. Don YOU watch the news

They can justify a war against China if China desides to take over Taiwan. Taiwan knows the possibility of this and that is why they are America's but buddy's.
    And this is why they don't bacause its a stalemate situation. Even if china did move what makes you think USA would declare war? The actions would be taken through the UN, a move that big would not be undertaken alone USA wouldn't want the financial burden as a war like that would be to expensive.

Look at it like this if as you say the loss of exports would cripple america then why would america cripple its own economy. Its not exactly logical.

Peter

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast