Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: musket lethality issue...

Prince of Essling's Avatar Napoleonic Enthusiast
    Patrician

Default Re: musket lethality issue...

Quote Originally Posted by FilipVonZietek View Post
    Btw at Alubera avarge kill rate was 1 casulty per 400 shots (british sources) and they exchanged fire at medium range. Btw people forget about smoke after a while you couldntl iterally see anything, gl hitting something.
    Hughes book is based on an analysis of the British data!
    Sign DLC petition for improved map for NTW
    Useful Websites |Napoleon: Masters of Europe |
    The Wardrobe of 1805 |Napoleon: Art of War|
    Frederick the Great: Art of War|
    Under the Patronage of Gunny
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Quote Originally Posted by ♔EmperorBatman999♔ View Post
    So what you're telling me is that is done only in the movies?
    No, its just that - as Soult argues - (+ Rep to him for the research, wouldn't mind some sources though) for two ranks to fire there was no need for crouching, but if all three were firing, then it would be necessary to avoid friendly fire.

Under the patronage of the formidable and lovely Narf.

Proud patron of Derpy Hooves, Audacia, Lordsith, Frodo45127 and Sir Adrian.

The french 3-rank mass fire was in the "Réglement" of 1791 (that was only a slightly revised copy of the regulations that followed the Seven years war in 1770). Austrian 1769 regulation (the one that covered the ROW era) prescribed the same method. About the Austrian use of the third rank for skirmishing, it was a widespread practice since the start of the revolutionary wars, but it was officially included only in the 1807 regulation. The "Fire by rank" was in fact utilised to repel cavalry, either when infantry platoons are forming a line or were part of a square, this type of fire the second and the third rank fired alternately, and the first rank (kneeling) only pointed their bayonets outwards, and were ordered to fire only if enemy cavalrymen came too close. This was in the French 1791 reglement, the austrian ones never included that type of fire. I only re-enact as austrian and french, so i know little about other armies drills.

Thanks for the rep
    soult
    "What is difficult in training will become easy in a battle" Alexander V. Suvorov

is this mod possible to play without that fps killing excessive smoke that's in NOW? I also think that the musket lethality in NOW (I don't know about this) needs to be toned up because a massive volley at like 20 feet kills like 2 guys.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123