View Poll Results: what editor for modding you prefer?

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • MilkShape 3D

62 45.26%
  • 3dstudio Max

67 48.91%
  • other

12 8.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Mesh/Cas/Engine - MaxScript version of GOAT tool

Default Re: Mesh/Cas - MaxScript version of GOAT tool

the same issue of Bolkonsky
    look #114 post
    the script want the 3dstudio's archive folder, if you have reinstalled maxscript is possible what the new installation have changed the archive path folder.

but it is very strange there are a lot of people with this issue... now many installation have you done ?

i put a new script in http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=3311
    clic on maxscript > run > "MeshCas_utilities_OpenByRun.ms"
    this script folder "m2tw_scripts" can be placed in all folder of windows, but is a old version because i found some issue with internal folder path (example when 3dstudio ask some file's location etc...).

I prefer that you put the "m2tw_scripts" folder in the correct "...\Documents\3dsmax\archives\..." folder and run the new version "MeshCas_utilities.ms"
    Forums:............freeforumzone - mtwitalia - twcenter
    Works:.....worldcollision file - ModelReferencePoints files - MaxScript Building Editor
    Other:.............siege-engine(video) - new-animations(video) - buildings
    Have to take the money where it is: at the poor. They have little, but they are many. Alphonse Allais

Auto-Nabishtam's Avatar Civis

Viva l'Italia, it done, I put the folder in C:\Users\Haedar\Documents\3dsMax\archives\m2tw_scripts\archives till it work (infact I make m2tw_scripts as awork directory and inside m2tw_script's new archive folder I run the script and it now work).Thank you John thank you my friendViva l'Italia..Viva l'Italia..Viva l'Italia.

Works:.....worldcollision file - ModelReferencePoints files - MaxScript Building Editor
    Have to take the money where it is: at the poor. They have little, but they are many. Alphonse Allais

Haedar's Avatar Miles

That great tools, much saves my time by no need to .ms3d, thank you johnwhile +rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Haedar View Post
    That great tools, much saves my time by no need to .ms3d, thank you johnwhile +rep.
    Thanks , this is also the goal for my mod, with direct conversion you can resolve a lot of issue during 3dstudio -> milkshape conversion and you can build very easy a lot of specific tool for medieval2 models.

In future i want build a Lod's creator to use the "Level of details" of game.

boboav's Avatar Decanus

3dstudio Max forever!!!!!!!
    Modder of "Bellum Crucis" and "De Bello Mundi"

Quote Originally Posted by boboav View Post
    but why only few people use 3d studio? for the cost or for difficulty?
    I can understand the cost but about difficult no, i think Milkshape's functions are very limited so is more easy work with 3dstudio, there are some basic tutorial example this :
    http://www.ecosystem3d.com/ (the Bible of tutorial but in italian)

Essential is not synonymous of simplicity !

Last edited by johnwhile; July 07, 2011 at 07:50 AM.

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

Quote Originally Posted by johnwhile
    I can understand the cost but about difficult no, i think Milkshape's functions are very limited so is more easy work with 3dstudio,
    err legally its about 4500 GBP v 25GBP. I can't understand how you can afford it (legally).
    Its obvious its better but at simply too high a cost .. you can't even legally use the cheaper USA version if you read the licence agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
    err legally its about 4500 GBP v 25GBP. I can't understand how you can afford it (legally).
    Its obvious its better but at simply too high a cost .. you can't even legally use the cheaper USA version if you read the licence agreement.
    Most people get them on student licences if I had to guess.
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

Quote Originally Posted by Bolkonsky
    Most people get them on student licences if I had to guess.
    You're probably right that price is only around 170 GBP in the UK for Autodesk Education Suite for Entertainment Creation 2012 Student perpetual licence. That would be a no brainer to buy. Unfortunately if you are not a student etc its a hell of a mark up as there is no casual usage licences for non students that I'm aware of....

not my fault, it's the fault of internet what it provides free licenses
    “You can click but you can’t hide”.

Has anyone ever tried Gmax ? i read now that is free ! http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax
    Last edited by johnwhile; July 08, 2011 at 08:38 AM.

Wow, Gmax is very similar to 3dstudio and IT'S FREE !!! It hasn't vertex limit and i think is a real substitute of milkshape.

wilddog can you export entire complex with your IWTE into gmax's file ?

Quote Originally Posted by johnwhile View Post
    Wow, Gmax is very similar to 3dstudio and IT'S FREE !!! It hasn't vertex limit and i think is a real substitute of milkshape.

Gmax is very similar to 3ds - (was also owned by same group) - impression I had was that it had some functions deliberately nerfed to allow people to use Gmax as a learning tool but force them to buy 3ds eventually... e.g. for RTW unit models; it was possible to import them from .cas to gmax via Vercingetorix's script, but you couldn't use the script to export from Gmax as those functions didn't work....

*cough* as you're the one developing 3ds scripts, I'd suggest you should try seeing if they work for both import and export on Gmax... as it'd need to be done under that sort of system.

Sorry as its no advantage to me its not worth my time. I only responded tied to you asking

Think I'd probably spend the time looking into Blender instead.. but not at this stage.

Germanicu5's Avatar Will buy spare time...

I tried johnwhile's scripts (very good work btw) with gmax before- unfortunately they don't work due to maxscript version differences (johnwhile's tools were developed with maxscript version > 9, it's not entirely backwards compatible).

I'm hopeful that it's just some syntax that needs to be adapted and we'll be able to enjoy scripts with gmax.

Regards

P.S. Yes, 3ds max is insanely expensive and beyond most forum users' reach.
    I have no memory of this place.

Gmax-script is maxscript version < 4, there are a lot of function not implemented... but is strange what don't export, is possible what Vercingetorix have written only in max....
    I there are the necessity i can convert to gmax

Auto-Nabishtam's Avatar Civis

Hi john, me and my mod East of Rome need your help I am trying since two weak to make Bow String ability in this mod I did every thing right"at least I thought" my .ms3d and .mesh reads the new three bones I add to the models, I finished wxportin the new skeleton to the new family of bowman "EOR_Bowman" but in game the process isn't looking as I managed in .cas animations still the point of the bow that weighted to bone_sling (a new bone) no goes to bone_sling,..that drive me crazy,, so I will trying to create this ability using your awsome script so I need your information and ccollaborating in this and before that I shall ask you if that possible(I mean making a bow string ability, and adding new bone etc..) with your script if yes it will be great help to me john.
    Thank you

OK, the first step is made the skelexport file and put into m2tw_scripts\lib\skeletons, when you save your model into mesh format you loss all skeleton bone positions and hierarchy, with the GOAT you can extract the skelexport file with "Extract Skeleton" from a ms3d file.
    KE' have made two version of skeleton, i don't understand why, open the skelexport file with notepad and assured what the bones are in the same format of my script's skelexport.

This file is very important because is the skeleton used to build animations, remember that the mesh file don't contain skeleton information, only bone assignments, the cas animation contains it

I'm getting some damn errors with it when i select the script, a code-editor poops up and i get an error message. The script then loads but only with a "close" button... What is it?
    Click on my sig and check out my modelling works! Your opinion is welcome!

Simple, you have a message error because you don't put the m2tw_script in the "archive" folder of max

--> MESSAGE #121--> #114
    Last edited by johnwhile; July 31, 2011 at 04:40 AM.