View Poll Results: what editor for modding you prefer?

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • MilkShape 3D

62 45.26%
  • 3dstudio Max

67 48.91%
  • other

12 8.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Mesh/Cas/Engine - MaxScript version of GOAT tool

Default Re: Mesh/Cas - MaxScript version of GOAT tool

In the mesh there aren't skeleton, only bone name and the vertices percentage of assignment, so is impossible know the position and relationship about bones. This data are stored in the cas file, in fact at the start and end of file there are the relationship and local positions, also Knight Errant use a skelexport files to store this type of data.

In max, with my script, where aren't relations about skeleton and skin modifier. When you export a mesh the script read only all bone in the scene, and read the skin modifier, DONT BUILD THE SKELETON, in fact if you use "Use Skeleton" or not is the same thing.
    The skeleton are use ONLY TO BUILD CORRECTLY animations.

When importing a mesh the script import only bone name but if you utilize the options "Use Skeleton" it try to build also skeleton, but isn't necessary for mesh files, it's only a useful option to work more correct when editing animations.
    Forums:............freeforumzone - mtwitalia - twcenter
    Works:.....worldcollision file - ModelReferencePoints files - MaxScript Building Editor
    Other:.............siege-engine(video) - new-animations(video) - buildings
    Have to take the money where it is: at the poor. They have little, but they are many. Alphonse Allais

Tsar Stefan Dusan IV's Avatar Loonatic on the loose!!

Hi, I like the thought of not opening milkshape EVER again..........

I am experiencing a problem during the saving model process.
    Run script
    Import model
    Modify
    Save
    Everithing fine but in game normals are messed up.......
    Any idea what is going wrong?

P.S. Classic soldier skeleton, rider for cav unit.
    MaxDesign2009
    +rep

Uhmm... I made a little mistake when I merge the script for building and for mesh, that happens to normals? they have a wrong direction? can you post a screenshot ?

PS:it's possible that there are some bugs because I'm focusing on building script, because for De Bello Mundi we are doing a completely new settlements. I have almost completed the first full beta so i put the correction for "mesh" in the new version.
    Works:.....worldcollision file - ModelReferencePoints files - MaxScript Building Editor
    Have to take the money where it is: at the poor. They have little, but they are many. Alphonse Allais

Thanks for the turbo reply!!!
    Yes, the normals are pointing randomly, some outwards, some inwards...
    When I save the model I am prompted to continue EVEN though "skin" modifier supercedes the "edit normals" one.
    So I try this: modify the normals, convert the object to editable mesh, then I tried both, to apply "edit normals" and not to. Skin the model. And to no avail!
    Here are the screens:

EDIT:
    Added ingame screenie.
    Last edited by Tsar Stefan Dusan IV; May 30, 2011 at 06:16 PM.

alin's Avatar Campidoctor

Have you reseted the XForms for your model?

I would suggest to do that and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by alin View Post
    Have you reseted the XForms for your model?

I would suggest to do that and try again.
    Nothing...

this is the last version, i check the exported data and now is correct, the script work also if you delete the normal modifier.

PS: there are also the world script (free source) but isn't completed (try to import north_european_large_town_a.world)

OK, please pardon my newbishness but could someone point me in the right direction of installing this?

I placed the files in C:\Users\Me\My Documents\3ds Max\archives and booted up 3ds max. When I try to run the script, I get several errors about missing files.

I've never really worked with 3ds max (aside from some minor toying) so I'm having some difficulty with this.
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

Quote Originally Posted by Bolkonsky View Post
    OK, please pardon my newbishness but could someone point me in the right direction of installing this?
    I placed the files in C:\Users\Me\My Documents\3ds Max\archives and booted up 3ds max. When I try to run the script, I get several errors about missing files.
    I've never really worked with 3ds max (aside from some minor toying) so I'm having some difficulty with this.
    I hope this screenshot clarifies better:
    C:\Users\Me\My Documents\3ds Max\archives\m2tw_script\

i chose this way because there are a lot of external files and isn't possible utilize only one script, so maxscript must know the positions of other files and using archive folder of 3dstudio max is the fast way in maxscript
    Last edited by johnwhile; June 02, 2011 at 11:40 AM.

OK, I have the feeling I'm missing something extremely obvious.

I get this error every time I attempt to run it:

Except all the "missing" files are there, installed in this path:

C:\Users\Colin\Documents\3dsMax\archives\m2tw_scripts\lib\
    Last edited by Bolkonsky; November 08, 2012 at 08:18 PM.
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

uhmm.... strange....
    Try this:
    open the listener and write in the first edit text this:
    Code:
    ScriptDir = (getDir #archives) +"\\m2tw_scripts"
    press RETURN and tell me the maxscript answer in blue like in screenschot.
    what version of max do you uses ?

"C:\Users\Colin\Desktop\Imperium Graecorum\Resources\3ds Max\archives\m2tw_scripts"
    And I'm running 2011 x64

i don't know how you have installed 3dstudio max, is strange what 3dstudio utilize this folder patch, it must use this "C:\Users\Colin\Documents\3dsMax\archives\m2tw_scripts\lib\" and not "C:\Users\Colin\Desktop\Imperium Graecorum\Resources\3ds Max\archives\m2tw_scripts"
    to resolve :
    1. open the script: "MeshCas_utilities.ms"
    2. go to the 13th row, where there are the string ScriptDir = (getDir #archives) +"\\m2tw_scripts" --sysInfo.currentdir
    3. use you custom path changing example with:
    ScriptDir = "C:\\Users\\Colin\\Documents\\3dsMax\\archives\\m2tw_scripts\\"

i post your "MeshCas_utilities.ms", you can change the folder path, the script use ScriptDir as script directory, in my first version i had utilized the string:
    ScriptDir = sysInfo.currentdir but this don't work correctly in some case
    Last edited by johnwhile; June 03, 2011 at 04:44 PM.

solution1 : you can change the default settings like image and write the correct path folder...

solution2 : or put your m2tw_scripts folder in the directory "C:\Users\Colin\Desktop\Imperium Graecorum\Resources\3ds Max\archives"
    Last edited by johnwhile; June 03, 2011 at 10:03 AM.

Ok, no errors when I run. Thank you very much! Just one more question since I'm a newb when it comes to working with 3ds max. When I run it, should I then be able to import .mesh files just by normal methods?

What do you mean "by normal method"? if you mean import like 3ds file ( File > Import > *. mesh ) isn't possible because i must use visual strudio 2008 and c++ language to build a plugin... the script import mesh file by clic Open in the script pannel

Maybe I'm getting this all wrong then. I ran the script, so then I now need to open the script window and choose "Open" in the script panel, and select the .mesh file I need to open?
    Last edited by Bolkonsky; November 08, 2012 at 08:18 PM.

why you have opened the script editor ????, after run the script you can use script in the Utilities menu like screenshot.

No matter what I did I was getting errors, but I solved it now. I had to restart Max. It works now. Great tool, thank you very much!

Auto-Nabishtam's Avatar Civis

johnwhile, help me I re install my PC and my max, but you script dosnot wor in fact this error box appear when I try to open the tool, any advice, thank you.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us