Thread: What are the point of those balloon things on the back of calvary?

Default What are the point of those balloon things on the back of calvary?

I've seen it in almost all the videos, the men have flags on each individuals back which is cool, but then the calvary have those big ball things, to anyone who knows a bit of history ==> what are those? what was the purpose of those? thanks, - EMIT

Default Re: What are the point of those balloon things on the back of calvary?

Its called a Horo. It's purpose is to defend against arrows by snagging them or slowing the arrow down to the point where it no longer has the force to penetrate armor. It also distorts the silhouette of the Samurai making them harder to hit.

Additionally thats not what it was originally designed for. Early on it was worn by important messengers and bodyguards to distinguish them from the other mounted soldiers. In fact the horo was really only something that elite warriors wore. They were also brightly decorated with distinct colors and patterns. For example Toyotomi Hideyoshi's personal bodyguard all wore gold horo.

If CA is accurate, most of the horo will be on elite units, such as generals and daimyo bodyguards....but knowing them we will see. ;D

I hope this helps! ^_^
    Last edited by Daria; January 21, 2011 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Added more on...

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    Its called a Horo. It's purpose is to defend against arrows by snagging them or slowing the arrow down to the point where it no longer has the force to penetrate armor. It also distorts the silhouette of the Samurai making them harder to hit.

Additionally thats not what it was originally designed for. Early on it was worn by important messengers and bodyguards to distinguish them from the other mounted soldiers. In fact the horo was really only something that elite warriors wore. They were also brightly decorated with distinct colors and patterns. For example Toyotomi Hideyoshi's personal bodyguard all wore gold horo.

If CA is accurate, most of the horo will be on elite units, such as generals and daimyo bodyguards....but knowing them we will see. ;D

I hope this helps! ^_^
    Got to play the early beta at the community day and asked Kieran about these when I saw them. In the game, only the general's bodyguard had them (but we didn't have the full unit choice). Kieran explained some of this but Daria, you really added some detail! I think it's really interesting that this game has so much to teach about the era.

Another cool fact about generals that made it into the game: There's a 'final stand' action the general can take. He'll dismount and get a stool and sit down on it in the middle of battle, and his bodyguard will also dismount and surround him in a square. They'll then fight to the last man. The general cannot be moved after this action is taken - it's a last resort. In history, apparently the general would sit there while his bodyguard fought, and only get up and fight when a gap was made in the line.

Pretty amazing. Not as great as the 'slicing my own head off' trick, but still pretty neat.

emotion_name's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Cool, that "Last Stand" sounds like a novel idea. Although, if you worked hard on your MP general im betting thats the one thing you never want to have to do!

@ Daria - You seem to know a fair bit about this time in history, any chance you could recommend any material for an amateur historian to delve into feudal japan? I only got into history after playing RTW, i loved it so much i went and studied the romans as much as possible. Then i did the same with medieval europe when i started playing M2TW, and i have just finished reading about Napoleon and his life and what he achieved etc.

Anyways, the more i here about the traditions and what not of the Japanese, the more curious im getting and would love to learn some more. Only thing that concerns me is the names of things, for some reason my brain slows right down when reading Japanese names and stuff!

^ Has not been thought through properly. I have a feeling that we will now many ridiculous instances where the AI obstinately activates the last stand feature and the player comfortably sits back and wipes out the static bodyguard with point blank gun fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Furious Mental View Post
    ^ Has not been thought through properly. I have a feeling that we will now many ridiculous instances where the AI obstinately activates the last stand feature and the player comfortably sits back and wipes out the static bodyguard with point blank gun fire.
    Only the player should have that option..

It's a backpack, it carries lunch for the general.

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

From the historical sub-forum

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin Rommel View Post
    The question is. Will players whine the seemingly absurd situation that arrows at the back are not killing hatamoto and will cry foul because they don't know what horo are for.

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by emotion_name View Post
    Cool, that "Last Stand" sounds like a novel idea. Although, if you worked hard on your MP general im betting thats the one thing you never want to have to do!
    It's the end of 300 all over again!

The general and his small group of men will sit there ready to fight to the death and the enemy army will blot out the sun with arrows!

Apart from a man with 1 eye... who will tell the tale of what happened there...