View Poll Results: what editor for modding you prefer?

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • MilkShape 3D

62 45.26%
  • 3dstudio Max

67 48.91%
  • other

12 8.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Mesh/Cas/Engine - MaxScript version of GOAT tool

Default Re: Mesh/Cas - MaxScript version of GOAT tool

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaymo View Post
    For kingdoms, game looks for dds files. it search the file "pathname.dds"
    For example, i did create a settlement model which have /texture/barbarian (it's the pathname) inside .cas, and game search texture/barbarian.dds
    Another model have /texture/roman.tga and the game search /texture/roman.tga.dds
    you must use dds file type. if you rename a tga as tga.dds, you get a ctd.
    I think you are right.
    It seems that .dds be meant on default.

Quote Originally Posted by Axiomatic View Post
    As I understand, some strat models used only .dds and .tga files for texturing.

For example in mod Stainless Steel model middle_eastern_huge_city.cas uses textures (information from file):
    middle_eastern_castle.tga.dds
    middle_eastern_cities.tga.dds

But in folder with textures is only middle_eastern_castle.tga.dds and middle_eastern_cities.tga.

So, game engine used directly .tga and .dds files.
    After conversion middle_eastern_cities.tga to middle_eastern_cities.tga.dds (DDS DXT1 with alpha) situation didn't change.
    Last edited by Axiomatic; February 21, 2011 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnwhile View Post
    nooooooo, the dds NOT WORK IN THE GAME AN ISN'T IN THE FILEPATH NAME !!!!
    in the file you can found these filepath name:
    ...\textures\greek_stone_fort.tga
    ...\textures\greek_stone_castle.tga

If you don't found this file is because they are VANILLA, when you build a mod the game load only Modified files, the non modified file aren't necessary in the mod.
    You must found the textures\greek_stone_fort.tga and textures\greek_stone_castle.tga in vanilla game if there aren't in the mod.

Try change the dds file, run the mod and you will see NO DIFFERENCE.
    I'm sure that these files are not from vanilla, because vanilla used different names (I checked before by unpacking all pack-files).

Hellooo, johnwhile.

This script seems very promising to me as I am adding a bunch of new creature mounts. However, KE's importer/exporter scripts messes up my UV coordinates (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=430401). Hopefully yours can fix this so I can properly UV map my units. I can't get your script to even start up though. I tried putting it in "archives" and "scripts" but when I try to open it in 3dsMax nothing happens, not even an error message. Does it work with both 32 and 64 bit 3dsMax?

+rep for all your work.
    Last edited by alreadyded; March 07, 2011 at 03:45 PM.

alin's Avatar Campidoctor

That's because the game merges the textures in one UVW space i.e. 0..2U 0..1V. So the parts that are for the atachement texture should be shifted on the right part.

Yes because you have to run the script from the utility panel...

Quote Originally Posted by alreadyded View Post
    Hellooo, johnwhile.

This script seems very promising to me as I am adding a bunch of new creature mounts. However, KE's importer/exporter scripts messes up my UV coordinates (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=430401). Hopefully yours can fix this so I can properly UV map my units. I can't get your script to even start up though. I tried putting it in "archives" and "scripts" but when I try to open it in 3dsMax nothing happens, not even an error message. Does it work with both 32 and 64 bit 3dsMax?

+rep for all your work.
    Thanks for +rep.
    In the first message i put some little tutorial screenshot, the tool is a utility-script, you must run like vercintorix's CAS-ImportExport tool.

PS:Now i'm working form building script so I've temporarily paused this script, alin have utilized this script and he can explain more
    Forums:............freeforumzone - mtwitalia - twcenter
    Works:.....worldcollision file - ModelReferencePoints files - MaxScript Building Editor
    Other:.............siege-engine(video) - new-animations(video) - buildings
    Have to take the money where it is: at the poor. They have little, but they are many. Alphonse Allais

Auto-Nabishtam's Avatar Civis

Thank you for this tool I'll give him a try.
    + rep.

thanks, but it is strange that no one is interested to the script ...
    Works:.....worldcollision file - ModelReferencePoints files - MaxScript Building Editor
    Have to take the money where it is: at the poor. They have little, but they are many. Alphonse Allais

My feelings are hurt...

Remlap's Avatar Lag Slayer

Just saw this, great work! I'm assuming this is for newer max versions though. So my 3ds Max 7 will probably spit it back at me.

Quote Originally Posted by Remlap View Post
    Just saw this, great work! I'm assuming this is for newer max versions though. So my 3ds Max 7 will probably spit it back at me.
    THANKS.
    It's probably not compatible with max7 because there are many functions enabled from max8, and other after 9... I can't tested it for max 7, i have max 2011.
    But Max7 is very old now, you can use a full trial version (30 day) by download it from http://usa.autodesk.com/3ds-max/trial/, I can try to downgrade to max7 but i I should check all functions...

I suggest you, if you have the possibility, to use the max 2011 because they've enabled some interesting functions, example if you select more mesh objects you can edit texture map with "UV-Unwrap Modifier" in one-step, in older version you had to do it by apply modifier to each mesh... so you can edit all texture map in the same time and organize them in the texture image.

ps : In my script for world, worldcollision, worldterrain, worldvegetation and worldpathfinding files i use a lot of functions enabled until max9 for obvious reasons of efficiency
    Last edited by johnwhile; March 24, 2011 at 04:49 AM.

jmrc's Avatar Civis

What? This is a fantastic tool! Alin told me about it and now we both use it to produce the models for Europa Barbarorum II, including models with extra bones like the archers and slingers. I haven't got a single crash, which is amazing because I use it a lot.

I look forward for more!

"Death Smiles at Us All,all a Man Can Do Is Smile Back."
    Maximvs Decimvs Meridivs, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, Iberian Gladiator.

AH OK , THANKS. But it's possible some issue with "bone id" especially with the strange extra bone like bone_shield ecc.... i don't know exactly how work, i suspect what you can add some "secondary skeleton", example you can create some custom weapons's skeleton mechanism (arc, musket, etc.. ) and add it independently, without change standard human skeleton. But before complete it i must know where there are issue or bugs.
    Last edited by johnwhile; March 27, 2011 at 10:12 AM.

Will this work for importing a ms3d with a dog skeleton and export to .cas for strat map use?

It's a .mesh importer so why would it import .ms3d format direcly... Use KE's tool to import it and after Verci's Cas importer/exporter or this tool for that.

Fair point, but the crux of my question is will export to .cas with a dog skeleton for a m2 strat model. I don't have 3ds so I would prefer to know before I start trying to pursade people to try and convert it for me...

I see. Well 3ds max is available in a trial license too.

Quote Originally Posted by Eothese View Post
    Fair point, but the crux of my question is will export to .cas with a dog skeleton for a m2 strat model. I don't have 3ds so I would prefer to know before I start trying to pursade people to try and convert it for me...
    If you don't have 3dstudio not worth downloading just for a conversion ; if you choose to download 3dstudio you can export your custom med2 strat model.
    I didn't do many tests but i think it'll work. before any work you must create your custom dog.skelexport file, if you import a dog.mesh from med2 you must do some change before exporting:

1) StartMap model want only one 3d model, not like mesh version
    2) StartMap model want a little comment in the "User Properties", try to import example assassin.cas and his skelexport file
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Code:
    <UseUVW> = true
    <UseColor> = false
    <Type> = 2
    <texture_prop> =  1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
    Attachment 152021

3) StartMap model want a skin modifier, each vertex with only one link to bone (not 2 association like mesh), the vertex have a LOCAL coordinates with linked bones so save you 3d model if you wrong the conversion
    4) StratMap is a old RomeTW version so the texture string are written in the cas file.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

PS: I know, the understanding is not immediate but i prefer working with all options enabled without hide some informations
    Last edited by johnwhile; March 28, 2011 at 03:40 AM.

No problem johnwhile, thanks for the info. + rep
    The model is already set up for use as .cas (strat) in ms3d so it only needs a little work in 3ds. I'm sure someone will be able to do the conversion for me, rarther than I download 3ds again. Last version I had killed my graphics card.

Finlander's Avatar ★Absolutely Fin-bulous★
    Content Emeritus

I just saw this tool, really nice work! +rep

• Son of MasterBigAb; • Father of St. PolycarpeKahvipannuRadboudMhaedrosGeMiNi][SaNDy
    FlinnUndyingNephalimKAM 2150
    Charerg

This is the sort of thing that can be achieved with this tool. It is groundbreaking!

Thank's johnwhile!