Thread: Please help me add Paved Roads

ErikinWest's Avatar Civitate

Default Please help me add Paved Roads

I wanted to start up a Pontus campaign in EB, and I realized that the faction could not build roads. I also noticed that the Armenians could also not build roads. I would like to know how I can add roads to the factions building list.

Thanks,
    Erik

Music is the pinnacle of civilization and Jazz is the apex.
    Member of S.I.N.
    The means justify the ends. Or better put: the same means will achieve the same ends.
    Under the patronage of Chandrashekar Azad.

Pontus can, not sure about Armenia.

Quote Originally Posted by Pompey the Great
    Pontus can, not sure about Armenia.
    When I load the campaign, paved roads are not on the tech tree.

Erik

Member of S.I.N.
    The means justify the ends. Or better put: the same means will achieve the same ends.

Firstly, you need to use an extractor tool - Vercingetorix's x-pak is highly recommended. There is a link to download the x-pak in this topic. Refer to the attached readme for installation instructions, they're pretty simple.

Additionally, you'll need an piece of software capable of viewing .TGA images. Photoshop & Paint Shop Pro are probably the best, but there is powerful freeware software available, such as The GIMP.

Once everything has been extracted, you have to create a new subfolder in your RTW Data directory called UI. So you should have something similar to the following:-

C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data\UI

Now, the actual extraction folder of the .pak files is present below - this is completely separate to the directory you've just created btw (this is important later on):

C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data\packs\DATA

So as you can see, the extraction has created a new Data folder within the packs folder. Open up the extraction Data folder now and have a look at how all the subfolders are laid out - this again is important later on. The main folder you are interested in (surprise surprise ) is the UI folder. Open this UI folder, and you will see several various subfolders.

As you are after paved roads, you will be interested in both the Roman and Eastern folders. This is because you will be using the Paved Road unit, unit info and construction cards from the Roman folders, and will need to save these copies (renamed of course) into the Eastern folders. However, it is not as simple as it sounds, because you have to save the copied .TGA images into the very first UI folder you created @ C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data\

So, we need to create some additional subfolders in the new UI folder. Create the following folders:-

EASTERN @ C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data\UI

BUILDINGS @ C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data\UI\EASTERN

CONSTRUCTION @ C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data\UI\EASTERN\BUILDINGS

You will be saving your images to these subfolders.

You don't really need to use the image software tbh, but it'll show you what all of the images look like before you save them somewhere else. Using the image software of your choice, open the following extracted images (you may want to do this one at a time):

#ROMAN_PAVED_ROADS.TGA @ C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data\packs\DATA\UI\ROMAN\BUILDINGS

#ROMAN_PAVED_ROADS_CONSTRUCTED.TGA @ C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data\packs\DATA\UI\ROMAN\BUILDINGS

#ROMAN_PAVED_ROADS.TGA @ C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data\packs\DATA\UI\ROMAN\BUILDINGS\CONSTRUCTION

Now, for each of the above images, duplicate each one, and save using the following filenames - these are in the same order as above:

#EASTERN_PAVED_ROADS.TGA @ C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data\UI\EASTERN\BUILDINGS

#EASTERN_PAVED_ROADS_CONSTRUCTED.TGA @ C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data\UI\EASTERN\BUILDINGS

#EASTERN_PAVED_ROADS.TGA @ C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data\UI\EASTERN\BUILDINGS\CONSTRUCTION

Now open RTW and start a new imperial campaign with Pontus / Armenia. Check the building browser list, and your paved roads should be displayed.

[EDIT:]You will also need to update export_buildings @ C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data\text, which is the text file that displays building descriptions. Backup the file if you haven't already. Now open it, hit Ctrl+F to do a search, and type in paved_roads. You'll see that the eastern culture by default displays an error message - simply copy the 2 Roman descriptions and paste them over the eastern error messages. You may need to tweak the descriptions as necessary.
    Last edited by Seasoned Alcoholic; January 19, 2006 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Additional Information Added
    Creator and developer of Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG), an unofficial mod for vanilla RTW v1.5
    For news and updates, check out the RTG Subforums
    RTG v1.0 (Self-Extracting ZIP)
    RTG v1.0 (EXE Installer)
    A veteran FPS & Strategy gamer, currently playing Day of Defeat (DoD) & Football Manager 2007.
    Looking forward to the release of Command & Conquer 3: The Tiberium Wars.

Thanks man!

Erik

Member of S.I.N.