Thread: Got Rome Working(finally)

Default Got Rome Working(finally)

So I got it working finally, discovered I had to delete the entire folder after uninstalling or else the fresh install wouldn't work. (Odd)

Uploaded 5.0, and I started playing as my favorite faction, Scipii.
    I like Scipii because you're immediately at odds with the Greeks and the Carthaginians, unlike Julii where you can fortify passes or Brutii where you'e safe on the mainland.

Starting out was difficult, always is and I almost lost Messana.
    Right out of the blue the Greeks attack Messana, where I have a Garrison of my Faction Leader, Aulus Scipio, Three Hastati, Two Triarii, some Archers and some Velites.

A very tough battle, two Spartan units and several hoplite companies later Messana is secure.

Several turns afterwards Aulus leads a patrol near the Greek City and assasinates Dyionnisus of Sparta as he rides in the countryside with his guards.

I form the First Legion, and place it under the command of my Faction Leader at Messana, two years later the Second Legion is Formed of Two Light Battalions, a Skirmisher Battalion, and a Cavalry Squadron.
    (I'm used to Napoleonic Warfare and unfamiliar with Roman terms, to me a Legion in R:TW is equatable to a Regiment)

Light Battalion:
    4 Hastati - 1 Slinger
    Skirmisher Battalion
    4 Velites
    Cavalry Squadron
    4 Equites

My First engagement with the 2nd under Aulus is at Palermo, where Aulus besieges the City and is attacked by a very large Carthaginian force which includes three units of War Elephants, plus the Garrison of the City.

The site of battle was a heavily forested area with a dirt road running through the middle.
    I chose to engage the Carthaginians inside the forest, as this would put them at a greater disadvantage since 2nd Legion was entirely made of light infantry.

The Carthaginians attacked, Aulus in a bid to dare the Carthaginian General into a foolish advance, ordered his personal banner to be raised above the heights of the forest for all to see.
    It worked, the outraged Carthaginian General advanced his army right towards Aulus.
    As they advanced the Elephants began to pull ahead of the infantry line, but the Carthaginian was not about to let his Elephants run into an ambush, so he ordered his light infantry to rush ahead of the massive beasts.

Moments after crossing the road he soon realized his folley, as his light infantry slammed into two hidden battalions of Hastati, who threw their pilums(Correct plural?), and nearly annihilated several companies of Iberans before the Elephants slammed into the line.
    Aulus knew timing was critical to this engagement, if he ordered too soon then the Carthaginian Army would be able to react, but his Battalions were being slaughtered.
    He waited as long as he could, the bulk of the Carthaginian Army was engaged and unable to redeploy.
    The Banner moved swiftly from side to side, and the Skirmish Battalion, combined with the Slingers of the Infantry appeared from their hiding spots and quickly moved behind the Carthaginians Army.
    The Javelins quickly brought many of the Elephants down, and the hurled rocks incapacitated scores of Poeni Infantry.
    As quickly as they attacked they stopped and hid, the Carthaginians Army was in confusion, the General didn't know what was happening, his force had just been decimated from behind, his Elephants were mostly dead and his army was disappearing before the shield wall of the Hastati.
    Things were about to get alot worse for him.
    192 Equites roared in from the flanks, running down the now broken Carthaginian Army. Who ran, regrouped and attacked again, killed over half the Cavalry and finding the hiding spots of the Skirmishers.
    The Hastati quickly moved in and broke them again, but they regrouped and attacked, were driven back and then annihilated.

The price was dear, of 1,501 Men Deployed, Aulus now had 830 Standing. The Carthaginian Army was destroyed to a man, but half his Legion had been destroyed too.
    The care of the wounded would have to be put back too however, as the Garrison from Palermo arrived!
    Aulus quickly rounded up his remaining Cavalry and Infantry, formed them on the road and marched swiftly to crush the Palermo Garrison.
    All told, 1,887 Carthaginians died that day, with some 200 of the Palermo Garrison escaping.

2nd Legion rested to lick their wounds, the Infantry Battalions were battered, 1st Battalion only had 3 Companies, at ~30% Strength average. 2nd. faired better, with three companies at ~80%. The Skirmisher Battalion had lost close to 80 men, the slingers were relatively untouched, but only two Cavalry troops survived the battle.
    Aulus had lost 12 of his personal Guard. And the Balearic Slingers he had hired were now only 30 men strong.

Aulus was prepared to march back to Messana, when a second Carthaginian Army Attacked!
    Numbering close to 2,000 Men, these were the last reserves of Carthage on Sicily, they were immediatley joined by the Palermo Garrison, and swiftly advanced towards the battered Roman Legion.

Aulus breathed a sigh of relief when the scouts reported no Elephants.
    He Arranged his two Infantry Battalions in an L along the road, with the short end facing the enemy at an odd angle. It would appear as though he had miscalculated their approach and pointed his infantry in the wrong direction, the Carthaginians would sweep to Aulus' left and try to outflank them.
    Where they would run into the Skirmisher Battalion supported by the Cavalry and Aulus himself.

The battle was swift, brutal and bloody beyond belief.
    Two Hundred Romans died, mostly from the Skirmisher Battalion but not one Carthaginian lived to tell the tale.
    Aulus rejoiced as he saw the Palermo Garrison's Commander's Corpse, Palermo would have no defenders!
    With his remains 600 men Aulus marched into Palermo, where he rested his legion, and sent for reinforcements.
    The Infantry Battalions were brought back to full strength, as was the Skirmisher, but the Cavalry could not be replaced. With his Father's permission Aulus bought two Mercenary Hoplite Companies and settled to defend Palermo from any attacks.
    A Year later when no Carthaginian Army arose to force him out, Aulus requested a Battalion be sent to garrison whily he continued on to Lilybaeum.

The City fell in siege, as the Assaulted Infantry slaughtered the defenders effortlessly.
    Three hundred Carthaginians and Lilybaeum for the price of two Romans, one killed by a poorly thrown Javelin.

I love SPQR 5.0, why didn't I upgrade from 3.0 Sooner?

Wait till you see 6.0. ;-) It has a garrison script you can use.

On the Names, I would say Cohort would be a good term. Battalions sound so wierd with Roman units. lol Also recommended play is realistic legions later in game, it makes it more challenging. I am surprised you could afford expensive Mercs so early in the game. Glad your having fun, Its good the Empire is in stable hands in your game. :-)
    Lt_1956
    Creator of SPQR:Total War mod since 2004

Livelee's Avatar Laetus

Doesnt it make you feel good LT that your bringin so much fun and happiness to peoples lives
    We'll get the beer safe, then we'll outflank em!!! - Billy Bright

I'd have to agree with Hoffman that the Scipii are a good faction to play as, though I've always had a preference to the Julii. Plus, the Scipii have one of the hardest campaigns in SPQR, having to face Carthage and the Greek Cities right off the bat is comparable in difficulty to what the Julii have to face with the Gauls in the opening stages of the game.

Happy gaming and good luck, you'll be needing lots of it.

Freddie's Avatar The Voice of Reason
    Patrician

At the start of the any game, the Scipii campaign is the hardest option. Carthage already has a massive army in Sicily plus you have the Greeks to deal with. My strategy is general is raise a legion on the very first turn and attack the Carthaginians right of the bat before they can reinforce their position. But really one you have Sicily secure you can breath easy and wait for the reforms.

Savage_Swede's Avatar Carolus Rex

Quote Originally Posted by Livelee
    Doesnt it make you feel good LT that your bringin so much fun and happiness to peoples lives
    And agony....

Sig by Lord Rahl
    Under the patronage of Obi Wan Asterix

Europa Barbarorum, what RTW should have been.

***UPDATE***

2nd Legion upgraded!
    Aulus Scipio has upgraded one of the light infantry ...(looks around swiftly) cohorts... to a Heavy Cohort.
    2nd Legion as of now:

1st Cohort.
    -Hastati
    -Hastati
    -Hastati
    -Hastati

-Principes
    -Principes

-Triarii
    -Triarii

2nd Cohort.
    -Hastati
    -Hastati
    -Hastati
    -Hastati

-Slinger

3rd Cohort (Skirmish)
    -Velites
    -Velites
    -Velites

Cavalry Detatchment
    -Personal Guard of Aulus Scipio
    -Equites
    -Equites
    -Equites

2nd Legion was recently called back to Messana to break a Siege by a combined army of over 6,000 Greeks.
    2,000 Deployed to stop 2nd's advance... the fools.

First Cohort deployed with the Hastati infront, followed by the Principes and Triarii.
    Second Cohort deployed en echelon to First's right.
    The Advance was slow and the Greeks brought plenty of skirmishers, but were skillfully picked away from the main body and destroyed by the Cavalry.
    I'll recreate it in Custom and take some Screens for ya'll.)

1st Quickly turned their flank, and second slowly engaged as their phalanxes swivled to meet the attack.
    The 3rd with the Velites and Slingers moved swiftly to the right flank and threw many a missile in the backs of the Greeks.
    The Cavalry soon returned and quickly crushed the remaining soldiers.

1,976 Greeks Died for the price of 67 Romans.
    The Siege was soon broken and the Greeks retreated back towards Syracusae, where the 2nd followed and in one battle crushed the remaining Greek Armies simultaniously.
    It was glorious, Syracusae and 4,233 Greeks fell that day in a bloody brawl that was won only by the swift action of the Cavalry Commander, who lost his life during the battle, but saved the line and broke the Greeks.
    Only Agrigentum remains untouched by Roman forces.