View Poll Results: Should he be a civitates?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 7.69%
  • No

10 76.92%
  • Abstain

2 15.38%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [FAILED]: Lord William (Patron: Drtad)

Default [FAILED]: Lord William (Patron: Drtad)

Patron: Drtad

Greetings, members of the CdeC.

I humbly come before you to present a long-time member whose contributions to TWC have been great. Lord William has been a quality editor of the Eagle Standard and has written exceptional articles (links in his application). From my experience with him it is evident that he is very friendly, enthusiastic, and conducts himself very well. It is my hope that you all agree with my assessment of Lord William and that he is deserving of the rank of Citizen.

Sincerely, Drtad

Applicant: Lord William

Greetings honorable Lords and ladies of the CdeC, it is with a humble pleasure that I may bring forth my application for citizenship. As to the purpose of my application I think is quite evident, like every other citizen I wish to make a difference. It has always been elusive dreams of mine to one day take part in the daily functions of the forum, i.e. policy making, moderation, and or some other form of administration.

“What man is a man who does not make the world better”

This is a quote from the kingdom of heaven, which I believe applies to the contributions all members of TWC, we all rely on each other to continue the normal functions of the forum. Now if we all stopped contributing (take our share of work) the forum would slowly die, which is why I feel a certain responsibility towards the forum to continue contributing and if possible contributing more.

Contributions:
    - I will start by stating my role-playing as a contribution, it is not always easy coming up with different and exciting ideas to invoke role-play. You will find a lot of the times role-plays die off within the first couple of weeks they start. Though I would never fully take credit for the activity boasting ideas but I do contribute a lot and Major darling can confirm this
    - I am also the Section Editor for the Captain’s Cabin, ES newspaper
    - I have published 5 articles for ES, and one more coming for the February issue
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=299152
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=413579
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=409476
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=413721
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=420888

I would like to add that my first act as a citizen would be to continue to work and make TWC better

Thank you very much for your time
    Regards
    LW
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

Default Re: Applicant: Lord William (Patron: Drtad)

I experience him daily in the RPG that he plays in, no one causes more headaches for the local game mods or annoyances to the players than him.. However, I am willing to overlook that, now let me begin digging. His ideas for creating roleplay usually consist of, "Become Archbishop, kill all who oppose, cause civil war, disappear, repeat cycle 2 months later".

Also, all of his ES Stuff are interviews.. Who is the one who actually does most of the writing, the Interviewer, or the Interviewee?

When looking at this I can only help but think back to my own application: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=major+darling

If it was solely based on ES Interviews, i doubt I would have passed.. Instead it was supplemented by several months section editing, writing for other parts of the ES, Script Experience, Forum moderation and Helios work... To quote Augustus Lucifer who represents my current thoughts

Regarding his ES contributions, they're about what I've come to expect from the majority of publication articles. We have the problem of interviews, which is that the majority of questions, if not all, have been codified. So the interviewer is pretty much sending a predetermined set of questions to someone they find to interview, and then posting the answers. It's hard to really determine where interviews stack up, because neither the questions or the answers can be attributed to the writer of that segment, so it leaves plenty to be desired.
    LW has only been section editor for a week or so, and only writes the Interview questions. Perhaps in a few months when we can see his editorial skills blossom, perhaps take on some other writing tasks or apply to the Script when it opens again, I will be more than happy to vote yes.
    Last edited by M D; January 25, 2011 at 12:03 PM.

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

I 'll go with a no for now. Only 6 (i 'll include the one that needs to get released in February) isn't enough of a contribution for me. I 't like to see a bit more.
    Last edited by Hesus de bodemloze; January 26, 2011 at 01:06 PM.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

I agree, I think its clear we have an application well on its way, but not quite there yet.

One interview.
    One article.
    One person reads and enjoys it.
    One contribution.
    One Noble Savage vote.
    Under the protection of jimkatalanos
    with further protection from
    Calvin R.I.P mate, Cúchulainn , Erebus26 , Paggers Jean-Jacques Rousseau
    and Future Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by Hesus de bodemloze View Post
    I 'll go with a now for now. Only 6 (i 'll include the one that needs to get released in February) isn't enough of a contribution for me. I 't like to see a bit more.
    I concur he is not there yet he needs to work in the content a bit more than what he has done so far.
    Last edited by Ishan; January 25, 2011 at 03:42 PM.

6 articles equates to six months of participation in the ES. I'm concerned about his behavior in GSTK as well. I've gotten plenty of complaints about him in the past. All in all I would like him to show he is more mature than what he has shown in GSTK and some more contribution.

Jom's Avatar A Place of Greater Safety
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

As I'm terribly un-original, but also tired due to a late night last night, I'll echo the sentiments of my fellow councillors. He's on his way there, but I'm not quite ready to vote yes yet.

"For what it’s worth: it’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."

I will abstain.

Devoirs The Empress
    The Lordz Modding Collective
    "The LMC expects every modder to do his Duty" - not by Lord Nelson
    "Blow it out your arse." - Halie Satanus
    The Eagle Standard

Saint Nicholas's Avatar No Avatar Specified

Going to abstain for personal reasons on this one. I'll offer my opinion though, he's not ready for citizenship at this time. Interviewing people isn't hard, playing an RPG doesn't really count as a contribution to the forum, managing an RPG would however. Also, he has very recent note for bypassing the censor, I've looked at the post and he probably deserved an infraction for it. His attitude and contributions aren't up to scratch at this point.
    "Muscovy", as its rulers have previously called it, is a sleeping giant, with age-old traditions and ways of doing things. Here, the feudal way of life has become so entrenched that the serfs are as tied to the land as cattle, and with almost as few rights. It is a vast, deeply conservative and religious country: Mother Russia and the Orthodox Church are the two pillars of national belief. The Tsar may be the father of his people, but by tradition and practice he is a stern parent. Ivan the Terrible was well named, and he has not been the only ruler with an iron will. Russia is the "Third Rome". The last bastion of Orthodox Christianity.

Poll?

Voted no for the reasons mentioned above.

Same

y2day's Avatar TWC STORE NOW OPEN!

Just not enough there for citizenship. No for me.

TWC Graphics Workshop Art Competition!!!
    MEMBER OF THE IMPERIAL HOUSE OF HADER

A yep from me ,surprisingly .
    Under the protection of jimkatalanos
    with further protection from
    Calvin R.I.P mate, Cúchulainn , Erebus26 , Paggers Jean-Jacques Rousseau
    and Future Filmmaker

Am I the only one who can't even go to the last two of his links?

The only contribution here seems to be his ES interviews. They're pretty good, but I've done ES interviews before and the amount of work that goes into them is honestly negligible -- you just have to know a bit about their mod (or whatever you're interviewing them for), form some questions, send them to them, and then they do most of the work in actually answering them. I'm not impressed, and with some of the comments about his RPG behavior, I'm going to vote no on this one.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

Jom's Avatar A Place of Greater Safety

Quote Originally Posted by Justinian View Post
    Am I the only one who can't even go to the last two of his links?

The only contribution here seems to be his ES interviews. They're pretty good, but I've done ES interviews before and the amount of work that goes into them is honestly negligible -- you just have to know a bit about their mod (or whatever you're interviewing them for), form some questions, send them to them, and then they do most of the work in actually answering them. I'm not impressed, and with some of the comments about his RPG behavior, I'm going to vote no on this one.
    The last two links are in the Content Staff forum which you would be able to access if you actually came and wrote for The Helios.

This is my position, too.

"For what it’s worth: it’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."

Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    The last two links are in the Content Staff forum which you would be able to access if you actually came and wrote for The Helios.

This is my position, too.
    Still working on that sample article I'm afraid. With work and the new semester I have less time than I thought I would :/

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

Stop derailing the thread, you've been out this game too long old man

Nanny de Bodemloze's Avatar Treason is just dates
    Artifex

This applicant has expressed a desire to have a voice in how things are run at TWC. Flawed though the attempt may be, he stuck to his guns with some pretty heavy hitters appearing in the thread, and further presented a case as to why RPG participation improves the TWC experience for others, and should thus be considered a contribution for the purposes of citizenship. Though I myself do not partake in the site's RPGs, this point of view is making more sense to me each time I hear the debate.

Along a similar vein, he has made other suggestions for non-citizen contributions to the site, and shown willingness to provide ideas on how to implement. Here is an example of an attempt to back up complaints with concrete suggestions for improvement.

Setting aside the validity of his suggestions, I think it important to recognize that a willingness to put one's self out there, go against the grain, and risk some mockery by the people one is trying to endear themselves to, has a quality that should not be quickly overlooked. It is an indication that this applicant has the interests of the site at heart, and that bodes well as an indicator of a future citizen.

I am having a difficult time discerning what his contribution was to the most recently released ES (the 4th link in the application : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=413721), and the final application link seems to be an interview WIP: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=420888 (which I would hope was kosher with the editor to release here before publication).

Overall, I think Content contributions such as interviews are a positive. On the whole, even though I think that the degree of RPG participation by this applicant warrants credit as a good TWC contribution, and the applicant has shown a some initiative in querying and making suggestions to improve the site, I believe the applicant needs more substantive contributions to be considered for citizenship. 3-5 interviews plus RPG participation is just not quite enough yet. I hope to see an application again in the future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast