Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Merchants? Diplomats?

Default Merchants? Diplomats?

How exactly do I train merchants and diplomats? I'm playing as Faust, around 50 turns in the game and I have the buildings that would normally train them in vanilla, YET I can't train any diplomats NOR merchants. My poor princess has been sailing across the entire world doing all of their work for me XD
    If yer going to leave some rep be sure to leave your name so I can return the favor
    "I am Andrew Ryan, and I'm here to ask you a question; Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? No! Says the man in Washington, it belongs to the poor. No! Says the man in the Vatican, It belongs to God. No! Says the Man in Moscow, It belongs to everyone. I rejected those answers, instead I choose something different... I chose the impossible... I choose.... Rapture. A city where the artist would not fear the censor, where the scientist would not be bound by petty moralities, where the great would not be constrained by the small. And with the sweat of your brow, Rapture can become your city as well..."
    "A MAN CHOOSES! A SLAVE OBEYS!"
    -Andrew Ryan

Default Re: Merchants? Diplomats?

Pretty sure diplomats can be trained via the town hall buildings; no merchants though. TFON dislikes them.

Weird... still can't train them.... Ah well....

Odd, how come he doesn't like him?
    If yer going to leave some rep be sure to leave your name so I can return the favor
    "I am Andrew Ryan, and I'm here to ask you a question; Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? No! Says the man in Washington, it belongs to the poor. No! Says the man in the Vatican, It belongs to God. No! Says the Man in Moscow, It belongs to everyone. I rejected those answers, instead I choose something different... I chose the impossible... I choose.... Rapture. A city where the artist would not fear the censor, where the scientist would not be bound by petty moralities, where the great would not be constrained by the small. And with the sweat of your brow, Rapture can become your city as well..."
    -Andrew Ryan

TheFirstONeill's Avatar Father of Thera

I never enjoyed using merchants, and they increase the AI turn length and so I cut them out.

Diplomats are recruited from town hall, council chambers, city hall, and mayors palace

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    building city_hall
    {
    levels town_hall council_chambers city_hall mayors_palace
    {
    town_hall city requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, underworld, }
    {
    capability
    {
    agent diplomat 0 requires factions { northern_european, }
    agent diplomat 0 requires factions { middle_eastern, }
    agent diplomat 0 requires factions { eastern_european, }
    agent diplomat 0 requires factions { greek, underworld, }
    agent diplomat 0 requires factions { southern_european, }
    agent spy 0 requires factions { normans, venice,}
    agent spy 0 requires factions { middle_eastern, }
    agent_limit diplomat 1
    agent_limit spy 1
    law_bonus bonus 1
    population_health_bonus bonus 1
    }
    material wooden
    construction 2
    cost 600
    settlement_min city
    upgrades
    {
    council_chambers
    }
    }
    council_chambers city requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, underworld, }
    {
    capability
    {
    agent assassin 0 requires factions { normans, venice,}
    agent assassin 0 requires factions { middle_eastern, }
    recruit_pool "Swiss Guard" 1 0.2 4 0 requires factions { spain, hre, }
    agent_limit diplomat 1
    agent_limit spy 1
    agent_limit assassin 1
    law_bonus bonus 2
    population_health_bonus bonus 2
    }
    material wooden
    construction 5
    cost 1200
    settlement_min city
    upgrades
    {
    city_hall
    }
    }
    city_hall city requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, underworld, }
    {
    capability
    {
    recruit_pool "Swiss Guard" 1 0.2 2 1 requires factions { spain, hre, }
    recruit_pool "Forlorn Hope" 1 0.2 2 1 requires factions { sicily, spain, hre, }
    recruit_pool "Janissary Infantry" 1 0.3 3 0 requires factions { turks, }
    agent_limit diplomat 1
    agent_limit spy 1
    agent_limit assassin 1
    law_bonus bonus 3
    population_health_bonus bonus 4
    }
    material wooden
    construction 8
    cost 2400
    settlement_min large_city
    upgrades
    {
    mayors_palace
    }
    }
    mayors_palace city requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, underworld, }
    {
    capability
    {
    recruit_pool "Forlorn Hope" 1 0.3 3 1 requires factions { sicily, }
    recruit_pool "Forlorn Hope" 1 0.3 3 1 requires factions { hre, spain, }
    recruit_pool "Swiss Guard" 1 0.3 3 1 requires factions { hre, spain, }
    recruit_pool "Janissary Infantry" 1 0.3 3 0 requires factions { turks, }
    recruit_pool "Janissary Heavy Inf" 1 0.3 3 0 requires factions { turks, }
    agent_limit diplomat 1
    agent_limit spy 1
    agent_limit assassin 1
    law_bonus bonus 4
    population_health_bonus bonus 5
    }
    material wooden
    construction 10
    cost 4800
    settlement_min huge_city
    upgrades
    {
    }
    }
    }
    plugins
    {
    }
    }
    Last edited by TheFirstONeill; January 14, 2011 at 12:54 PM.

House of Wilpuri :By the Patronage of Elrond: Patron of Caki : Aduellist : Borissomeone
    Proud Creator of Thera, Legacy of the Great Torment: Opifex :

Daraunon's Avatar Senator

I agree,merchants IMHO are just a pain. I never had problems training diplomats,maybe that's a problem on your part?

Blurg. Started a new game it worked fine. Peculiar...
    -Andrew Ryan

I disagree with many of you above. I love merchants and they are a vaulable commodity to my financial success. Also they are a great way for your assassins to get better. Bring back merchants and make the resources more valuable!!!!

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNice808 View Post
    I disagree with many of you above. I love merchants and they are a vaulable commodity to my financial success. Also they are a great way for your assassins to get better. Bring back merchants and make the resources more valuable!!!!
    I don't think that TFON will listen to demands, mate. Maybe try explaining your case very thoroughly and ask if he will consider.

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiðinn Veðr: Total War

Well merchants are out of the mod because TFON doesn't like them IIRC,and I'm sure that's related to longer AI turn times,so I'd leave them out anyway. Resource trading has a part in your economy nonetheless:you can have more resources in a region developing trading buildings,and you can check the amount of trade from and to a settlement from its details panel.

Massive_attack's Avatar Campidoctor
    Citizen

i recently developed a merchant inclination myself, from playing bellum crucis 5.1 (i dont play 6 because to my knowledge its still all in italian, and i hate that, but anyway...) the reason being that that mods merchants: A) had no upkeep costs (nonsensical for you to have to pay them to generate money, in reality they would just keep a small percentage of profits) B) VERY wealthy resources. Most poor ones generate around 200 florins, the truly great ones, with high level merchants, can net around 1000 florins per turn. It really makes you take interest in mercantile trade, especially making sure to pay attention to enemy merchants out to take those rich areas away !

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Storm View Post
    I don't think that TFON will listen to demands, mate. Maybe try explaining your case very thoroughly and ask if he will consider.
    It wasnt a demand but more like a plea...lol...I just love that aspect of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNice808 View Post
    People complain there is too much money in the game as it is, there will be no merchants in V4

House of Wilpuri :By the Patronage of Elrond: Patron of Caki : Aduellist : Borissomeone

Quote Originally Posted by Massive_attack View Post
    i recently developed a merchant inclination myself, from playing bellum crucis 5.1 (i dont play 6 because to my knowledge its still all in italian, and i hate that, but anyway...) the reason being that that mods merchants: A) had no upkeep costs (nonsensical for you to have to pay them to generate money, in reality they would just keep a small percentage of profits) B) VERY wealthy resources. Most poor ones generate around 200 florins, the truly great ones, with high level merchants, can net around 1000 florins per turn. It really makes you take interest in mercantile trade, especially making sure to pay attention to enemy merchants out to take those rich areas away !
    Bellum Crucis caught my attention some time ago,but I too had doubts for that "italian factor"...is it worth playing?

I'm actually surprised that you hate italian:granted,it's not an easy language,but it can give some satisfaction when you get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFirstONeill View Post
    People complain there is too much money in the game as it is, there will be no merchants in V4
    Wow-really...you would never hear that from me.....what will be different about V4????

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Daraunon View Post
    Bellum Crucis caught my attention some time ago,but I too had doubts for that "italian factor"...is it worth playing?

I'm actually surprised that you hate italian:granted,it's not an easy language,but it can give some satisfaction when you get it right.
    "hate" is too strong a word, but when you care about history, video games, and generally "what stuff means", when a game's text is all in what might as well be moonspeak, it becomes frustrating. Id take the same stance if it was all in hungarian russian or japanese, as a people i like italians- they make most of my favorite foods !

But yeah, fun mod if you get the english translation for 5.1 (the mod thread is here on twc, look in the released medieval 2 mods subforum, the translation is in there too). Likes to handicap the player though, which i hate. A few bits of the campaing script got snipped out... somehow , anyway, this is all off topic.

On topic: Since TFON has said repeatedly "no merchants" this thread serves little purpose. Might as well get closed, really.

Thanks for the explanation,I'll give it a try some day...

I agree with this thread being closed:there are no problems with diplomats and the merchant won't be in the mod,so this is just pointless now.

People will keep asking the question, so they have this thread to do so. If I close they will just start another. Ifs useful to keep all my refusals in one place

Oh,I thought they were all in the "New faction's ideas" thread.

Don't mind me,just joking...

Citizen

TFON, you should make some kind of sticky, maybe call it "the Great list of Torment" or something that has all the various questions and ideas you have disagreed with. I havent even been here that long and my personal mental list is vast.

I for one fully support the lack of merchants. Having to micromanage those guys was irritating and the income they generated was pathetic for all the busywork they demanded. Plus the fact that my merchants would ALWAYS get pounced on by the buffed-up AI merchants, the whole system was simply infuriating. I'm glad they are gone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast