Thread: TiME editor advice needed

Big Bear's Avatar Tiro

Default TiME editor advice needed

Hi, I'm well into a mod, have the map running fine and new provinces cerated. I inititaly tried to start with the TiME editor, couldn't get the sucker to load. I did have it working previously on a vanila RTW map in ages past, but can't get the modded map to load. The main reason I want it is for adding provinces, though I'm getting them in they are slow..., damned slow to put in. I was wondering about using the TiME editor for this. Which is a long winded way of saying, are there any tutorials on it's use? Or any advice from the folks at TWC, like how to get it to load at all, it was a couple of years ago that I used it and don't remember how. I searched my own tutorials and the database here for anything but came up short.

Cheers
    Big Bear

Default Re: TiME editor advice needed

Well theres this, but then youv'e probably already looked there http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12718

With personal experience with the editor id add regions by hand. Its just easier and the editor tends to cause errors sometimes.
    I only use it to move where Armys and characters are placed now, also for moving where resources are.

Also about getting it to load I presume you pointed it to your Rome total war directory when you first started it. Also to load a campaign map you just point it to the imperial_campaign folder in your mod folder if your using one.
    Rome Total War Randomiser --- Thread --- Source Code

RTWLIB --- C#Library for manipulating and parsing the Rome Total War files. WIP.

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Best advice about Time is not to use it, it is very error prone, especially as it was not updated to deal with the latest patches of RTW, I think it was last updated for 1.2 and not anything beyond that.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Big Bear's Avatar Tiro

Hi, thanks for the reply you folks. I must say my experinece with it is much like yours, there are versions which include 1.5 and also BI I think. I was just looking for a way to speed up the placing the the Provinces, actualy making the physical map is quite a quick process when you get the hang of it. Rashaman held my hand on that about a year ago, for which I am eternaly greatfull, but province building is slow. I have tried to get it to load a modded map, but it just won't, I'm wondering if I have to load the files from basic folder into the modded map folder. I'll give it a go and see, with plenty of backups, if not then the old fasioned way.
    Whic also beggs a question, of is it possible to add cities etc without provinces, I think i seen something about that but can't find it.

Thanks again
    Big Bear

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

Usually there are only a few reasons why a map wont load with a new province. Most of which will pop up using show-err.

They are;

Have stray pixels. This will happen if you either fail to paint over all the pixels of a near by province so that one or more are separated from the main mass of the old province, you use the paint brush, or use the marque tool with anti-alaising set.
    - To check for this, use the magic wand tool, check the contiguous box, and shift+click on the provinces. Any stray pixels will show up unselected.

Another issue can be a missmatch in the spelling of names between descr_regions, descr_strat, and the region_and_settlement_names doc. and region_and_settlement_names_lookup.

Ramadawn wrote a pretty decent post on what to do here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...897#post701897
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

Quote Originally Posted by Ramashan View Post
    - To check for this, use the magic wand tool, check the contiguous box, and shift+click on the
    I have noticed that in gimp the maigic wand tool or the fuzzy select tool as its called in gimp. Doesn't seem to distinguished between colours that have nearly the same RGB, which is annoying.

RTWLIB --- C#Library for manipulating and parsing the Rome Total War files. WIP.

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

You have to adjust the threshold of the tool, if you set the threshold to 0 it will only pick up the one colour.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Sqυιd View Post
    You have to adjust the threshold of the tool, if you set the threshold to 0 it will only pick up the one colour.
    Thanks, That helps me alot I Learn something new everyday

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

Yes, listen to Squid, I just take that knowledge for granted. Set the threshold to 0. This will make it chose only specific RGB colors. And will see a deference between 243.243.243 and 243.243.242
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

Big Bear's Avatar Tiro

Hi, I find putting in a province one at a time fine, the problem seems to come if you try to put four or five in, then it won't load which is slow. Which is why i was wanting to use the time editor for that. It's a shame some bright spark didn't adapt it for that purpose, it's the slow part of mapping. Actually getting the Physical map is fairly quick comapred to the province grind as i have come to call it.
    Anyway it's not so bad that it will stop the thing. Thanks to the folks at TWC for all the advice.

Cheers
    Big Bear