Thread: Lowe's most delectable collection of sublime Combat

Default Lowe's most delectable collection of sublime Combat

Battle most gentlemanly, see below, please do!

Enemies of Dufferism? Damn their eyes!
    As the title would suggest, this shall be a collection of short battle AARs rather then an AAR of a campaign or some other confounded strategic event, so I cordially invite you all to sip your port and enjoy Lowe's most delectable collection of sublime Combat!
    Battle of Dresden

Details:
    Type of Battle: Multiplayer, 2 versus 2
    Factions:

1. Lowe's and Ally; France
    2. Enemy 1; Russia
    3. Enemy 2; Austria

Basic Strategy:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

My ally was assigned the task of taking the city proper, as his army had a greater number of Infantry and howitzers, which would be far more useful in inflicting casualties on an enemy who would be, no doubt, severely dug in. My army, being almost entirely mounted, was to whip around the flanks and attempt to envelop or at least draw off enemy forces from the all important crossings. If possible, I was to eliminate the enemy artillery and bring forward my own horse-drawn Artillery to fire from the more favorable ground the enemy possessed.

Opening Moves
    Without delay, our armies begin to march upon their respective positions, Allied Infantry begin their march into Dresden, while my Dragoons, with their artillery support not far behind, ford the river and prepare to assault Austrian Artillery. On the right flank, the Russian Garrison retreats from the Peninsula with relatively few losses, but they lose their cannons to a hail of fire from my light infantry and a charge by allied light cavalry.

Russians engage the Right:
    For the time being, it seems my Ally and the Austrian center are more then content to sit on their respective sides of the river, skirmishing with each other. They are hesitating, with good reason, to commit their main line until they are satisfied with the way the battle is going on the French right. My infantry column, having just finished kicking the Russians out, find themselves not only under fire from 20 lb. Unicorns, but are taking musket fire from 2 companies of Russian Grenadiers. With a move to contact initiated and a line formed, the Russians take massive casualties under withering fire.

French Snipers harassing Austrian Grenzers

My Fusilers d'Ligne endure an artillery barrage

The battle between my Infantry and the Russian force

An example of the firepower I bring to bear on the Grenadiers, and the terrible damage it inflicts

I take the Left:
    The Austrian commander notices my Dragoons and artillery have forded the river, he sends the entirety of his cavalry force, including Curassiers and two squadrons of Hussars, to intercept them. Though they outnumber me by almost 2 cavalry groups, the dragoons form for a charge, two volleys from my horse artillery thins the Austrian ranks, and I charge into them, the result is a hard won victory and the elimination of the Austrian artillery and cavalry. I am quick to take the position and begin to bombard exposed Austrian battalions. My dragoons however, are spent, and I must rely on my Polish Lancers and Curassiers - held in reserve until now- to carry on any further attacks.

No Cavalry should fight without adequate fire support; a mistake the Austrian commander pays dearly for.

Dragoons form for the charge

Fresh Dragoons rush to meet the mauled and demoralized Hussars

The charge and subsequent melee.

The battle over, I waste no time bringing forward fresh reserves and my cannons, who give battalions round shot from afar, and rake Russian reserves from the banks with Canister, the Russians smartly pull out of range and into cover, but not before the damage is done.

Meanwhile:
    In the city proper, my Ally realizes that the time to strike is now, Austrian Grenzers, under constant fire from French snipers and artillery, pull back in disarray. Realizing this, he calls forward his Grenadiers -- who will be needed to storm across the bridges and establish a bridgehead for the Fusiliers to move across unmolested. The Austrian commander, realizing that the French center is about to mount an attack, rushes forward several battalions to hold the crossings; we suspect he also alerts his ally, for the Russian force immediately halts its counterattack and rushes back into the city to help.

The Grenadiers push the Austrians back just far enough to allow the Fusiliers to arrive, and a pointblank musket battle develops when the elite Austrian 1st are thrown into the battle, the Austrians fire into the mass, unaware or perhaps uncaring that many of their bullets are hitting their own embattled troops. Naturally, under such intensive friendly fire, the embattled German battalions break, and it seems the 1st are to break as well when the Russian reinforcements arrive. The French attack becomes a melee to fight for what they have, only by committing the Old Guard is the deadly Russian counterattack broken.

The End Game:
    With the bridgehead firmly established, my Ally wastes no time in pushing the enemy back further into the city, the Old Guard take the Town Hall and the battle is, for all intents and purposes, over. Enemy casualties mount, and as more and more Austrian regiments become embattled in melees or firefights, I seize my opportunity. The enemy is utterly unprepared for my cavalry; battalions are caught retreating further into the city or are caught ineffectively trying to form squares. The Polish lancers charge across the river, accounting for the last of the Austrian artillery, 2 battalions of Infantry, and the dreaded 20 lb. Unicorns themselves. Their rampage in the enemy's rear is unstoppable. Allied light cavalry repulse one last futile counterattack by German grenadiers, who are cut down in the smoke of their own infernal weapons, and my Curassiers smash what is left of the Russian line.

The ratio of killed to lost is admirable.

A hard won victory, and a very good game! I do hope you enjoyed, watch this space for more battles...and all that.
    Last edited by Lowes; January 18, 2011 at 07:59 PM.
    Napoleon Battle AARs:
    Sublime Combat -- Gentleman at war!

Cpl. Victor Rinaldi - Governer General's Horse Guards, 32nd Brigade Group, Canadian Forces. Shame to him who thinks evil of it

LordBiggums's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Lowe's most delectable collection of sublime Combat

Upon studying your most exemplary screen shots, I have deemed you fit for a good repping.

Battle of Rennes, 1805

Details:
    Type of Battle: Multiplayer, Campaign.
    Lowe's: Bernadotte's French
    Enemy: Wellington and Chaps

Context: While Napoleon and his ruffians rampage through Austria, the cunning British gentlemen under Wellington himself land in Brittany, no doubt with the capture of Paris in mind. They brush aside an early attempt of a defense on my part and take Rennes, the capital of the region. Under Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte, I send a hastily assembled army and lay siege to the British. After 6 weeks of siege, I make my attack and seek to kick the Brits out of Brittany!

Opening Strategy:
    The enemy is outnumbered but certainly not outgunned. My army, having a rather large contingent of Milita, will not be able to stomach a fight with the British, whom are dug in behind fortifications. The British and my colleague who commands them, are confident in their victory. However, I intend to punish him for adopting such a stiff and unmoving defense, wide flanks will draw him out of his fortifications and into the devestation of my guns.

My army might be willing, but it is debatable if they are able.

British sit comfortably in cover, while Wellington, confident in victory, quietly jokes and talks to his Staff

Artillery halts the Right:
    My two flanking columns, consisting of the hardier sort of Infantry, are intended to draw the British out into a firefight...and into my gun's range. However, the right column has to pull back behind cover as British artillery devastates them. In response, my own batteries of the light and accurate 6 and 8 pounder artillery rumble to life in response. The counterbattery fire is accurate and devestating, within minutes the British guns are silenced.

Images of the Artillery Duel

The bloody aftermath, ruined British guns everywhere

British Sally on the Left:
    While his guns are being rend asunder, and while my right column waits in the wings for the guns to stop, my left column reaches the outskirts of the Village. The British flank defense, consisting of traitorous (but poorly trained) Bretons and a Squadron of Dragoons, move forward to attack what is clearly a superior force. Caught off guard by a coordinated charge, I barely manage to get my Chasseurs behind the safety of a Square.

Further action on the Left:
    The British Dragoons call of their charge and take little losses, but they retreat and leave the Breton rebels to die; the rebels take a volley from the chasseurs in tight formation, and are then easily scattered in a quick melee. The British Dragoons dismount in a nearby wooded area and begin to take potshots at French Infantry.

Seeing an opportunity to gain the cavalry advantage, I swiftly bring forward a squadron of Lancers, who catch the dismounted Dragoons off guard. The Dragoons are hit hard but hold firm, and as quickly as my Lancers hit them, they fall back, with only 1 man lost. The bloodied Dragoons, on the other hand, are reduced to 10 men fit to fight.

Left Column fighting in the Streets:

With the flank defense gone, French Infantry enter the city proper. Realizing that this small force would be shot to ribbons against the crack British Infantry, I have them anchor the flank by occupying several buildings. As I hope, the move draws out a couple Battalions of British Infantry, who, under the fire from the building and from my artillery, have no choice but to rush the building.

The Urban fight intensifies:
    The fighting spills out into the streets as British infantry surge against my positions. An unfortunate failing in fire discipline causes some friendly fire to occur, damaging the house. Despite this, the British are slowly but surely pushed out of the house and into the open; British infantry cut off from their comrades in the streets are cut down with impunity. However, seeing that the battle is swinging in British favor, my lancers must charge once more, and succeed in routing the British battalions, but at a heavy loss.

Meanwhile:
    While the left fights savagely, my right column finally arrives at its destination, the British react swiftly and violently; and though drawn into the open the British fire decimates my right. I have no choice; casualties are mounting and my men are starting to waver, I withdraw the Right Column from the field and simultaneously order my weak center to move into the city; now almost devoid of British Infantry.

Retreat!

End Game:
    I must now make the impossible, possible. With mainly Milita left on the field, I must defeat the largely intact remnants of the British forces. My Cavalry is spent, and my left flank column is recovering after a prolonged engagement in the city streets. The only blessing is that the Victorious British are now in a field, exposed to artillery, and have left their own fortifications for me to use!

I waste no time bring my artillery up into range, I gamble and form the center with my militia, and I hide several companies of Chasseurs in the long grass to the left. On my right, I have a single intact battalion of Fusiliers, whom shall flank and use the British trenches to their advantage. The entirety of this plan hinges on British confidence, I pray they move to crush my weak center. They do.

Artillery shift position:

My center:

The British line, emboldened by Wellington, march towards the frightened Milita:

Ambushed on the left by Chasseurs, flanked on the right by Fusiliers, and pounded by Artillery, the British suffer a shock they cannot recover from. Wellington is wounded, and the much thinned British lines can no longer stand fast. The battle is over, Brittany is once again French.

A costly victory, but being on French soil the losses can easily be replenished.

Napoleon Battle AARs:

Cpl. Victor Rinaldi - Governer General's Horse Guards, 32nd Brigade Group, Canadian Forces. Shame to him who thinks evil of it

Very nice old chap. However, any chance you can save your future pictures as jpg. rather than png? Takes less time to load the pictures then

http://ask.fm/Bigglelito <------- Ask me somethin' dagnabbit!

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    Very nice old chap. However, any chance you can save your future pictures as jpg. rather than png? Takes less time to load the pictures then
    Your wish is my proverbial command sah! It shall be done.
    Napoleon Battle AARs:

Battle of Budapest

Details:
    Type of Battle; Multiplayer, Campaign
    Opposing forces:
    Napoleon's French Forces (Lowe's)
    Austrian Forces

Context: Austria is a shadow of what it once was, after close to 2 months of extensive campaigning, Venice and Tyrol is in the Kingdom of Italy's governorship, 2 Austrian armies were trapped and destroyed by a combination of French-Bavarian maneuver. L'Emperur and his greatest Marshall, Michel Ney, took Vienna in a spectacular pincer move through Saxony and Croatia, respectively. Now Napoleon and his own personal Corps is marching upon Budapest, no longer with the support of his subordinate's armies. Some miles outside of the city, he is intercepted by what is most likely the last surviving Austrian field army. The Austrians catch Napoleon off guard by taking an aggressive stance.

Opening Strategy:
    There is a small hill to my right flank; my artillery train's destination, control of that ground will be vital to crushing the numerically superior Austrian force, who seem hell bent on fighting an open battle with me, rather then use the safety and cover of the city to engage my forces piece-meal. The Austrians have little in the way of reserves, opting to commit all of their forces to one long line, composed mainly of veteran battalions of German and Hungarian regulars. The line has one blaringly obvious weakness; 3 battalions of Landwehr Milita, I predict that crushing them ASAP may afford me a tactical advantage.

I too deploy my line in one solid mass, and put 3 companies of Chasseurs forward to screen them. To my right, my Artillery train is protected by my Cavalry-Of-The-Line. Two squadrons of Lancers, two squadrons of Chasseurs au Cheval. In reserve I hold one battalion of Fusiliers and a Squadron of Grenadiers au Cheval. My center is formed by Battalions of the Young Guard, and I deploy my Old Guard to the left of my line.

Austrians attack the hill for the first time:
    A column of Cavalry, consisting of 3 Squadrons of Chevaux-leger and a Squadron of lancers, immediately hurl themselves pell-mell at the hill that my artillery train is marching towards. This key ground cannot fall into Austrian hands, and I have no intention of letting it be seized by such a foolish attack. I move forward my Chasseurs au Cheval, whom charge into the mass of Austrian Cavalry, they cannot hold for long and I have no intention of forcing them to fight for more then a minute, as I quickly move Lancers to the flanks, and they catch the bogged down column in the flanks, dealing the Austrians a stinging blow.

The Austrian cavalry attempts to retreat, and I inflict more casaulties in the pursuit. However, the chase is short-lived, as the Austrian commander sends a column of infantry to form square and screen the retreat of his cavalry. I have no choice but to give up the chase or risk wasting the bulk of my cavalry for the rest of the battle. The first attempt on my guns has been repelled.

Austrian and French lines clash

With the Cavalry battle having died down on the right, I move my infantry forward and down the slope, the Austrians once again surprise me by boldly moving their own line forward to meet mine halfway. However, with the Austrian cavalry nowhere near, I can move my screen far ahead of the main line, their speed allows me to give off the ever important first volley, causing a satisfying amount of casualties in the still-advancing Austrians.

The battle becomes a pointblank affair, as the Austrian infantry pushes forward stubbornly in the face of incoming fire. On the left of my line, my Old Guard move past the screen to flank the exposed Landwehr, who are swept from the field by accurate and rapid fire from the Old Guard, whom then move down the length of the Austrian line, slowly and systematically defeating everything that stands in their way. To counter, the Austrian Infantry hinge and turn their line to face the flank, exposing themselves to accurate artillery fire, and provoking another attack on the position...

Austrians attack the guns for the Second time:
    The enemy, without cavalry support, and with his line isolated and exposed to artillery fire, takes a gamble and launches a second attack on my guns. Detaching a battalion from his line (which is rapidly being outflanked), his men march at pace up the hill, and just as they crest it, they suffer a pointblank volley fired from a pair of cannons. 15 men at a time fall as the Battalion retreats in a panic down the hill with very noticeable gaps in the ranks.

Crushing the Austrian Line:
    This battle is over. Trapped in a "V" formation by my line, the Austrians are cut off from retreating to the safety of the town, and are pounded by fire from all sides. As weaknesses in the Austrian line appear, I order a bayonet charge on the Austrian center in conjunction with a charge by my Grenadiers au Cheval, unsurprisingly, the line is absolutely crushed. Units that are not routing are running in a blind panic back to the safety of the city, being shot to pieces by Light Infantry the entire time.

With the Austrian forces scattered to the winds, a charge mounted by my Lancers captures the Austrian commander, and Napoleon enters the town completely unopposed.

Napoleon Battle AARs:

very very nice, please keep it up!

LuckyLewis's Avatar Loutre
    Content Emeritus

I looked at several of your images earlier and forgot to comment, they really are something, and it's wonderful you've managed to complete them with some wonderful stories too.
    Muh signature is so out of date all muh pictures died.

I thank you gentlemen, much appreciated. I've been attempting to show off a variety of nations, hopefully I shall have a tasteful battle involving some minor nations soon. The ability to control them in a MPC battle is what keeps NTW so fresh and exciting for me and my colleague, otherwise I fear he would've quit the campaign by now. His war against me is taking a turn for the worse I'm afraid, but he fights like a lion so I assure you and guarantee you that many more battles of this nature are on the way. I will continue to dissect the tactics as best as I can recall and discern from the replays.
    Napoleon Battle AARs:

Polish Corridor Ambush
    Context: 1806, East Prussia. The Prussian Republic's revolutionary ardor has worried Old Europe for some months now, with a renewed campaign being launched against Denmark, Russia is spurred to action, declaring war on the fragile Republic, though German ironwill has held them back, and even destroyed an army under General Kamensky, the Republicans cannot hold back the Bear alone. France, largely neutral in this affair, sees a political opportunity....

Allying with the German Republic, Napoleon sees a chance to encircle and destroy the bulk of the Russian military in friendly lands, and with luck, carry the battle to Russian soil. Taking position close to Danzig, Napoleon's army remains undetected as a Russian field army marches past, it is an opportunity so rare in modern warfare that he cannot pass up the chance, the French move into ambush positions....

Details:
    Type of Battle; Multiplayer, Campaign
    Combatants:
    Napoleon's French
    Ambushed Russians

Opening Strategy:
    The rushed nature of the ambush leaves the Emperor frustrated -- there is a blaringly obvious weak point in his layout, his gun batteries on the hill are largely unguarded, only 2 Battalions of Fusiliers are with them. Perhaps he can turn this to his advantage? Surely the Russians will attempt to surge out of the ambush from this point, he can encircle and destroy them there - his guns need only hold out.

The rear and front of the Russian column are being plugged up by Cavalry-of-the-Line and Imperial Guard units, these units will be able to push against the ends of the Russian column and hopefully disrupt them. To the left of the Russians, the bulk of the French force lies in wait on a small ridge, a perfect position for Chasseurs to have a field day on the panicking Russians.

The Russian Surge:

The Emperor places himself at the weakest point of the ambush, hoping his presence will spur the men on to greater deeds, he watches in stoic silence as the entirety of the Russian forces surge up the hill and towards the guns in an attempt to escape the devastating fire from the ridge. The Russians abandon the bulk of their guns in the mad dash up the hill.

"Mother of God, will they not break?" the Gun crews stare in awe at the human wall that rushes towards them, Russians fall by the dozens, taking volley after volley of canister, but they press on with a single-mindedness that both awes and frightens the French gun crews. Encouraged by the Emperor, they hold firm -- "Help is on the way my lads, fight on!" he is heard to say.

The Emperor is no liar, the "plugs" of the ambush, moving quickly and as silently as possible through the wooded areas that surround the road, burst from the tree line to aid the gun crews, the Russian milita and infantry suffer a devastating charge from Chevaux-Leger Lancers, and much of the Russian force is destroyed then and there, however, some Russians make it to the guns, and the crews find themselves fighting against fanatical Russian infantry. The Emperor, loathe to waste his crews on such a manner, commit his Fusiliers to cover the retreat of the crews.

Russians seize the Hill:
    Realizing that the position will soon become untenable, Napoleon orders a delaying action by his cavalry as he pulls the men back and into defensive positions -- the Russians can have this damned hill, for all he cares, they are unwittingly being outflanked anyways. The Russians are fighting more like a mob then an army, they have no command or control, in an organized fight they will be utterly destroyed.

As the Fusiliers pull back, the Russian commander emerges from the mob, leading a squadron of cossacks in a mad charge against the retreating French infantry, with their cavalry support already committed they show great discipline, halting and forming square with such speed that the Cossacks are greeted by a hail of bullets and a wall of bayonets, they are slaughtered.

With the Fusiliers in safety, the Emperor pulls back the cavalry, who are thankfully intact and still fresh and eager for a fight, they will have another chance yet. The mauled Russian survivors form a ragged line on the hill, and prepare to fight to the death.

The Imperial Guard end the Action:

Though the battle can scarce be called an Ambush anymore, the initial surprise has achieved its end. The Russians, tired, and drained of manpower, must now face an entirely intact French Force. The Old and Young Guard infantry that had been plugging up the ends of the column, move through the woods to link up with the Fusiliers who had just escaped the Cossack Cavalry. Too preoccupied with trading fire with the main force pushing its way up the Hill, the Russians cannot counter the flank, and they are soon sandwiched between the two forces, one pushing uphill, one pushing down.

The line snaps like a brittle twig. Russian units throw down their weapons and surrender en masse, others make mad dashes through the woods in an attempt to escape, French Infantry and Cavalry chase them down, like baying hounds chasing a fox. The more solid Russian units form a square in an attempt to cover all their flanks, and are destroyed by gunfire. An entire Russian army dissolves, and French casualties are thankfully light, it was a sloppy execution, but Napoleon has achieved his end goal.

P.S: I apologize for the return to .bmps, but .jpeg compression ruin the quality of the photos so much that I cannot bring myself to use it any longer. If there are any complaints I will use thumbnails to ease loading time from here on out.
    Napoleon Battle AARs:

jpeg lowers quality? Well I'll be jiggered...

very nice work old bean.

Cesarz's Avatar Miles

Excellent battles and pics.
    +rep
    "Never trust a quote you find on the internet" - Niccolò Machiavelli

The Battle of Borodino, 1812.

Brief break from AARs of MPC battles I have been fighting, as there has been little in the way of decisive or "epic" engagements in the campaign for quite a few turns. So, instead, I decided to play some of NTWs fantastic historical battles, which I had yet to do despite the length of time I had owned the game for. The battles were exciting and hectic affairs, the scripted AI showing just enough dynamic reaction to give me a run for my money.

Details:
    Type of Battle; Historical Battle
    Opposing forces; Kutozov and his divisions
    Bonaparte and his Corps

WHAT NAPOLEON DID:

"Napoleon, in command of the French forces, made errors similar to those of his Russian adversary, deploying his forces inefficiently and failing to exploit the weaknesses in the Russian line..."

"The initial French attack was aimed at seizing the three Russian positions collectively known as the Bagration flèches"

WHAT I DID:
    Thankfully, Total War is not reality, I am not a gray coated individual, sitting far behind the lines with an awful cold attempting to command masses of men against enemy positions whose strength is largely concealed to me.

No indeed, the birds-eye view that TW gives me allows me to judge the situation in an impeccable manner. To my left, Borodino itself is guarded by Russian Jagers and and a unit of elite Pavolosk grenadiers. Despite the fact that they have a building to retreat into, and are defending a crossing, the terrain features on the approach to the town make this the weakest point in the Russian line -- and hence my first point of attack.

The Russian center, the Ravesky redoubt. Only a madman or a genius could attack that frontally and win. Unfortunately I am niether mad nor of superior intellect, and thus I have no hope of repeating the historic storming of the Great Redoubt by cavalry (to this day, no mounted or armored force has taken a fortification in a mounted attack, leaving the French the only with this dubious honor). My plan is to concentrate artillery fire upon the redoubt, hoping to silence or at least lessen the fire from the terrible 20 and 12 lber cannons the Russians have held there. The artillery fire from the Bagration fleches is more of an annoyance then a worry, and can be ignored with little consequence, I feel.

The fleches themselves, named after their Commander, Prince Bagration, would become a pivot of the actual battle, with brutal attacks and counterattacks leading to mass carnage. The Emperor's greatest mistake (asides from failing to unleash his Imperial Guard to pursue) would be to choose to attack these positions first, I opt to wait until Borodino is engaged before I move on the Fleches.

My overall strategy hinges on the assumption that the Russians will commit their reserves immediately in the face of a breakthrough at Borodino, there upon drawing reserves away from the much stronger positions to the center and right.

Opening Cannonade:

My guns are exposed, and are outmatched pound-for-pound. The Russian infantry are dug in, but their guns are easier targets, and are for the time being, of greater threat to my forces, whom are marching towards their starting positions for the attack.

Therefore, I use grand-battery tactics, concentrating all cannon fire on and around the Russian gun positions, first the Ravesky redoubt Unicorn, then the Bagration unicorn battery. After the fire has lessened considerably from these terrible weapons, my guns settle into barraging individual targets, keeping forces on the Ravesky redoubt pinned with fire. Despite accomplishing what they set out to do, my batteries take horrific losses from Russian unicorn fire, one battery having two thirds of its men wounded or killed by cannon fire. However, with Russian gunfire concentrated on my own batteries, it allows my men to maneuver without the stress of an enemy barrage.

It is a sharp angle, but my men are sharper. A battery of the fearsome 12 pound cannons begin their cannonade of the Ravesky and Bagration redoubts.

The Russians are surprisingly competent gunners, they return accurate and rapid fire

Losses are high amongst crews on both sides

The First attack on Borodino:
    A regiment of Swiss infantry, with a unit of Chasseurs screening their advance, march in a battle line towards the Kolocha river and the town of Borodino. Just behind them, a squadron of Chasseurs au Cheval and Curassiers wheel north to take a crossing further upstream and flank the town, which won't be contested at all. Breaking into skirmish formation, the Chasseurs use the tree and brush line just opposite the Borodino crossing to begin engaging the Russian Grenadiers, whom trade fire with the well-concealed and covered Chasseurs in earnest.

As it becomes obvious to the Grenadiers that they will come off worse in the fight, they pull back from the bank and take up a strong position in Borodino's townhall. In their place, Russian Jagers advance to the bank of the Kolocha river and begin to trade fire with the Chasseurs, again however, the Chasseurs superior marksmanship and cover give them a distinct in the firefight. Noticing that the Kolocha crossing is lightly held, the Chasseurs au Cheval break off from the cavalry column and storm across the river, brushing aside the Russian Jagers, they then make their way towards the Curassiers who are just now entering Borodino from the North.

En Avant, Fusilier Suisse!

Hitting targets at such a distance and in such terrain proves a frustrating venture for the Russians

The fire is too intense, the Grenadiers retire and take up a stubborn defensive position in the townhall

Firing at will, something entirely foreign to line regiments

Concluding the role this enemy plays in the battle with shocking decisiveness.

The Russian Counterattack:
    With the way seemingly opened to the French Infantry, the Swiss regiment and their attached Chasseurs begin to form up, readying to enter the town and clear out the still-garrisoned Grenadiers. However, Kutozov commits a significant - if light - reserve of cavalry, and two squadrons of Hussars and Cossacks stream into Borodino. The French Infantry hold their ground, and can do little but watch as the Russians decimate the Chasseurs au Cheval, but incredibly, the French Curassiers, outnumbered 2 to 1, decisively defeat the enemy in a sharp engagement along the banks of the Kolocha. Stunned survivors flee in every direction on horseback.

However, the Curassiers must pull back to the outskirts of the town when a battalion of Musketeers, drawn off from the Ravesky redoubt (and thus playing into my hands) , enter Borodino and take up defensive positions in front of the townhall. The Chassuers au pied again take a skirmishing formation and begin to engage the Russians, but low on ammo and tired from the previous engagement, they begin to face mounting casualties. At that moment, the Curassiers re-enter Borodino and, despite being severely drained from their previous clash, deal the enemy a stinging blow from the rear, but the Russians hold firm and the Curassiers are beaten back across the river. Seeing the defeat is too much for the Chassuers, whom, despite having close to 60 percent of their unit intact, retire from the field. The Swiss, knowing that any attack they make would be beaten off with little trouble, march north and wait for reinforcements.
    Russian reinforcements stream into Borodino

The fantastic and decisive victory of the Curassiers

Shattered Russian survivors flee

The victory is short-lived: Enemy reinforcements join the fight:

The failure of the French attack:

Meanwhile: The move towards the Fleches
    Shortly after the Russian grenadiers fall back into the Town hall, the right side forces, organized into two columns with a screen, and led by Joachim Murat, begin marching towards the Bagration fleches. It is imperative that the small town to the south of the Fleches is secured, asides from being a good position to attack through, the threat it presents to the Fleches may draw out some Russian forces.

At first only held by a battalion of Russian musketeers with a squadron of Curassiers in reserve, the threat of the approaching French compels the Russians to move forward a reserve battalion of infantry to shore up the defenses. However, by the time they arrive the screen of Chasseurs is already in position to fire, and the battalion is greeted by a hail of bullets upon their arrival. Soon, the fire from the French increases as a battalion of the Legion Polonaisse contributes its fire. Opting not to try a forward and risky column attack, Murat has a battalion of Grenadiers flank to the south of the town, while two squadrons of Cavalry encircle the village and prepare to cut off the Russians from their cavalry reserves.

The Russian infantry, fighting from a mound in the center of the town, are unaware of the flank until it is too late, and they are raked by fire from the flanking Grenadiers, forcing them to hug the monument further as they are enveloped. Before the Russian Curassiers can rush to the trapped infantry's aid, they are charged by Lancers, and then charged again from the flank by Dragoons. The entire squadron is destroyed, all of the troopers killed or captured. With the town secure, Napoleon sends a reinforcing column up the road to help Murat exploit the breakthrough. The remaining lancers are released and pursue the retreating Russians for the remainder of the battle.

The view from the fleches, dust on the horizon is a tell-tale sign of a French attack

Chasseurs screen the advance

Russian reinforcements rush into town under fire

The battle in the town:

Grenadiers storm the mound and drive the Russians back

The cavalry engagement to the south of the town:

Reinforcements!

The second effort on Borodino:
    Despite the heroic efforts of the Curassiers, Borodino remains firmly in Russian hands. The townhall has shown itself to be sturdy even in the face of direct fire from French 12 lbers, and thus the matter must be settled with the bayonet. Taking a far more forward approach, the French column, consisting of 2 battalions of Fusiliers and a battalion of Chasseurs, briefly trades fire with the Russians before they storm across the river in a spectacular manner. The Russian forces are driven back into the townhall and, with a flank from the north by the Swiss, are driven out in bloody hand-to-hand combat. As the fight for the townhall rages, a battalion of Fusiliers moves past it to defend the crossing nearest the Ravesky redoubt, as it appears Russian forces are to be drawn off from the position to counterattack.

With the townhall in the background, Chasseurs au pied double time it into firing positions

Russians take them under fire:

The Swiss flank:

Storming the townhall while a battalion of Fusiliers bypass:

As sure as the sun rises, the Russians begin to form up for a second counterattack, this time it appears they wish not just to retake Borodino, but to turn the entire right flank of the French forces. Drawing off two battalions from the Ravesky redoubt, and shifting Cossack cavalry and infantry from the Bagration fleches, they storm across the river, and right into French squares. The Cossack cavalry are driven back, but the tired French can do little in the face of the Russians that surge against them, the fighting in the streets deteriorates into a melee as the town once again falls into Russian hands. The French flank has been turned, and their efforts ruined by this violent and swift reaction, what remains of the French right pull back aross the Kolocha river and take positions in the woods outside the town, protecting the French batteries from any flanks.

Russians charge across the river

The fall of Borodino

Storming the townhall:

Turning the flank, taking the Fleches:
    Though the Russians have managed to cling to their possession of Borodino, they have so weakened their other positions that it will be no trouble for Murat to capture the Fleches and storm the Ravesky redoubt -- which no longer has any supporting infantry. Speed is of the essence, if the Russians have time to reorganize they may send some infantry to strengthen the great redoubt.

With the reinforcing column in position, French infantry storm the first fleches with relative ease, and begin to use the fleches as a firing platform to support the next attack. French Grenadiers march forward and take the Fleches under fire, while French Chasseurs maneuver onto the hill behind the fleches and give supporting fire from across the river.

While the 2nd Fleches is being engaged, Murat moves the Polish Legion and his dragoons past the fighting and behind the Ravesky redoubt, where, fighting dismounted, the Dragoons help destroy the forces of the 2nd redoubt.

The third redoubt, out of range of the Dragoons and held by a crack battalion of Russian Guard infantry, proves to be a bloody battle, with a French Grenadier unit exhausting itself in the struggle for it.

With the fleches neutralized, and the Ravesky redoubts lightly guarded, Murat heads the column that moves towards Borodino -- Kutuzov is pursued by Dragoons but escapes the field unharmed. A detachment of Chasseurs storms the redoubt and neutralizes the guns, and the Russians, realizing they are being surrounded in Borodino, prepare for the end.

The fall of the first fleche

With the battle raging below, Polish infantry march towards their objective

Dragoons take position....

The second fleche falls

Storming the final fleche

Russian Gun crews watch in stunned silence as the fleches fall to the French

Murat and his forces move towards Borodino

Reloading in vain as the Ravesky redoubt falls

Fall of Borodino, Final Victory
    Their commander has fled the field, their guns have either been spiked or captured, and they are surrounded on 3 sides. The Russian forces left in Borodino have very few options, fleeing north without fighting will result in them being pursued and destroyed by French Cavalry, with no other options left to them, they form lines and prepare to fight. The Russians choose to contest the crossings, sending a Battalion of Guards to meet the French outside the village. The Guards halt the Polish advance, and it takes a combined charge, led by Murat himself, to open the way for the French forces.

With the Russian Guards swept aside, French infantry form a line along the bank and trade volleys with the Russian infantry, now mostly Militia and understrength regulars. Murat's Curassiers and the remaining Dragoons wheel west, and enter the village from that direction, brushing aside the defense of that crossing with a thunderous charge. The rout of the west flank starts a chain reaction, and the Russians give up the fight and flee in a blind panic to the North, with Murat in a perfect position to pursue.

Contesting the crossing

Murat directing his troops in the melee

His job done, Murat pulls back and wheels west, as fresh French Infantry move to engage the Russian defenders.

Murat enters Borodino from the West

Token resistance leads to a mass route

Like the battle in reality, it is a bloody affair, with casualties being very near to one another on both sides. In reality, these high casualties, coupled with Napoleon's army being in no position to pursue, would lead to his wintry and decisive retreat from Russia. However, in game, my forces were pursuing the surviving Russians when the battle ended. Changing history is always an intriguing affair.
    Napoleon Battle AARs:

Hatty + Lowe's (Rinaldi) vs. Draper and Descarius Pt. 1

Details: Just a quick 2 v 2 battle chaps, to show that I am still very much alive and that this thread continues to have my attention. This is a battle between myself and a clanmate with two randoms in tow. I've decided to write the AAR from my perspective only. Part One will show me defeating my clanmate and Part Two will show me rushing whats left of my forces to help aid my ally.

Lowe French Empire
    Hatsune Russian Empire
    Descarius Great Britian
    Draper Prussia

Basic Strategy

I play Draper often, and I'll be damned if he'll let me grab the dominating ground before him. The man will bally run his men ragged to crest that hill before me, and I have no doubt he will hide a few men away in that blooming forest. Why fight it? No point in running my men ragged in an effort to beat him to the top. I form 3 columns of 2 Lines each, Old guard in the centre, being screened by a healthy amount of Chasseurs a pied. I move some Lancers off to a flank, orginally just to see if it would draw anything off, but the placement of his artillery gives me an opportunity I cannot pass up.

For the forest itself, I think it is better to bypass it until I can surround it and push in on the defensible terrain as best I can...

Prussian Artillery breaks away from the safety of their army:

French Forces advance:

Opening Moves

As soon as the battle begins, our opposing columns begin to march, mine at a walking pace, Draper's at a running start. His horse artillery breaks away from the main force and rushes blindly up the hill in order to gain the dominant ground as soon as possible. Likewise, as I predicted, he moves into the forest with a couple squadrons of Lancers and two battalions of Line.

Prussian Artillery unlimber:

Prussians push into the forest:

French Cavalry waiting...

He has already made his first mistake, his artillery is highly vulnerable and has no infantry in support of it. I seize my chance, rushing the Lancers up the forested side of the hill, splitting off one squadron to distract and slow down the nearest column of infantry so the cavalry can take the guns in relative saftey. It works far better then expected, the Prussian columns fail to form square and suffer a devastating charge, and there is little effective reaction to my cavalry running amok of the guns. With my lancers running amok amongst a very confused Prussian army, I use the opportunity to rush forward my skirmishers and infantry, who crest the hill without so much as a shot fired against them.

The Charge:

Falling upon the Prussian column:

Sweeping the guns:

Catching one still limbered!:

French skirmishers arrive, lancers fight in the background:

Battle for the Hill

The Prussian columns finally manage to get in order, and beat back my lancers, who retreat from the field. The Prussian line, though thinned a little, is still raring for a fight, and has a solid flank in the forest. I quickly break off a unit of Old Guard and my right-hand column to start pushing in to the forest to at least halfheartedly keep the Prussian units engaged. Meanwhile, my Chasseurs begin to trade fire with the Prussian fusiliers, who had taken casualties from the rampaging cavalry. Due to the number advantage, my light infantry are able to hold their own against the vastly superior Prussian skirmishers, and their fire is soon supplemented by that of my line.

The lancers are finally thrown back:

Skirmish lines clash:

Meanwhile; holding the Prussians in the forest:

Lines clash:

Knowing that he is going to lose the slugfest to the superior and fresher French units, my opponent commits an isolated bayonet charge, and rushes up Freikorps cavalry to charge into the engaged French, who are helpless to counter the charge. The French hold, and the light cavalry, already weak on the charge, bog down in the melee. I turn this against my enemy, who's engaged infantry can not counter my own heavy cavalry, whom I rush into the melee.

Vowarts, angriff!

The Freikorps join the fray:

The Freikorps attempt to retreat, as do his infantry, but the French infantry give chase with the bayonet, and the heavy Cavalry plunge into the reserves of the Prussian army as his line buckles. The Curassiers have to retreat with moderate casualties when the reserve battalions of infantry form square, but they are quickly overrun by French Infantry as the main Prussian force melts away.

The Curassiers arrive, the pursuit:

The Prussians caught in the forest are surrounded and destroyed, and what is left of my infantry reforms and gets ready to rush to my Ally's aid. I rush my Dragoons and horse artillery towards the action, knowing that their speed and dismounted abilities will be of great service to my Ally.

This is the end; the Old Guard crush the center:

To be continued...

Napoleon Battle AARs: