Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Consulate of Septimus and Poplicola - 540AVC

Default Re: Consulate of Septimus and Poplicola - 540AVC

Palls rounded on Licinius. The snakes were coiling around his arms and he held them firmly behind their heads.

And pray tell, Licinius, what purpose may that be? I have heard for a year as you ranted and raged about me, but each time with reasons as tangible as vapor. So please, enlighten us.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Is this how we propose it then? I took out the part of sacrosanctity because I believe that should remain how it is.

Senatus Consultum de Tribunicia Potestate

I. The office of Plebeian Tribune is to be completely abolished.
    II. Instead, two men will be elected Representatives of the People, one Patrician and one Plebeian
    III. They will hold the power of the veto only if they are both in agreement, if not, then their veto is meaningless

Spoken like a true Patrician, you would love to see a nobleman considered sacrosanct anywhere in Rome.

These are representatives not tribunes.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

I'm still opposing on the grounds that the eventual outcome will be that that Snake Charmer and one of his many boyfriends will have the power to run riot as they see fit.

AspisPhalanx90's Avatar Senator

Septimus sat in his chair, rubbing his head and clearly frustrated over the debate at hand

What then, Senators, would the difference BE exactly from tribune to representative, surely we could just call the two positions tribune still....one of the plebians and of the patricians.
    Flavius Julius Constantinus, adopted Patrician, 30

Quote Originally Posted by AspisPhalanx90 View Post
    Septimus sat in his chair, rubbing his head and clearly frustrated over the debate at hand

What then, Senators, would the difference BE exactly from tribune to representative, surely we could just call the two positions tribune still....one of the plebians and of the patricians.
    I believe even the Snake Charmer knowes what Hypocrisy is.

OOC EDIT:Well lads it's well past my bed time over here,don't burn the Curia again while I'm gone.
    Last edited by War lord; January 25, 2011 at 05:32 PM.

I don't plan to run for the office. But it seems that many would be willing to do certain deeds to see their way is done, and the list does not stop at murder.

Murderers are brought to trial and dealt with accordingly. The only difference between being murdered in here and murdered out there is that there would be no trial in here. I see no difference except that of self-preservation by this senate.

A messenger brings in a note from the province of Illyria.

Lucius throws the note down on the table of his co-consul, a look of disgust on his face as he did so.

Anyone willing to be governors of the provinces will now come forward, it sounds like you will be needed. Pray tell, where is proconsul Scaurus? He should have been back by now, though it seems we might need him again.

Both legions are now prepared, but it would seem that we may have to rethink what we're going to do with them, more specifically, how committed we are to the campaign in Spain.

AspisPhalanx90's Avatar Senator

Septimus looked at Poplicola sternly, as if to ask silently if his disgust is with him and if so what for...he looked at the note

It would seem Philip is ambitious once more. Spain must still remain the primary target, although with intelligence from Scaurus, we have no knowing of the enemies strength. It would seem it is now up to the Senate to put aside their arguing and discuss what we are to do. We have ample funds, so levying a relief army to sail to greece is a possibility. But if this senate does not reach conclusions, then....nevermind, im sure this esteemed group shall make a decision knowing it affects the state of this republic...
    Flavius Julius Constantinus, adopted Patrician, 30

Suddenly rising out of the shadows "Leave Greece to the Macedonians, for once we crush Carthage we WILL crush the Balkans. If we fight a war on two fronts, we WILL NOT come out on top. We will be in a poor position, and the barbarians will press on our borders. 'We must provide in peace what we need in war', but how can we do that if we are at war all the time?" Suddenly feeling the press of eyes, Sextus sat back into the shadow and tugged at a loose string in his cloak.
    Last edited by Royal_McKeogh; January 25, 2011 at 06:08 PM.

I was hoping another would step up instead but I have no choice, since we are leaving for Spain I will have to support Pallas' proposal. I leave the closing of the ballot and the suffectus nominations for governorships in the hands of our capable Praetor.

Septimus, visit my villa later, we must go over the invasion plans once more and discuss any last minute changes.

Lucius prepares to leave the Curia.

If nobody else will I shall govern the province. If we have the money, could we send a half legion of allied men to reinforce the settlement?

The Curia doors opened and Scaurus re-enters, looking visibly aged from his second year abroad in Spain. He sits down at the forefront of the Senate House and after pouring over the scrolls from the scribes, he addresses the Senate

If the Antigonids want to war against us, then we shall take the fight to them. They have not the numbers that we do. If a capable commander were to be sent to Dyrrhacium, then we would stand a chance against the Antigonid kingdom. I am not nominating myself, nor am I accepting nominations of myself abroad. I am old, easily injured, and far more useful as a diplomat than a general. It is time to pass the reins to the younger generation. And if Senator Gotenus is willing to travel to the East and take the fight to the Antigonids, then I have no objections.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Then he shall be sent, Scaurus, I want you to assist the Praetor if you can with the other governors, pick people that you believe are suitable.

Lucius gathered his belongings and began to leave.

We will return, I assure you.

He left the Curia to his Villa.

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

Flavius looks relieved. Is this what the Senate of Rome has come to? An arguing rabble of thugs, trying to accuse each other for his own gains! This is ridiculous, i personally trust Gerges and his office, unlike you, Licinius. Tribunate will stay.
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

Decimus puts his hand on Flavius' shoulder and smiles. My amicus Flavius, you well know that ever since Romulus organized this house that these walls have heard nothing but the cries of men seeking personal advancement. I'd argue that this is what separates us from the barbarians. Better to have a house of 200 ambitious minds than 200 houses led by one each.

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

Flavius hears the words of Septimus. He sees an opportunity. Flavius stands up, saying: I would come with you to relieve Dyrrhachium of it's siege. We do have the numbers, and so one good man could slaughter the macedonians. Seeing that we have no immediate threat in Spain, shipping our troops to attack the *seemingly* weak macedonians and to gain their lands. This war would bring us profit, senators!
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

I had told the Consul Septimus in my domus just before the elections that he should be wary of the Makedonians. According to the small financial report included with Poplicola's attack report, we are not lacking in money. I believe I heard somebody mention mercenaries. I believe this is a good idea as they can be raised quickly and sent from Italy to Illyria. While I know that our current forces are more then capable of defeating this small force, after this small skirmish is taken care of, I know that a full army will soon be on the way.

EDIT: And hopefully, in the future, we should create a third legion with our surplus of cash, and while one consul campaigns in Spain, the other campaigns in Makedon.

When shall the praetor commence the governor elections?
    Last edited by Gotenus; January 26, 2011 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Additions.

Beowulf1990's Avatar Senator

The new senator Tiberius Valerius Scapula enters the Curia, he reads over the scibes' rolls

I do apologise for my late arrival fellow senators, I have only just arrived in the city an hour ago.

Related to the matter of the Macedonian agrression I would suggest not only lifting the siege, but to strike a heavy blow ourselves. If we simply wait, ambitious Phillip will simply send larger forces to the city. After lifting the siege perhaps a Legion of allies would be able to defeat this force and themselves drive east into their own territory. Such an act will prove our strength and give Phillip something to think about.

Surely such an act cannot go unpunished?
    En Romanos, rerum dominos, gentemque togatam!

Thank you for expanding a little on my point, Scapula.

Is consul Septimus still in Rome, or is the praetor going to run the election?