Thread: HHB RGS (Reduced Garrison Script)

Nefarious's Avatar Tiro

Default HHB RGS (Reduced Garrison Script)

HHB RGS (Reduced Garrison Script)

After many threads and queries about the garrison script, the No Garrison script was released some time ago. This seemed to appease many players whilst others stayed with the original. Still others, myself included, considered the possibility of a happy medium. A garrison script, just not so robust.
    Well, here is an alternative. As with Goldilocks and the 3 Bears, some found the original script too hot. Others now find the No Garrison alternative too cold. RGS should be just right.

What's changed?

1. Removed all archer and cavalry units, leaving only infantry as garrison bolsters.
    2. These infantry units were then slightly reduced in quantity. Still an effective bolster, just not a horde.

Result:
    Let's imagine that a detachment of DFK's and their supporting Spearmen are on leave, relaxing at the local tavern and brothel.
    Your forces arrive, lay siege, and these visiting troops are now cut off from their field commander.
    Caught with their pants down ,they buckle up and join the fray. Their presence rallies a few additional townsfolk.
    Alright, then.
    I'll buy that.

Example of the changes?

London with original Garrison Script:

create_unit London, Armored Swordsmen, num 3, exp 1, arm 1, wep 0
    create_unit London, Spear Militia, num 5, exp 1, arm 1, wep 0
    create_unit London, Feudal Knights, num 1, exp 0, arm 1, wep 0
    create_unit London, Longbowmen, num 3, exp 0, arm 1, wep 0
    create_unit London, Town Militia, num 2, exp 0, arm 1, wep 0
    London with RGS:
    create_unit London, Armored Swordsmen, num 1, exp 1, arm 1, wep 0
    create_unit London, Spear Militia, num 2, exp 1, arm 1, wep 0
    create_unit London, Town Militia, num 2, exp 0, arm 1, wep 0

As you can see, archers and cavalry are removed whilst the remaining infantry are slightly reduced in number of units.
    In this example there will still be a bolster of five units to the garrison already present, just not something resembling a field army.
    Remember that point: These additional forces are supposed to resemble a bolster, not a siege-lifting army.
    All my tests have shown these garrisons to still be challenging, just not hair-pulling events.

I hope this proves useful for those seeking a happy medium.
    Installation/Uninstall instructions included.
    Enjoy.
    -Nef
    Last edited by Nefarious; January 13, 2011 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Corrected typo in readme
    Every time I venture from New Orleans,
    I get the sensation of leaving Oz and landing on Kansas.

-------
    You want to know what? Really?? My political profile? Are you sure? Alright, then...

Stylix's Avatar MOS Team Member

Default Re: HHB RGS (Reduced Garrison Script)

@Nefarious,

Looks very interesting and should offer many a good alternative to the two extremes that you mentioned. I have a question about your install instructions though. In them you mention backing up, replacing and restoring the campaign_descr.txt file. Don't you mean campaign_script.txt file (the one included in the rar file)?
    MOS v1.6.2+ Bug fixer 30 Dec 2013

Nefarious's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Stylix View Post
    <snip>
    I have a question about your install instructions though. In them you mention backing up, replacing and restoring the campaign_descr.txt file. Don't you mean campaign_script.txt file (the one included in the rar file)?
    Thank you for bringing this to my attention, Stylix.
    Corrected and updated the Readme file.
    Every time I venture from New Orleans,
    I get the sensation of leaving Oz and landing on Kansas.

-------
    You want to know what? Really?? My political profile? Are you sure? Alright, then...

Nice work and plus rep from me always good to see more options to play the way you want to

Edit darn already repped you need to spread the love dont worry ill throw you a rep in the next couple days..

Heroes Hordes & beyond The official submod of KGCM (click the sig)

Does this work with vanilla KGCM?

I realize I'm being somewhat of a necromancer here, but some people still play this game believe it or not (like the good people at Broken Crescent ^^ ). I'm going to give this submod a try, since I cannot find a no garrison submod and the search tool for subforums seems to be broken on this new setup TWC has. I searched garrison in this subforum, and no results, even though this thread has GARRISON all over the bloody place!!! Anyways, this, plus the Byzantine unit roster, should make KGCM good enough for me. ^^ Nefarious, you're a good man for making this. + rep if they still have the option to do that.

Nope, they don't... Doesn't look like they even have an edit post option. Or I'm just really, really not used to the new setup.

hi to all, i have installed this file for the garrison scripts and it works, but there is a problem now i can t build Church and Others structures (like balista Towers),there are some solution?thanks

simbow's Avatar Foederatus

Does anyone know why when i build a fort (castle)with a General, it doesnt disappear after its not been in use as its empty? Remember like the old wooden forts...? I'd prefer if it disappeared when not in use!

Does anyone know why when i build a fort (castle)with a General, it doesnt disappear after its not been in use as its empty? Remember like the old wooden forts...? I'd prefer if it disappeared when not in use!

Vipman's Avatar Protector Domesticus

What does your problem have to do with this thread??

In KGCM 4.3 forts are permanent. To change it open descr_campaign_db.xml from KGCM/data folder with notepad or notepad++, find this line <destroy_empty_forts bool="false"/> and change false to true

Quote Originally Posted by Giumbix View Post
    What does your problem have to do with this thread??

In KGCM 4.3 forts are permanent. To change it open descr_campaign_db.xml from KGCM/data folder with notepad or notepad++, find this line <destroy_empty_forts bool="false"/> and change false to true
    Nothing by the sounds of it! Im new to all this forum stuff so please forgive and forget. But thanks for your reply as it works.

the Leper King's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by prima legio View Post
    hi to all, i have installed this file for the garrison scripts and it works, but there is a problem now i can t build Church and Others structures (like balista Towers),there are some solution?thanks
    I had the same problem as well. I could no longer build ports, castle barracks, and archery ranges past level 2 :/ This is a great idea for a sub mod though, if it can be fixed. I'm not a big fan of the huge garrison script in the vanilla KGCM.

Hi everyone i think this is a great submod but i cant finde download link. Please give me download link of this mod