Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Goths All Factions V2.4 for BI 1.6 Released

Uh oh, I turn off my autosave option, I read somewhere in these forums that autosave if left on can sometimes cause crashes, dunno if its true or not, but his explanation seemed kind of plausible. Something about respawning on the battlemap, uhh i forgot but it sounded kind of credible. But i guess ill turn it on and wait for something to happen aagin
    "Fear is the mind killer" Children of Dune
    Always hope for the best and expect the worst...

I tend to find that RTW and Bi are prone to crashes anyway , especially when well into the game and alot has happened , so i always play with autosave on .

Goth

@Goth

Great mod. Played a city battle last night between the WRE and WRE rebels. I purposefully had my WRE units outnumbered 2:1 to the rebels and the battle must've lasted 45 minutes. Nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterKYA
    @Goth

Great mod. Played a city battle last night between the WRE and WRE rebels. I purposefully had my WRE units outnumbered 2:1 to the rebels and the battle must've lasted 45 minutes. Nice job.
    Thanks Hunter

Goth

Yes, you have managed to create prolongued battles. And I like your way of rising barbarian numbers in order to create more disorder from outside the empire. My problem often is, that the Barbarian Hordes do already settle east of the Rhine river or are easily beaten back by the computer controlling WRE / ERE (I often play Romano-British).

I would like to see a scenario where WRE even under AI control really has to struggle, but I think that is not possible without Scripting?
    (Because it would be impossible to win as a human where the AI would not even show a lightest smile).
    From the pride and arrogance of the Romans nothing is sacred. But the vindictive gods are now at hand. On this spot we must either conquer, or die with glory (Boudiccas Speech, Tacitus, Annals, XIV, 35)

under Patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, Granddaughter of the Black Prince.

I would say that the prolonged battles are down to darth vaders gameplay fix than anything i have done so i cant really take credit for them. As for making wre struggle more the only way to do it is to raise the cost of maintaining units , but unfortunately this makes it very hard for the human player when playing wre (something that has been tried ). What i have tried to do is make the barbarians more powerful and make them horde for longer so they invade deeper into the empire. I am glad you like it

Thanks

Goth

Could one set the hordes a bit closer to the borders of the empire? So that they would actually move into the empire and endanger Rome. I don't know but that could also help for they would perhaps more easily take way towards the Romans.

However, the problem would be that their routes would be much more predictable then.
    From the pride and arrogance of the Romans nothing is sacred. But the vindictive gods are now at hand. On this spot we must either conquer, or die with glory (Boudiccas Speech, Tacitus, Annals, XIV, 35)

That is a very good idea, I have thought about it and might give it a try in the next patch. I could move the vandals to their proper region just east of the alemanni , the ostrogoths just north of thrace and the huns much further west . But it would have to be balanced so the hordes didnt start fighting each other. I think i will give it a go.

Thanks Boudicca

Goth

i was wondering is the map suppose to be much bigger just a ? and also is there a way to give the factions that dont have new skins some skins because the original bi skins are not very good.

Default Hey Goth

i think i have a little problem...ok everything work fine but the time cycle...for example..im in the summer of 525 ad..in the other turn im in the winter 526 ad ...can you help me?

Quote Originally Posted by blitzkrieg56
    i was wondering is the map suppose to be much bigger just a ? and also is there a way to give the factions that dont have new skins some skins because the original bi skins are not very good.
    Yes the old Bi skins can be replaced but we have to wait untill some good ones become available. I am not very good at modelling yetbut am learning with 3ds max so who knows i might be able to skin them myself. But skinning and Modelling takes a long time. All i can say is that they will be done eventually.

Goth

Quote Originally Posted by IaniTo
    i think i have a little problem...ok everything work fine but the time cycle...for example..im in the summer of 525 ad..in the other turn im in the winter 526 ad ...can you help me?
    I have never actually played a game to the year 525 myself so perhaps something is going wrong with the game clock(the game is originally set to end in 480 ad). Can you send me a save game of when this is occuring so i can test it? you can email it to me by clicking on my name and choosing send email

Thanks
    Goth

Quote Originally Posted by Goth
    That is a very good idea, I have thought about it and might give it a try in the next patch. I could move the vandals to their proper region just east of the alemanni , the ostrogoths just north of thrace and the huns much further west . But it would have to be balanced so the hordes didnt start fighting each other. I think i will give it a go.

Thanks Boudicca

Goth
    This would also reduce the buildup time for the Roman Empire. I really think it wouldn't matter that much if the player lost parts of the empire right in the beginning if he is still able to finance a decent army. I have often deliberately withdrawn to Italy during my games with WRE. This - off course - is under the condition that Roman units do not cost too much. Setting the Barbarians closer to the border would furthermore prevent a WRE buildup in the beginning. They would have much less time to produce armies.

Another option to prevent that Roman army fest (I always see WRE getting very huge armies) would be to set building times for "native" Roman troops to two turns. They were rare at the time. So Rome would more have to rely on the Auxiliaries. But that would not please a lot of players who'd rather go for 0 Turn build times.

Slaxx Hatmen's Avatar This isn't the crisis!

Quote Originally Posted by Boudicca
    This would also reduce the buildup time for the Roman Empire. I really think it wouldn't matter that much if the player lost parts of the empire right in the beginning if he is still able to finance a decent army. I have often deliberately withdrawn to Italy during my games with WRE. This - off course - is under the condition that Roman units do not cost too much. Setting the Barbarians closer to the border would furthermore prevent a WRE buildup in the beginning. They would have much less time to produce armies.

Another option to prevent that Roman army fest (I always see WRE getting very huge armies) would be to set building times for "native" Roman troops to two turns. They were rare at the time. So Rome would more have to rely on the Auxiliaries. But that would not please a lot of players who'd rather go for 0 Turn build times.
    Agreed! I want a challenge as WRE darnit! I'm tired of the Barbs just sitting there while I play "Empire at War" with Romans.(if you know what I mean)
    Under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I

Goth i Was wondering is there and expanded map for your game also. like the one in the rtw greek mod. just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Boudicca

These are good ideas, I am going to try and finish the latest patch for sunday and if there is enough support for your ideas bouddica , i am going to include them for it. So get posting everybody and let us know what you think.
    There are two issues to consider , number 1 is moving the vandals ostrogoths huns and slavs closer to the roman border(which i am keen on) and the 2nd is to make roman units need 2 turns to build , personally i like this idea for the more professional roman units but for low quality units i reckon they should be built in a turn.

Thanks
    Goth

Quote Originally Posted by blitzkrieg56
    Goth i Was wondering is there and expanded map for your game also. like the one in the rtw greek mod. just wondering.

Making this mod work with a different map would require a full rewrite of the mod. But i am looking at warmap2(still in developement) which is a huge map. For now i am just going to concentrate on this mod but if time allows i am going to start work on version 3 of this mod with warmap2 in the future. The only problem with this idea is that by that time alot of the really huge BI projects will be done(This all factions mod was only ever intended to help fill the gap between now and when all these mods start to appear), and some great mods are already starting to appear so we will see how things go.

Thanks

Goth

Well Sounds good this mods very good i hope u keep working on it that be sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Goth
    These are good ideas, I am going to try and finish the latest patch for sunday and if there is enough support for your ideas bouddica , i am going to include them for it. So get posting everybody and let us know what you think.
    There are two issues to consider , number 1 is moving the vandals ostrogoths huns and slavs closer to the roman border(which i am keen on) and the 2nd is to make roman units need 2 turns to build , personally i like this idea for the more professional roman units but for low quality units i reckon they should be built in a turn.

Thanks
    Goth
    Exactly my point. Just the "native" roman troops, their legions should take a longer time to be constructed. Leave the Auxiliaries, the Foederati troops at one turn. The alternative to prolonged Roman build times would be 0 turn buildup times for Barbarians but that would not have the same effect as many Barbarians are hordes who don't build up armies at all at the beginning. So time always favours the empire against factions in horde mode.

@Goth: I could also make the mod "as fits". Editing descr_unit.txt is not that difficult. You could make a standard mod version and I could modify those files so that the changes in build times can be applied as the person willing to play the mod pleases. He would just have to overwrite his unit files. We would just post those files within this thread, so everybody can play as he prefers.

That would be good boudicca. I am all for people being able to play the game as they want so i will launch the patch on sunday evening and we can take it from there.

Goth