Thread: About Ballistas and Catapult: very not precise

Default About Ballistas and Catapult: very not precise

Hello,

How come I can't destroy slow moving groups of soldiers with ballistas? It seems that the ballista is always one or two seconds too late to target, and the explosions happens in the rear of the soldier's group, killing only 2 or 3...Sometimes I get lucky, but not much.

Is ballista targeting better with DarthMod and with Broken Crescent 2.02? It's either the ballista aims very precisely, or very loosely..There doens't seem to be a compromise..I tried with different skill levels, and same thing.

As for the catapult, I tried targeting slow moving troops, and it's slightly better because of the higher destruction power,, but still imprecise..In reality, were these war machines really precise, not at all, or somewhere between the two? Did crew skill affect a lot precision?

I remeber in the movie Gladiator, in the beginning scenes: Catapults seemed very very precise..But it was only a movie, true...

Nosjack's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: About Ballistas and Catapult: very not precise

Ballistas were meant to be shot strait towards the enemy, and weren't very accurate. Catapults really couldn't hit anything other than large stone wall.
    So the poor accuracy is realistic.
    TIP: Try to put the catapults/ballistas where they can shoot directly into the enemy, not at an angle. Only target large groups of soldiers with catapults, as they cause much more damage that way.

Try using catapults in RTW, then watch them decimate your own line that's standing right under them.

Silverheart's Avatar Domesticus

Artillery is designed to attack buildings - or other enourmous objects that are standing completely still - and so are not to be relied upon against enemy soldiers, unless used in large numbers.

I can honestly say that I never use Ballistas, because they are definitely the crappiest artillery there is - weak attack, no area damage, low range, not as accurate as one would think and doesn´t reload faster than any other artillery.
    I do have a fancy for catapults, though, because they make up for the lacking accuracy with their area damage, and they are great for putting right behind Cannons or Crossbowmen.
    For sieges however, I prefer Trebuchets or Cannons.
    Heart of silver, Mind of gold
    Fist of iron and Tongue to scold

Proud to be a Viking!

I wish we could see Catapults breaking off by themselves or ballistas exploding or whatever due to misuse..

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

How would ballistas explode? you need gunpowder for that.

If not put together correctly, the stored force could easily send the whole thing flying in pieces.

Bowden's Avatar Ducenarius

Is there any way to "attack ground" in stead of "attack people" or "attack building"?

Unless you want to chase rabbits, I don't see what's the point of "attack ground" you are asking..Or maybe it is to better target troops?

Lennert's Avatar Decanus

What he means is how you could have your artillery fire on the same spot on the battle map continuously. I don't think it's possible in med 2, it would be extremely usefull and more realistic if you could though.. Real artillery always works that way, they fire at a set of coördinates, not some unit somewhere..
    Last edited by Lennert; January 21, 2011 at 04:53 PM.

Bowden's Avatar Ducenarius

I'll have
    Quote Originally Posted by mavyalex View Post
    Unless you want to chase rabbits, I don't see what's the point of "attack ground" you are asking..Or maybe it is to better target troops?
    answered with

this
    Quote Originally Posted by Lennert View Post
    What he means is how could have your artillery fire on the same spot on the battle map continuously. I don't think it's possible in med 2, it would be extremely usefull and more realistic if you could though.. Real artillery always works that way, they fire at a set of coördinates, not some unit somewhere..

John Haukewood's Avatar Tiro

Catapults may not be very accurate, but when they do hit-- they hit. Trebuchets, though seem to hit less and do less damage.
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.
    -H.L. Mencken

Silverheart's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by John Haukewood View Post
    Catapults may not be very accurate, but when they do hit-- they hit. Trebuchets, though seem to hit less and do less damage.
    Unless they´re on the enemys´ side.
    I dread facing trebuchets and catapults in battle, because the AI artillery crews seem to hit more often than not...
    Heart of silver, Mind of gold
    Fist of iron and Tongue to scold

Proud to be a Viking!

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Silverheart View Post
    Unless they´re on the enemys´ side.
    I dread facing trebuchets and catapults in battle, because the AI artillery crews seem to hit more often than not...
    So true.

It's one of the reason i don't like MEdievall II that much, i find the ranged combat is annoying very often. Especially when your archers won't retreat back although you told them a minute ago

The Source's Avatar Senator

so trebuhes vs cataphults, whihc is better

the movie gladiator the arty in that were scorpians they were much more accurite than trebuchets ballistas and cats but the were like archers with spears to bad they arent in medieval 2 they were in rtm
    dan da man wit da plan
    all hail the mighty money cheat

Double A's Avatar person man

Balistae in TATW are pretty accurate... Probably because they're more complex (their altitude can be adjusted).

Serpentines or Basilisks (I can't remember which) are the only really accurate artillery. Most everything else is best used in flat areas... well, Mortars and Trebuchets can shoot over walls. I guess you could stick them at the bottom of a hill.
    Jon had taken Donal and Benjen’s advice to heart: Sam may be fat and pathetic, but he is still a member of the watch, and one of the few black brothers who isn't a rapist or thief. (out of context, this sounds ridiculously racist)
    super awesome music thing | political profile
    GSTK member - Join today! (We're restarting. Again.)

Fireright's Avatar Campidoctor

Sometimes I feel embarrassed and ashamed of myself for having only a ballista in my army as my main siege attack weapon. So much time spent praying and sweating that the feeble ballista will have enough ammo left to knock out castle gates and all that "C'mon let me in yer piece of junk".

The Ballista is nice for destroying enemy artillery during field battles due to its great accuracy against stationary targets.

Also, they are very useful for the infamous 'Side Skewer' technique. If you are under siege, sally out and line some ballistas up so they are parallel with the enemy lines. When they fire, the bolts will go straight down the enemy ranks, racking up hundreds of kills . This is completely exploiting the A.I., but still....

I love skewering the enemy from their sides, but the AI isn't completely at your mercy even in such circumstances. Their cavalry or long ranged missile units still could be triggered to attempt to attack a unit of yours that is out in the open.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireright View Post
    Sometimes I feel embarrassed and ashamed of myself for having only a ballista in my army as my main siege attack weapon. So much time spent praying and sweating that the feeble ballista will have enough ammo left to knock out castle gates and all that "C'mon let me in yer piece of junk".
    You could move them up closer. They're much more accurate then and a single unit can destroy two or more gates that way. I usually use only the ballista when I have desire for siege equipment.
    Last edited by painter; January 22, 2011 at 10:55 PM.

I hate siege battles, unless I'm defending they always bog down into street fighting. Takes forever.