Thread: Early Preview 2.2: Spherical Case Shot

Default Early Preview 2.2: Spherical Case Shot

Spherical Case Shot (and other artillery changes)

Spherical case shot is an advanced form of anti-personnel ammunition invented by the British Ltn. Shrapnel in 1784. Shrapnel's innovation was to combine the multi-projectile shotgun effect of canister shot, with a time fuse to open the canister and disperse the bullets it contained at some distance along the canister's trajectory from the gun. His shell was a hollow cast-iron sphere filled with a mixture of balls and powder, with a crude time fuse. If the fuse was set correctly then the shell would break open, either in front or above the intended target, releasing its contents (of musket balls). The shrapnel balls would carry on with the "remaining velocity" of the shell. In addition to a denser pattern of musket balls, the retained velocity could be higher as well, since the shrapnel shell as a whole would likely have a higher ballistic coefficient than the individual musket balls. It took until 1803 for the British artillery to adopt the shrapnel shell (as "spherical case"), albeit with great enthusiasm when it did. Henry Shrapnel was promoted to Major in the same year. The first recorded use of shrapnel by the British was in 1804 against the Dutch at Fort Amsterdam in Surinam. The Duke of Wellington's armies used it from 1808 in the Peninsular War and at the Battle of Waterloo, and he wrote admiringly of its effectiveness.

Spherical Case Shot (Shrapnel Shot)
    • Introducing spherical case shot, which is a deadly form of ammunition for medium ranges. The spherical case shot explodes during flight and unleashes a hail of musket balls. Especially deadly against masses of infantry like the French infantry attack columns.
    • Britain can research spherical case shot with army buildings level 3. All other nations have to wait until they have a level 5 army building.
    • After researching the spherical case shot technology all howitzers can shoot that type of ammunition.
    • Britain can recruit a limited number of 6-pdr, 9-pdr and 12-pdr cannons with spherical case shot as additional ammunition.

Some Other Changes to Artillery
    • Vanilla NTW issue with artillery finally solved (well...circumvented to be exact ): Solid shot no longer scatters men, and will kill infantry (and not only cavalry) beyond the maximum range! This will help especially the AI which tends to shoot at maximum range without causing casualities to infantry.
    • Solid shots got a longer range.
    • Howitzer shells have a longer range, but less explosive power.
    • Canister range was slightly shortened and the amount of balls reduced, but canister balls now bounce on the ground and are much more deadly!
    • Removed experimental howitzers from the game.
    • Removed accuracy ability for howitzers (too much magic involved).
    • Improved ballistics of shrapnels from explosive shells and rockets.

Some pics showing a British 9-lbr with spherical case shot button, the new tech tree, and a Austrian general unit under spherical case shot fire:
    Last edited by Yarkis de Bodemloze; January 18, 2011 at 11:13 AM.

Default Re: Early Preview 2.2: Spherical Case Shot

That looks amazing. Can't wait to try it out. Love the sound of bounce for cannister. Do the shrapnel shots also bounce? And solid shot actually killing :O I'm sick of shot skipping the length of a line and causing 20 kills when it hits 80 odd people

Sounds like artillery is going to be vicious with this included. As it should be

Quote Originally Posted by rossw View Post
    That looks amazing. Can't wait to try it out. Love the sound of bounce for cannister. Do the shrapnel shots also bounce? And solid shot actually killing :O I'm sick of shot skipping the length of a line and causing 20 kills when it hits 80 odd people

Sounds like artillery is going to be vicious with this included. As it should be
    Yes, shrapnels also bounce. And canister shots are very reliable killers now. However, In the next version, I will raise the number of men in a line infantry unit to 200, but will keep 4 cannons in the foot and horse batteries and reduce howitzer units to 3 guns (the artillery heavy Russians will still have 4 unicorns per unit). That way the men to guns ratio will be more historical and artillery units will not be overpowered with the changes introduced. I am even thinking of reducing the number of cannons for British units to 3, because they were notoriously short on guns. This way, factions will be more differentiated.

hippacrocafish's Avatar Campidoctor

Sounds pretty cool Yarkis, can't wait.

Excellent news! All and so it is fine if still artillery will improve absolutely perfectly well. To look forward!!

Whether there will be artillery changes by separate submods? Or to wait for new release? The rest and so it is excellent!

Oo i like! Me and shrapnel shot will be close friends, yes.

Sound very interesting!

Even 20 kills per shot is ridiculous ammount

Soon the week as there is no news!

Works are suspended? There are no news?
    Quote Originally Posted by yantar007 View Post
    Soon the week as there is no news!
    Last edited by yantar007; January 29, 2011 at 09:51 AM.

Condottiere SOG's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by FilipVonZietek View Post
    Even 20 kills per shot is ridiculous ammount
    Not so ridiculous as you might think...the memoirs of many 'linear warfare period' officers and men report said casualties in battle from one shell. these rounds did not hit 'johnny on the spot' all the time, but, when they were dead on...they were devastating to 'columns of battle' and 'lines of battle'. It is one of the reasons the British went to a two rank system as they lacked the manpower of most of their allies and opponents. a direct hit shell on a column could disable nearly 100 soldiers...and open huge gaps in 'line of battle' much like canister or grape shot. The most effective assault on artillery was quick cavalry action or open order light infantry attack. Having plenty of these units in your army is most effective to this cause.

It is also one of the reasons I play with size 3x and 4x units...and I get a more realistic depiction of linear combat. I tend to have upwards of 120 cannons or more in battles...just in one army. In fact, I roll with (as the Prussians) with lots of cannon, much like the period Prussians did...because the French infantry tactics are often too strong for my forces. In my mod, cannons fire shell much as howitzers do...which is normally an unrecognized flaw in these TW games. It takes a bit of time to mod in. Also grapeshot.

I recommend reading "1812: Napoleon's Russian Campaign" for said period quotes and a thorough definition of linear warfare period tactics and weapons.
    Last edited by Condottiere SOG; January 05, 2013 at 03:30 PM.
    Erasmo
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
    System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
    System Model: G73Sw
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
    Memory: 12288MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 12266MB RAM
    Page File: 2634MB used, 21881MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode