Thread: Medieval buildings

Default Medieval buildings

I have a question and sorry if i posted in the wrong place ..Will there it be significant medieval buildings for each faction with specific bonuses?And by the way I have some ideas for you guys
    For England(Westminster Hall 1397-1399,Tower of London 1070-1090,Lavenham Houses 1400,Dover Castle 1180)
    Germany(Bromserburg 1000-1050)
    Scotland(Elphinstone Tower 1440,Rait Castle 1300)
    Italy(Castle del Monte 1240-1250,Piazza del Campo 1280-1350,Ponte Vecchio 1345-1564,Street in Siena 1100-1300)
    France(Walls of Carcassonne 1150)
    Finland(Olavinlinna Castle 1562)
    Denmark(Osterlars Church 1100)
    Spain(The Alcazar)
    Syria(Krak des Chevaliers 1150-1250)

Default Re: Medieval buildings

Quote Originally Posted by slayer92 View Post
    I have a question and sorry if i posted in the wrong place ..Will there it be significant medieval buildings for each faction with specific bonuses?
    Yes, for each region not faction.

As for the suggestions those built before 1080 might be in from the start probably as part of the region building unique for each region. Rest might be buildable. Those built after 1400 are very unlikely and anything beyond 1453 is cathegoric no.

Mod Leader, Mapper & Bohemian Researcher

Senator

I have a question and sorry if i posted in the wrong place ..Will there it be significant medieval buildings for each faction with specific bonuses?And by the way I have some ideas for you guys
    For England(Westminster Hall 1397-1399,Tower of London 1070-1090,Lavenham Houses 1400,Dover Castle 1180)
    Germany(Bromserburg 1000-1050)
    Scotland(Elphinstone Tower 1440,Rait Castle 1300)
    Italy(Castle del Monte 1240-1250,Piazza del Campo 1280-1350,Ponte Vecchio 1345-1564,Street in Siena 1100-1300)
    France(Walls of Carcassonne 1150)
    Finland(Olavinlinna Castle 1562)
    Denmark(Osterlars Church 1100)
    Spain(The Alcazar)
    Syria(Krak des Chevaliers 1150-1250)
    A nice list; however although the half-timbered buildings of Lavenham are today remarkable, during the Middle Ages that kind of thing would be commonplace in any prosperous English wool town.

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Tower of London I like nice ideas for 'wonders' etc

We've talked about unique buildings for each region- which wont be buildings but will represent the unique attributes of each region. However I think some of these buildings could get incorporated into the region building.

Alternatively there may be capital only buildings for some cities such as London, Paris, Rome, Constantinople etc. I'm still building up the tech trees right now, but if there is enough room- which I think there will be, then I will ask to have more capital unique trees in.

The other places you mention like Krak and Dover will be PSFs afaik

Spain(The Alcazar)
    Which Alcazar? Toledo, Segovia or Seville? They don't see too representative to me to be a wonder. I would prefer the Mosque of Cordoba or Saint James cathedral.

Quote Originally Posted by brennas View Post
    Which Alcazar? Toledo, Segovia or Seville? They don't see too representative to me to be a wonder. I would prefer the Mosque of Cordoba or Saint James cathedral.
    The Mosque of Cordoba was founded in 787 so it can't be included and Saint James cathedral i think is after the medieval period

The Mosque of Cordoba was founded in 787 so it can't be included and Saint James cathedral i think is after the medieval period
    The Mosque existed in 1080 (still today), so it is great for a wonder at the starting date. The St. James Cathedral also existed, not in its actual look, but in a romanic style.

ya, well don't forget Notre Dame, St. Peter's, Ka'aba, Hagia Sophia, Alhambra, just to name a few big ones.....

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    ya, well don't forget Notre Dame, St. Peter's, Ka'aba, Hagia Sophia, Alhambra, just to name a few big ones.....
    There are difficulties with some of these monuments such as the Alhambra and the Notre Dame cathedrals of northern France (Rheims and Amiens amongst others as well as Paris); they are built after the starting date so the question arises as to whether they should be included and if so how.

Horatius Flaccus's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Basil 11 View Post
    There are difficulties with some of these monuments such as the Alhambra and the Notre Dame cathedrals of northern France (Rheims and Amiens amongst others as well as Paris); they are built after the starting date so the question arises as to whether they should be included and if so how.
    As pre-existing buildings with added bonusses? Like in EB.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Horatius Flaccus View Post
    As pre-existing buildings with added bonusses? Like in EB.
    I said buildings which were built after the starting date; it would be very ahistorical to have them pre-included.

Ah, indeed. Misread that.

Then they can be in as normal buildings, right? I see your point though.

Senator

Ah, indeed. Misread that.

Then they can be in as normal buildings, right? I see your point though.
    I suppose they could be in theory, but of course I should imagine that the team are possibly working to a building limit, and with there being so many significant cathedrals and the like across Europe, it would be difficult to decide which to include.

True, but I believe there is a limit of 'building trees' and not 'buildings'. If they could incorporate more 'wonders' into one building tree that would limit the problem.

True, but I believe there is a limit of 'building trees' and not 'buildings'. If they could incorporate more 'wonders' into one building tree that would limit the problem.
    There are 128 trees and each can have up to 9 buildings. We have 61 factions where each should have at least one unique and usually have more, 7 cultures each with own cultural trees, generic trees and 22 trees for regional buildings (one building per region). That's the 'basic' plan which amounts for

let's say 1,5 per faction *61 + say 3 per culture * 7 + 11 core trees + 22 region trees = 150 trees

That is 22 beyond limit and only place where we can cut is faction unique trees and seldomly cultural trees. Some factions have in our research plan for up to dozen trees like Russian factions or Byzzies while some other have none - Muslim factions and Middle Eastern culture - so it will yet be needed to even it out.

So as much as we would like to have monuments both pre-placed and buildable there may as well be no room for them. Besides having actual historical buildings is often peculiar because they are usually well known and they simply cannot appear in-game the same as they did historically so it then feels odd that you are building some historical building hundred years early or late... Therefore I think pre-placed extraordinary buildings would work better but then again there needs to be room in tech-tree first for it which is uncertain.

Mod Leader, Mapper & Bohemian Researcher

So your saying that if you DO have room for the wonders, you would rather have them combust in your city, without you actually having to build them?