Thread: Defeats against AI

Default Defeats against AI

Post in favorite faction got me thinking - were you ever defeated by AI, on campaign or in battle, in way that AI played very well (not by sheer numbers or quality).

What I want to say, were you ever outsmarted by AI?

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Default Re: Defeats against AI

No.

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

defeat; yes. There's always a time where your empire gets so big you can't send your main armies everywhere at the same time which leads to small garrisons being besieged.
    outsmarted; no.

It's hard to say. Honestly, I think there probably were a few times the AI did something I should have prepared for, catching me unexpectedly. Of course, I always tell myself I was rushing, or there was nothing I could have done, etc.

When I lose battles, I usually lose them on the campaign map: I didn't send a big enough army, or the AI besieged a tiny town while my army was off doing something else.

I have definitely lost campaigns. In RTW as Numidia, for example. Or Dacia. Well, I didn't "lose" so much as "fail to make headway and therefore quit the game before the inevitable defeat".

In FATW? There have been some disasters playing as Dunland - or RK, actually. RK is the one faction I haven't won with.

The way the AI usually outmaneuvers me is by expanding into areas I do not want them before I am ready, such as with Harad often usurping my army's rush though Gondor, so that I am forced to make war on Harad when I am yet unprepared to defend my southern border. But mostly I anticipate war with everybody sooner or later, so it is mostly annoying for the interruption in trade income.

The AI has caught me off guard every once in awhile...

But the AI never has outsmarted me...

When I say off guard... I mean like when I'm focusing on one area on the battlefield...

Quote Originally Posted by SPQR_82 View Post
    The AI has caught me off guard every once in awhile...

But the AI never has outsmarted me...

When I say off guard... I mean like when I'm focusing on one area on the battlefield...
    This. Out smarted no, out flanked yes. I flunked flank after all.

Yeah my point exactly...

I didn't pay attention... and the AI ended beating me

Just some mishaps... but outsmarted no... I could beat the AI anyday...

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

LOL
    No, never. I mean, of course I lost battles. Usually when I was outnumbered massively. A small town with but some levies besieged (though there are many sieges that I won with great losses due to my smartness ). Sometimes I didn't take care. A lone unit suddenly attacked out of nowhere by the remnants of a defeated host (the Southroad in Ithilien playing the RK). Or accidently sent a lone unit too far away from the host.

But I NEVER lost a battle with my main armies due to the AIs smartness or my own stupidity. Of course there are battles that you cannot win, especially when fighting the RK with Dunland.
    What now and again happens to me, is that a unit is almost crushed because I didn't watch out. Especially cavalry, I sent them forth, charge, retreat and then I forget them and the AI attacks them from behind. But again, this sorta is AI-stupidity. I mean, why don't they turn around and fight? They sometimes just continue to stand around.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Yes, I wasn't thinking about some regular defeats, I was inspired by this post (I know AI wasn't anything special here but it got me thinking):

Quote Originally Posted by CountMRVHS View Post
    Yes, you do have to know how to use wains, and they can be quirky - but that's why I like 'em. Just keep running through the enemy, don't slow down, and don't get surrounded.

Also, stay WAY away from RK's longbows... I remember one disastrous defeat I had as Rhun. I was invading westward north of Mordor, and RK had a large army in the area, so I attacked with a big & balanced army of my own. Well, RK set up on a hill ... I managed to bring my cav and heavy hitting infantry to the RK flank, but was getting crushed due to fatigue & the general awesomeness of RK infantry. Eventually I decided the battle was lost, so I tried to pull out & salvage some troops for another day. My captains turned the wains around and withdrew.

To my horror, I watched as volley after volley of arrows sailed through the air - my wains just couldn't withdraw fast enough! Wain after wain was skewered by those longbows. I can't remember if I lost the captain or not, but it was lesson learned, for sure!
    It's a bit sad to see no one was ever surprised by some smart flanking or some other nice move by AI. I also can't remember any defeat that wasn't inevitable due to numbers and quality. But I played only a few campaigns so I was curious if AI sometimes get lucky and outsmarts player.

I forgot to mention some of the more cleverly constructed historical battles. The Cloven Way, for instance I have yet to beat. The starting position is what most challenges the human controller, who would never set his troops up to such disadvantage.

Athenogoras's Avatar Campidoctor

Yeah...or another historical battle...between Adunabar and orcs in mordor...in the camp. Have never been able to beat that set-up. I watch in vain as my defences collapses as they swarm my cosy fort. You really need to make those supermonsterns run amok with the catapult if you are to have some chance...alas - your orcmeat.
    Last edited by Athenogoras; January 26, 2011 at 01:27 PM.