View Poll Results: what editor for modding you prefer?

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • MilkShape 3D

62 45.26%
  • 3dstudio Max

67 48.91%
  • other

12 8.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Mesh/Cas/Engine - MaxScript version of GOAT tool

Default Re: Mesh/Cas - MaxScript version of GOAT tool

ok thanks, i fix the bone assign issue for skin modifier applied to objects created by scratch: now, if you don't delete zero weight or you wrote more than 2 (for mesh version) or more than 1 (for cas version), the script assign in the respective version the correct weight (or find the bigger weight).
    Forums:............freeforumzone - mtwitalia - twcenter
    Works:.....worldcollision file - ModelReferencePoints files - MaxScript Building Editor
    Other:.............siege-engine(video) - new-animations(video) - buildings
    Have to take the money where it is: at the poor. They have little, but they are many. Alphonse Allais

Laetus

johnwhile
    You created the tool is excellent in all respects.
    With the help of your script, i can edit the animation unit in M2TW?
    The base skeleton is actual only for models in the format .cas?
    I can add own skeletons in the base of skeletons?
    I can make a binding model to the bones with your script? And then export M2TW?

Thanks in advance for answers...sorry my bad english
    Last edited by zarus; April 11, 2011 at 05:15 AM.

With the help of your script, i can edit the animation unit in M2TW?: Yes, it was designed in the beginning for this

The base skeleton is actual only for models in the format .cas?
    I can add own skeletons in the base of skeletons?:

I can't understand, you can edit a custom skeleton for *.mesh and *.cas's model and then save it in *.cas animations... (to work correctly you must save before the *.skelexport file and put the file in the skeleton folder in the script)

I can make a binding model to the bones with your script? And then export M2TW?
    i can't understand, do you mean saving cas 's building version for M2tw ? yes but i don't tested, the game use cas file for animation , stratmap, building, missile ecc.... i tested animation and stratmap and missile, building i'm not sure but i think work

PS: the script isn't very easy because you can edit all data, so there are a lot of things what i can write in a tutorial
    Last edited by johnwhile; April 11, 2011 at 11:09 AM.
    Works:.....worldcollision file - ModelReferencePoints files - MaxScript Building Editor
    Have to take the money where it is: at the poor. They have little, but they are many. Alphonse Allais

Laetus

johnwhile
    Thanks for the replies.
    I mean the following. Can I create my (brand new) a skeleton for the model in the format. mesh and using your script to export this new skeleton in the game?

the *.mesh model don't contain skeleton, only a bone's index what must match with skeleton used in all animations, the skeleton informations are store in all *.cas animations.
    You can
    1a) create your custom skeleton in 3dstudio max and export to *.skelexport file and utilize it also in GOAT.
    1b) extract *.skelexport from a random *cas animation
    1c) get *.skelexport with GOAT tool of Knight Errant from a MilkShape file (i utilize the same format to avoid interaction with these two tools) but careful: use "zero rotation bone" in Milkshape otherwise the bone's rotation will be wrong.

After creation of new skelexport, you can:
    2) made a *.mesh units and assign these new skeleton's bone
    3) made *.cas animations with this new skeleton
    4) in all case you can create in max only skeleton from *.skelexport file, change and then re-save to *.skelexport

But the creation of all new animation by scratch is a very long work, example for a standard human soldier there are about 120 animation (run, walk, ecc...), some time ago a user ask me to build a Dragon skeleton with some basic animation. I have made these files but the game crashed because is necessary write a lot of correct file like descr_skeleton.txt but this is not my problem.
    Last edited by johnwhile; April 11, 2011 at 03:31 PM.

a skelexport file is a simple text file with bone positions, bone hierarchy and bone name, like this (War Dog from original m2tw)
    Code:
    +0.00000000, +0.82472670, -0.05306334,    0, bone_DG_Root
    +0.00201596, -0.00110139, -0.00469090,    1, bone_DG_Lower back
    -0.10601597, -0.03240907, -0.33286363,    2, bone_DG_R_L leg_top
    +0.00000022, -0.26116240, -0.02103382,    3, bone_DG_R_L leg_mid
    +0.00000058, -0.21009299, -0.25799170,    4, bone_DG_R_L leg_low
    -0.00614304, -0.21785074, -0.05826136,    5, bone_DG_R_L leg_foot
    +0.10227737, -0.03240892, -0.33286351,    2, bone_DG_R_R leg_top
    +0.00000022, -0.26116240, -0.02103384,    7, bone_DG_R_R leg_mid
    +0.00000058, -0.21009299, -0.25799170,    8, bone_DG_R_R leg_low
    -0.00614304, -0.21785074, -0.05826136,    9, bone_DG_R_R leg_foot
    -0.00201596, -0.02446377, -0.49427754,    2, bone_DG_Tail
    +0.00000000, +0.11292963, +0.36006519,    1, bone_DG_Neck
    -0.01676910, +0.15002155, +0.07398713,   12, bone_DG_Head
    +0.00000000, +0.03939914, +0.10809473,   13, bone_DG_Mouth
    -0.12534906, -0.03843234, +0.24773185,    1, bone_DG_F_l leg_top01
    +0.00009372, -0.17863323, +0.12912168,   15, bone_DG_F_l leg_top
    +0.00025537, -0.24738456, -0.02133668,   16, bone_DG_F_L leg_low
    -0.00000016, -0.24728616, +0.07302752,   17, bone_DG_F_L leg_foot
    +0.12496628, -0.03843225, +0.24773201,    1, bone_DG_F_R leg_top01
    +0.00009371, -0.17863323, +0.12912183,   19, bone_DG_F_R leg_top
    +0.00025539, -0.24738456, -0.02133685,   20, bone_DG_F_R leg_low
    -0.00000015, -0.24728622, +0.07302742,   21, bone_DG_F_R leg_foot
    a mesh file contain only bone name so isn't utilized to store skeleton

Alkimachos's Avatar EoR Modeller

Well done mate! Thanks for this tool!!! +rep!!!

East of Rome Co - Leader / Modeller of Asia ton Barbaron / Ex beta tester of Roma Surrectum

Heeehehe's Avatar Tiro
    City of Lightning, Equator Emerald, 1st Level of Heaven

How to use this?
    "And indeed We created man (Adam) out of an extract of clay (water and earth). Thereafter We made him (the offspring of Adam) as a Nutfah (mixed drops of the male and female sexual discharge) (and lodged it) in a safe lodging (womb of the woman). Then We made the Nutfah into a clot (a piece of thick coagulated blood), then We made the clot into a little lump of flesh, then We made out of that little lump of flesh bones, then We clothed the bones with flesh, and then We brought it forth as another creation. So blessed be Allah, the best of creators. After that, surely, you will die. Then (again), surely, you will be resurrected on the Day of Resurrection. And indeed We have created above you seven heavens (one over the other), and We are never unaware of the creation." (QS. Al-Mu'minun (23):12-17)

"He who has not seen it does not know the power of Islam." -Ibn Khaldun

Heeehehe's Avatar Tiro
    City of Lightning, Equator Emerald, 1st Level of Heaven

Already know how to use it, Thank you for the tool
    Last edited by Heeehehe; April 14, 2011 at 03:44 AM.
    "And indeed We created man (Adam) out of an extract of clay (water and earth). Thereafter We made him (the offspring of Adam) as a Nutfah (mixed drops of the male and female sexual discharge) (and lodged it) in a safe lodging (womb of the woman). Then We made the Nutfah into a clot (a piece of thick coagulated blood), then We made the clot into a little lump of flesh, then We made out of that little lump of flesh bones, then We clothed the bones with flesh, and then We brought it forth as another creation. So blessed be Allah, the best of creators. After that, surely, you will die. Then (again), surely, you will be resurrected on the Day of Resurrection. And indeed We have created above you seven heavens (one over the other), and We are never unaware of the creation." (QS. Al-Mu'minun (23):12-17)

"He who has not seen it does not know the power of Islam." -Ibn Khaldun

Rhaymo's Avatar Artifex

i need famel model so i choose female peasant of rtw. vercingetorix' tool failed, but your tool work perfect! good job my friend, i rep u.
    Team Leader De Bello Mundi

wolfslayer's Avatar Senator

Awesome script johnwhile, thanks so much!

I am trying to model a javelin ground effect similiar to arrows, but no luck so far importing weapon_javelin_high/low .cas into 3dmax with your script...

arrow_projectile_ground_impact.cas does import/export with your script fine, I need to model the javelin in the same position, with the point and some of the shaft removed, so it looks like 3/4 or 7/8ths of the model is showing above the ground ;-)

I have the standalone effect working fine, but just a crudely stretched ground arrow modeling the javelin for the moment.

Anyone with model skills or ideas to modify the javelin cas, using arrow_projectile_ground_impact.cas as a reference model (check out the screenie) please PM me, I want to release this for all modders to use!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Here is ground arrow I modified with your Maxscript in 3ds, as you can see extends below ground level so arrow does not "float" in game. I temporarily hide feathers with an alpha channel in the dxt1 texture, until I can create a javelin.cas to replace it..(see javelin_projectile_ground_impact.zip )
    I also want to do this effect with crossbow bolts and other types of arrows.

Here is how effect is done:

Since javelin is thrown you do not need model set..(like arrows) I have not done wall effects yet...

projectile javelin

end_effect javelin_impact_ground_set
    end_man_effect man_impact_small_set
    end_package_effect arrow_impact_wall_set
    end_shatter_effect javelin_impact_ground_set
    end_shatter_man_effect man_impact_small_set
    end_shatter_package_effect arrow_broken_impact_wall_set

damage 0
    radius 0.05
    mass 0.14
    accuracy_vs_units 0.08
    min_angle -60
    max_angle 75
    ;prefer_high
    velocity 15 30
    display aimed invert_model_z
    model data/models_missile/weapon_javelin_high.cas, 40
    model data/models_missile/weapon_javelin_low.cas, max

There is limit to effects added to one txt file, if I add javelin to "effects_impacts.txt" it messes up alpha for flaming weapons, like trebuchet and catapult, so I create new txt file and add to

descr_effects.txt:

descr_event_effects.txt
    descr_arrow_trail_effects.txt
    descr_burning_men_effect.txt
    descr_surface_fire.txt
    descr_burning_oil_effect.txt
    descr_burning_building.txt
    descr_torch_fire.txt
    descr_engine_torch_effects.txt
    descr_artillery_effects.txt
    descr_effect_impacts.txt
    descr_muzzle_flash.txt
    descr_flaming_projectiles.txt
    descr_structure_effects.txt
    descr_tower_crumble_effects.txt
    descr_chimney_smoke.txt
    descr_campfires_brasiers.txt
    descr_water_effects.txt
    descr_boiling_oil.txt
    descr_javelin_effects.txt
    :

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;JAVELIN TEST ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

effect javelin_ground_impact
    {
    type projectile
    {
    model models_effects/javelin_projectile_ground_impact.CAS
    sort_for_speed
    clr_adjust_by_ambient_intensity

fade_time 360
    }
    }

effect_set javelin_impact_ground_set

{
    play_time 5
    lod 1000
    {
    javelin_ground_impact
    bullet_impact_ground_small

}
    }

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

When importing data/models_missile/weapon_javelin_high.cas with your script I get message, "runtime error, array index must be a positive number, got:0"
    Last edited by wolfslayer; April 15, 2011 at 01:06 PM.

Viewing and editing MTW2 textures with MWthumb and DXTbmp

can I use this tool to simply convert an already in game battle model mesh (camels) to a new strat map model CAS. (thus removing the merchant strat map model CAS.) & replacing it with the new camels CAS.?

obvious, but you must follow these steps because the stratmap and mesh units use a different skeleton and you must reassign it:
    1) select the "02_humant" or "01_KE's_solution" skeleton from list and load the mesh units
    2) delete all bone from the scene (so you lost all bone link informations but this is a necessary step)
    3) select "03_Stratmap_human" skeleton from list and the clic on "Create". This step create the stratmap skeleton used in med2
    4) mesh units have a different system than stratmap : stratmap want only one objects, not like mesh, so you must delete duplicate objects and collapse all other.
    moreover stratmap have a different bone's linkage: with mesh units each vertex can have 2 bone link, stratmap want each vertex ONE bone link (so you can't link examples a vertex to 50% bone_pelvis & 50% bone_torso but only 100% bone_pelvis )
    5) when your model is collapse in ONE EDITABLE_MESH OBJECTS you can re-apply "skin modifier" and re-made the bone's linkage (this is the longer step)
    6) after complete, you must assign the right material with right texture link(mesh units don't have this information) and some comments in the objects: to understand what you must write can open ad existing stratmap example assassin.cas and copy the material and comments
    7) select "03_Stratmap_human" skeleton from list and the clic on Save Cas model.

if you have some problem send me your mesh model and i will show the correct steps with a simple tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by johnwhile View Post
    if you have some problem send me your mesh model and i will show the correct steps with a simple tutorial
    I appreciate the help John ( I was hoping it would be easier than that!) I might as well just learn how to do new strat models period!
    but thank you very much! anyway!

thanks.
    obvious, you can't do anything with one clic, but with milkshape and goat you must do the same steps because the problem is change skeleton. I could make a tool to convert mesh to stratmap but it's too complicated.

alin's Avatar Campidoctor

I always wondered the reason for the collision sphere your tool imports. What is it used for by the game? Setting it to zero hasn't done any visible effects...

I do not know exactly, I put a random name because i suppose have effect for siege engine.
    I found two BoundingSphere into *.mesh files, i'm sure that one is used to enclose the vertices but the second i don't know...i found different radius only in siege engine....

PS: The tool don't work correctly with stratmap, the GOAT import export correctly but the game crash.

PS2: I'm working how with Mesh file used for building animation, i found the new file strutture but my problem is with *.animinstance and *.anim file:
    i'm testing the file:
    "palisade_straight_animation_a.anim"
    because it's the first animations of palisade and i found this string at the end of file:
    Code:
    3D Studio MAX  
     Granny Standard Exporter, SDK version 2.6.0.14  
     C:\work\master\Asset\BlockSet\North_European\Animations\Wall_Animations\Town_Wooden_Palisade\palisade_straight_animation_a.max  
     C:/work/master/asset/BlockSet/Textures/walls_wooden_palisade.tga
    etc....
    I Know that Activision use Granny2 for model, animations and texture so my question : someone of you know what is it? WHERE IS KNIGHT ERRANT ????

alin's Avatar Campidoctor

I see, I have a feeling it's for missile collision as I've seen something weird with a siege model i did where i left the BS the same as the mesh one and projectiles were floating around near the mesh.

Nice stuff, seems you got a lot of detective work on your hands.

Auto-Nabishtam's Avatar Civis

I am not fully test the tools, but why there is no skeleton in meshes that I import, in case if I need to have brand new skin modifier how I can do that.
    Thank you and +rep to the tools