Thread: Defeating superior generals

Default Defeating superior generals

In my Greek campaign, I have a faction leader (Ammpides, 28) who's quite talented (two command stars) and starts to get more experience slowly: too slowly in my opinion, but the reason for this is that he has the 'Likes easy battles' trait. Anyway, he kicked the Maks out of Greece and conquered all of Thessaly, Makedonia and is now giving the Epirotes a hard time. The Maks he fought had a few very talented generals, on of them having about seven stars. Ammpides had about 900 men, a balanced force of missile troops and phalanx with no cavalry except his own bodyguards. The 8-star Demetrios had 700 force, superior phalanx and one unit of hetaroi. So the odds were slightly against me. Needless to say, I defeated the AI and destroyed their entire army, killing Demetrios. I've done the same thing with the Epirian king Alexandros.

My general didn't received any new traits, quite disappointing. Defeating a far more experienced commander was very difficult during those days, especially with the odds even. I suggest to give your general a higher chance of gaining the 'Good Tactician' or 'Good Leader' trait after defeating a very able commander (let's say above 6 stars).
    In patronicum sub Tacticalwithdrawal
    Brother of Rosacrux redux and Polemides

yeah, i seem to get the "likes easy battles" trait quite easily even though the forces i fight against are even or even stacked a little bit in thier favor. and when you go even odds against a 7 star general the battles are generally quite hard if you only have a 1 star general. i agree you should get the tactician/leader trait when you defeat a obvisouly superior general with equal forces, if that is at all possible.

another trait that i got, and i havent been able to figure out why is "scared of blood" or something similar. i didn't even notice that i had recieved it. anyone know what causes this?

by the way guys, fantastic mod so far. though i have only just started on a averni (sp??) campaign. fantastic. the traits and the way you recieve them are exceptioally well done for a beta. i also read some thread about the gestatae (sp?? again) and i think they are far from over powered. those roman general cav flanked me and wreaked some havoc. anyone who thinks they are too strong needs to change their tactics. though they are a great infantry unit. i look forward to going against the spartans with them

I have even defeat some enimies in a against all odds condittion and it seemed to have no chances you have a poit here! Another question, shouldn't the captains became generals after the same conditions or when they menage to defend the capital alone with theier garrison? What the community thinks?