Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Castle Sieges

Sarge_Scot's Avatar Foederatus

Default Castle Sieges

The one thing I was really looking forward to in Rome Total War was the ability to assault walls. Although I did enjoy defending cities, I was dissapointed because the battle would occur only on a small porion of the wall. Eventually, these battles just became tedious.

But now with M2TW, true castle assaults will occur, with multiple rings of walls, with enemy armies attacking the entire castle. Anybody else excited as I am for this feature? Think of the gameplay possibilities! Battles will be totally vicious, unlike they were in Rome. Post your thoughts and even your wet dreams about M2TW if you want.

Indefinitely Banned

Yeah, this is one feature I'm really anticipating. I can't wait to try out the new sieges, and from the bits that are visible in screenshots, it looks like they've really improved castles/cities from other TW games.

Scar Face's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

I haven't seen any castle attack pics can someone show me some? Until I do All I can say is that it's most likely going to be half assed and not to get your hopes up. Though I could be wrong- I've only seen around 4 pics.

Scarface: Try going to IGN.com and reading the interwiew. There's some pics at the bottom, about 11, so check them out.

Indefinitely Banned

The best caste shot I've found:

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/800/80...g_3334063.html

(well it really isn't a castle, but still cool)

Savage_Swede's Avatar Carolus Rex

Yeah i hope the sieges in MTW 2 will be better than those in RTW. I wanted sieges to be more like Medieval I when you could defend the first gate, the fall back to the second then a last heroic stand at the last gate

And i hope theres still ladders, i havent seen anything about it.

Sig by Lord Rahl
    Under the patronage of Obi Wan Asterix

Europa Barbarorum, what RTW should have been.

Indefinitely Banned

Here's a better shot: http://media.pc.ign.com/media/800/80...g_3334164.html

Looks like the different levels of defense will still be there for Castles, good news.

Scar Face's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Atheist Peace
    Here's a better shot: http://media.pc.ign.com/media/800/80...g_3334164.html

Looks like the different levels of defense will still be there for Castles, good news.
    Is it august yet?

Slaxx Hatmen's Avatar This isn't the crisis!

Quote Originally Posted by Scar_Face
    Is it august yet?
    What happens in August?

Ontopic:The castle sieges sound like fun! I wonder if we'll be able to tear buildings down again like in MTW1, i'd loved how when you tore everything down and just utterly sacked the city when you came back to the campiagn map, all that was left was a fort! Now imagine sacking Constaninople(or defending it) with these graphics!
    Under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

I read that the buildings will all be 'totally destructable'. So do you think that'll mean an end to the experience of seeing the same piece of wall destroyed every time? Will it be more like the Geo-Mod feature in games like Red Faction and Half Life 2? Also, how do you suppose that they'll implement both castles AND cities?

Slaxx Hatmen's Avatar This isn't the crisis!

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith Darksea
    I read that the buildings will all be 'totally destructable'. So do you think that'll mean an end to the experience of seeing the same piece of wall destroyed every time? Will it be more like the Geo-Mod feature in games like Red Faction and Half Life 2? Also, how do you suppose that they'll implement both castles AND cities?
    Take a look at the first pic Atheist Peace posted Zenith, if you look really carefully, you can see a Castle and a ringed wall inside the city to the far left.
    Last edited by Slaxx Hatmen; January 21, 2006 at 06:17 PM.
    Under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I

Castles look alot better, I always thought that stone walls were too tall in RTW (And epic was just silly) these new walls look alot better and are a good height. I just hope that they get rid of the auto-fire towers, never a fan of them myself. Besides that, MTW II sieges sound alot more interesting =D.

I need another 512k ram and a new card, quick!

I don't really like sieges (heresy!) so as long as they try to change how it happened in RTW (where the units seemed like robots marching on the walls) it's fine by me.
    浪人 - 二天一

Are the castles going to get set up like forts in RTW? I'm curious as to how castels and cities will differ.

I think castles will be like forts in Rome in that you can build them anywhere, but I think you might be able to train units with them. At least, that would be a cool feature. Maybe cities and castle will be sort of combined, so that when a city is attacked, everybody might go to the castle. Or if a city is taken, the castle is like a last stand, and must be taken as well before the province is completely conquered. Either way I think castles will be a huge gameplay factor.

Oh, and Manji, I think you would do well to upgrade, because requirements are going to go way up in the next year. I just got a Radeon X800XT 256mb, so I'll be okay for a while. You can get a good video card for around 300 dollars, and a stick of 1GB ram for about $80.

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

Quote Originally Posted by Corporal_Hicks
    Are the castles going to get set up like forts in RTW? I'm curious as to how castels and cities will differ.
    Like I said before, forts will probably be in the forms of Keeps from MTW.

And I have some serious upgrading to do also......damn.....good thing I have more than half a year to do it

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

I am quite certain that a Castle will simply be a city...

You can choose to build up a town into a huge urban city, or into a compact extremely strong fortress with ring walls and all that good stuff. I can also imagine that these would have consequences on the morale of the populous. Perhaps an ordinary city would make more money than a castle type city.

Fabolous's Avatar Power breeds Arrogance

I would really like to see a good siege system. I am not really a fan of sieges in prior TW games because often the system has been weak. I hope to see this fixed.
    tBP knows how to handle a sword. -Last Crusader

Under the Honorable Patronage of Belisarius
    Formerly Under the Patronage of Simetrical
    Proud Patron of Lusted, Rome AC, Solid, and Dirty Peasant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast