Thread: New shadow?

Default New shadow?

Hi peeps, have search forums, but cannot find a description about "new shadow" cult in the game. I dont know much about Tolkien's world either, am playing as Dunbar and 1 of my towns is converting to the new shadow cult, cant see what causing it, presume its a character in the area, what to do about it?
    Could do with any info about it plz?

Default Re: New shadow?

Well if you go under settlement info and see the conversion stats it should say what's causing it, ie neighboring regions, monuments, or characters in the region. Adunabar seems to love their spies and they're probably the characters that are causing the conversion if there isn't an army lying in wait.

ok looked further its a "geezer" called Herumour the lord black, an anc that adds 50% cult conversion, do I have to assassinate him? is it possible? or that not "cricket".

Herumor is the 'mind' behind the Shadow Cult, and leaders of Adunabar get him as an ancillary (assuming it doesn't exist anywhere else). You can't really kill him.

Adunabar generally has a strong tendency towards the Shadow Cult, and following a "Men of the West" path is somewhat difficult due to that.

If you are really intent on playing Adunabar as Men of The West, you might do best to put Herumor in one of your least valuable generals and send that general, alone, into a Custer's Last Stand battle.

If you have no enemies to fight, you can commission a small ship, put the general on it, take it out of port and decommission it. This is also an effective way of getting rid of excessive amounts of spies and emissaries.

If it doesn't break you heart to have just one of your territories a cultist one, Herumor is actually one of the more useful/powerful ancillaries in the game, and Adunabar can run either cultist or MoTW converted towns equally well; well cultist ones better; so long as any competing monuments are removed.
    Last edited by Wambat; January 17, 2011 at 10:45 AM.

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

You can't disband ships outside a harbour. At least it never worked for me I think.
    Best thing to do with Herumor: give him to some general, send him into your enemies territory and you'll cause a lot of unrest in his cities.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Quote Originally Posted by Thangaror View Post
    You can't disband ships outside a harbour. At least it never worked for me I think.
    Best thing to do with Herumor: give him to some general, send him into your enemies territory and you'll cause a lot of unrest in his cities.

Right-o Thangaror, it has been a while since I used ships for this purpose. What you need to do, and what I must have done at the time, is to get some enemy ships to destroy your ship holding the unwanted cargo.

Another way of getting rid of unwanted spies, but only spies, unfortunately, is to send your assassins to assassinate your own spies while they are in an enemy city.

As for unwanted ancillaries, you can also put them on your oldest general(s) and wait for them to die of natural causes.

StealthEvo's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Wambat View Post
    Right-o Thangaror, it has been a while since I used ships for this purpose. What you need to do, and what I must have done at the time, is to get some enemy ships to destroy your ship holding the unwanted cargo.

Another way of getting rid of unwanted spies, but only spies, unfortunately, is to send your assassins to assassinate your own spies while they are in an enemy city.

As for unwanted ancillaries, you can also put them on your oldest general(s) and wait for them to die of natural causes.
    That won't work for Herumor, it's an End of Turn trigger and will return to the current faction leader (if they have space)

Revelo's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by StealthEvo View Post
    That won't work for Herumor, it's an End of Turn trigger and will return to the current faction leader (if they have space)

He sounds like the Micheal Myers of FATW. Whatever you try to do to him, he keeps coming back. But I do love how this takes Tolkiens abandoned idea for The New Shadow and expands greatly on it. I pretty much regard this game as a true sequel to LotR and much better then EA's The Battle for Middle-earth games.

I do like how Ancillaries can respawn so to speak, was great when one of my RK generals wound up getting the Palantir of Minas Anor.
    Last edited by Revelo; January 25, 2011 at 09:53 AM.

Hi i was wondering if someone could tell me how to run the mod on vista? im new to modding games and this is my first time, i downloaded and installed both the 1.6 patch and the latest version of the mod but when i start the launch a black box appears for a brief second and dissapears again could somebody please tell me what the problem is? thanks