• Gaul

0 0%
  • Greece

1 20.00%
  • Carthage

3 60.00%

Thread: Idea For Multiplayer Campaign

Default Idea For Multiplayer Campaign

Howdy, I have been thinking about this quite a bit, and was just wondering if there would be any interest. I know that there is already a multiplayer mod out, but this is a little different, so please just hear it out.

It seems that there will not be a multiplayer campaign mode for the new MTW 2 (not the topic of this discussion), where I would really like to do this, but it would be really neat to get something like it started in RTW, and hopefully if there is some interest in it, have it carry over into the new MTW 2, when it comes out.

Ok, getting to the point, the way that this was playing out (and quite well) in my head, was... its a multiplayer campaign, but the campaign portion is ran out-of-game, either on a seperate website, or even somewhere on these forums (if the nice TWC folks would let it). Basically, all participants will have the same version of RTW (or a mod if most would prefer), with a custom world map, including many territories and cities, of Italy and surrounding area. Communicating either on forums (would be best, quicker and easier) or through emails, each player will take turns and play on the World Map. When attacking another player, simply boot up RTW, and duke it out in multiplayer. The winner of the battle wins (duh).

->Now, each player will be able to select which faction they would like to fight for (to be decided, but probably the three Roman factions, and surrounding factions), but, each player will be in control of a single General. There would be something like a faction heirarchy, if there are multiple players in a single faction. The faction would form sort of a team, and elect their own Leader, who would have supreme control over that faction.

->To begin, each faction would be given a certain number of denari to be divided up amongst the Generals. Then more denari is gained based on Territories controlled, and other factors. Again, it would be decided how in-depth we wanted to go with it, as it can go pretty deep. We could work out a resource system, perhaps. Or for battles, a % of the enemies killed could be ransomed back to the enemy if he wanted them back. There is a lot we could do, but I'll just try and cover the basics for now.
    -This denari would be spent either on buying new troops, or training (experience), weapons, or armour. We would have to make up a chart to decide how much troops and each upgrade would cost of course.

->If there was a Faction Leader elected, then the denari would be theirs to divy out. This is where it plays out so nicely in my head, as the Leaders will be in total control. For instance, if one of their Generals is doing nicely and winning battles, then the Leader may decide to 'reward' them with more money, and conversely, leave a lesser general with next to nothing. Or maybe that Leader becomes a tyrant, and uses the denari for himself...His generals may decide to try and overthrow him through force.

-> One of the main aspects in this campaign is teamwork, and how each member of a faction must work with the others in order for their faction to win.
    So, since much of the game would be about mingling with your teammates, the fewer the factions there are, the better. Which is why I'd go with only the three Roman factions, and a couple surrounding...Gaul, Greece, Carthage...but, to be decided.

->The campaign would be continuing, and this, I think is where it could also get interesting. There would be 'winners' for periods of time, and this winner would be the leader of the faction that is in control of Rome. The Emperor. Again, could be overthrown by his faction. There would be sort of a leaderboard, and can keep tally of a number of things (victories, territories controlled, enemies killed, and who is the 'Emperor'). Also, the senate could play a very neat part in this sort of thing..but who would be the senate? Well, here's an idea, allow the higher 'ranked' members here at TWC be considered the Senate. They would be able to, if they felt like it, hand out missions, for people to gain favor... It would sort of bring the community into the campaign. Again, to be decided, and could also get pretty in depth.

->So, there would be a map of territories. Each faction would be in control of a number of them, with their units to spread throughout, as they see fit. Spreading lines too thin will obviously lead to undefended borders. The General who owns the units in each territory will always control those units and be in control of that territory. When we have all interested players signed up for a faction, there would be a short period for planning, where each faction can divide up denari, land and units, and try to form any possible strategies that they might use in the campaign.

->Things would be run on a schedule to keep it flowing. Each night would be so and so's faction's turns. And perhaps, they have a set time to move, buy things, take their turns. After this time, the opposing faction would be able to find out if they're being attacked. If so, the two (or more) Generals will fight that battle. This is where the campaign gets a bit tricky.
    -It works out perfectly in theory, but in practice, people have lives.
    Well, each faction would have their own section of a forum to post attacks in, or, the attacking faction will post the attack, and email the opponent. Or if each player could get MSN or something, communication would be much easier. The attacker should post/email the times that are good for them to get this fight going, and the opponent will post/email back the same, hopefully with a set time for this battle to take place.
    -I'd hate for this to turn into an email chess game...so, if a player attacks and does not recieve a reply within a set time, then the enemy army is forced to withdraw. Keeping the flow of the game is essential, and communication is the key to that.
    -What would be best is if all players could simply 'meet up' by looking on the forums, at their emails, or on an IM, to see what is going on. Say 8 PM or so. A faction can spend their time ahead of time on planning what they will do, but at 8, they post and the move is actually made. At best, the turn phase would take no more than an hour. Post attack, defender posts meeting time, battle is fought, the winner posts.

Ok, I think I've done a fairly poor job of explaining this. Again, the way I imagine it, it works out great. I'm just trying to see what general interest there would be before we'd start hammering out rules and details, etc. Which again, would be worked out.

I'd really like to do this for MTW 2 when it arrives, since we can ultimately have two factions, Christians, Muslims, in a constant war with many different generals leading small subfactions within each, and instead of a senate, the papalcy. But, it would also be nice to do in RTW, and somewhere to start it up.

So those are the basics, details worked out later, would there be any interest in something like this.. Also, there is a poll, just to get an idea of what interest (if any) there is, and how popular each faction would be.
    So, just post about what you think, and if you have any ideas to make it work, let me know.

Edit: Oh, another thing, is how human diplomacy could also play a neat part in this campaign. Say for instance, two factions want to form an alliance to destroy another. Or if one General wants to go renegade and attempt to destroy his faction's leader and overthrow him..he may want to form an alliance or attempt to pay off an enemy faction for help. Or, if greatly outnumbered, a General may attempt to 'pay off' the enemy general, to get him to leave him alone. The possibilities for this type of thing are endless.
    Last edited by Handsome Huss; January 21, 2006 at 10:07 AM.