Page 101 of 115 FirstFirst ... 5176919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 2297

Thread: Stainless Steel 6.4 Released!

Default Re: Stainless Steel 6.4 Released!

Help needed for SS6.4 install.

Played SS6.1 years ago and loved it...as Deus Lo Vult6.2 is just impossibly buggy. PDER1.0 was OK but lacked SS6.1's features and depth.
    D/L'd SS6.4 last night from Filefront...but it ctd's on startup.

Used the JoinerHelper utility to create the .bin files. Then used 6.4.exe to install the game in my M2TW mods folder. Have Kingdoms patched to v1.5; Win7 with UAC disabled. Selected Late Campaign with SavageAI and BygGrym2...and it ctd's during the SS6.4 loading screen...

Have other M2TW Kingdoms mods installed and functional...so it must be something with my install of SS. Perhaps I should find if the older 6.3 installer is around, use it, and then install 6.4?
    Anybody got any ideas?
    Any help most appreciated.
    edit: have Steam on this machine; but my M2TW version is not Steam.

Have multiple functioning installations of other TW games on this rig, incl. Rome2, Shogun2, & RTW. I've been playing TW games since the original ShogunTW, and love 'em!
    Last edited by Hieronymos; September 11, 2014 at 07:53 PM.

the problem is that you installed the ss6.4. taht is just an update, you still need ss 6.3 before that, then you download the update 6.4.

after that you might want to take a look at bugfixes from Meeelo, or other submods.

Meeelo's bugfix compilation: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post13723098
    (all his personal submods are compatible)

Thx LusitanPlayer.
    Installed 6.3 then 6.4 --both stable.
    FYI 6.3.exe not included on Filefront d/l list..and instructions say to use only 6.4.exe

Just d/l'd Meelo's bugfixes.

BTW, what submods do you currently favor?

Well all you have to do is download 6.3 installer then 6.4 patch
    Meeelo's bugfixes are great, great indeed, really fast turns.
    he has some submods:
    Viva La Rebellion!|Regional Knight Orders|Kingdoms, Empires and Republics
    Courtesan Ladies Redux(RLC update)|Next Heir Ancillary(update)

i use: Viva la Rebellion, Regional Knight orders and NExt Heir ancillary.
    but all of those are his, should be full compatible, if you want other submods, you need a clean version of SS. Not sure if you will need to uninstall/reinstall for that.

there are Meneth Submods, Titanium, etc...

What do you think of Titanium?

.........edit:
    Applied Meelo's bugfix + his Regional Knight Orders; looks very good so far.

Titanium is being under work and looks very very promising.

I have several problems of crash and lag in the battle on the campaign, but not in th costum battle, this is strange.
    It 's almost unplayable for me.
    sorry for my english

Civis

Never seen the teutonic fix before do i need it or is it just extra?

i want to apply teutonic fix but i dont know what "RR" is. because of that i couldnt choose which file to apply.

Domesticus
    Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Ogodei Khan
    I have several problems of crash and lag in the battle on the campaign, but not in th costum battle, this is strange.
    It 's almost unplayable for me.
    sorry for my english
    You should post the log that is in the SS main folder. I can't remember its name, sorry for that - it's been quite a while since I last played M2TW. Anyhow, that log may help find the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by sickNsane
    Never seen the teutonic fix before do i need it or is it just extra?
    I think that is a fix that is supposed to prevent Teutonic Order related crashes (those are fairly common in this mod). I got one back in the day, and my solution was to destroy the whole TO faction via the console. It wasn't as fun playing with one faction less in the game but at least that worked. Either way, you should definitely download a fix if one is available.
    Quote Originally Posted by wassermann
    i want to apply teutonic fix but i dont know what "RR" is. because of that i couldnt choose which file to apply.
    RR is short for Real Recruitment, the submod by Point Blank. If you already started a campaign and don't want to start over, just keep on playing and destroy the Teutonic Order if a crash occurs. That should work.

Hi, I just recently discovered stainless steel after playing darthmod for many years.
    First I'd like to say that it's a truely beautifull mod. But I have a problem.

I have been able to start it all up no problem even with the new updates in steam. However when I start my campaign and start my first battle it crashes every time.

I am playing as Hungary and my first battle is against the rebels.
    I have started a new campaign and tried there and I also crashed when I fought the rebels the first time.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks in advance.

Foederatus

Did you installed all 4 Kingdoms expansions? If yes and it still doesn't work, then check, if you have version 6.4 and not 6.3, because 6.3 is in my opinion unstable. If you have version 6.4 and still crashes, then reinstall the mod, otherwise I son't know.

I tried using the torrents and there are no seeds or the tracker itself isn't working. Must I go through the manual file upload?

EDIT: Don't worry, I tried again and now it's working.
    Last edited by HighLord z0b; November 24, 2014 at 04:27 AM.

Decanus

Am I the only one who can't even run the setup because of corrupted files?
    Trust me, I'm really frustrated. In these three days I haven't yet managed to run its setup. I'm asking for help on this forum right at every corner, yet not even a working downlaod link has came out.
    What should I do? I'm so frustrated I'm downloading 6.0 just to play a version of this mod. I never played it, and I was so curious about it...I'm about to give up.

Hey Roman Heritage. what exactly is it telling you?

So im playing a VH/VH campaign. BGRIV, Real recruitment, Longer Assimilation, NO Permanent watchtowers, Permanent arrows, GRACUL AI. So everything is on the most difficult possible settings. I even picked Scotland.

I have to admit i am the micromanaging type. I make sure everything is squeezed out of a turn before i hit the next turn button. But im sure im not alone on this.
    So England was gone by turn 8. They did manage to take back Nottingham and Caernarvon while i was taking Caen and Paris, but their capital Paris still fell and they were destroyed without issue.
    By turn 15 most of France was mine. What? They have one city standing with 3 stacks next to it doing absolutely nothing. Broke as a joke. Im not going to destroy them just yet.
    Fast forward to turn 90 and i am making 20k per turn profit and have 8 stacks of milita mixed in with one or two mailed knights and foot knights mixed in (real recruitment is good). Most of Norway and Denmark is mine and some of Venice. Aragon and Leon is gone.

Why is this so easy? The funnest part was in the very beggining when England had triple the army of mine and i had to fight smart. They could of destroyed me if they wanted to. This Gracul Ai after all!
    The seige Ai sucks ass. The battle Ai is decent. BGRIV is not difficult just a lot more annoying. Real recruitment is a step in the right direction, even though fighting with milita for 100 turns is annoying. As is the "best troops only in Citadels" bit has its flaws. As Citadels are nearly impossible to get, possible but not realistic. You need a 10 star Chivalry general with several traits in public order. Why would you leave a 10 star general in a city when there is fighting to be done? Not to mention its a lot more difficult to get Chivalry or Command stars in SS6.4.
    In the end if it all, i want to be scared for my life as i see 2-3 stack armies heading for my capital. Then have to fight the full stack garrison to get the city back, not wait 5 turns and take it back with 3 militas inside. Not only their capital should be with a full garrison.
    I don't want to be able to take their cities so easily, and them only attack with a few more troops than necessary. Schiltrom at the town square and you can win double the unit enemy has.
    Sigh* Im not even going to start on Rome 2.
    Deeply saddened by this.

For TW Modders:

Please include extensive documentation of EVERYTHING you do.

Why?

There is documentation of vanilla, and players are going to read vanilla documentation first, so there is an expectation of how things will work.

For instance, I started my first 6.4 campaign a few days ago, after playing 6.3 a year or two ago.

As England, started spamming longbows in Nottingham to acquire better archer stats.

Lo and behold, turn 150+ and still just a low-level 'Woodsmen's Guild'.

What gives? Obviously changed in some way, only known to the people who changed it and the people who care to unpack stuff.

So, I turn to documentation and all I get is "The guild system has been completely overhauled".

That's it?

Just say its overhauled but don't document what exactly has changed?

I also had to dig deep in the forums to realize that Orderly guilds are no longer guilds as such, but location/time specific buildings.

Cliffs:

The documentation and change log sucks ass.

Modders, please document everything you change, as there is already documentation of previous configuration out there and if there is no documentation of change, people do not expect it to be different.

On to another issue ...

I appreciate some difficulty increases, however I don't like to mathematically constrained for no good reason. For instance, this population growth in 6.4, I can feel this constraints when population gets to 95% of necessary for next settlement. Fortress has 21500 of 22500 necessary, magic 95% and doesn't increase. It feels fake.

Also, historic-based forcing.

If I want to have an alliance with a certain faction, I don't want the developer reaching over my shoulder and saying "Ahh but in history there was no alliance so we are going to increase the aggression and poor-relations variables to prevent you from changing that..."

Again, when things like that occur I can feel the walls of the simulation, and that is not IMO good from a game development standpoint. I don't like to feel there is some algorithm manipulating my inputs for 'historic' smoothing.

This post is not really for the SS team, but for modders in general.

I do some development in a MP game (50 slot servers), and I have the luxury of being able to see how my developments affect the players in real-time. Players are very sensitive to this nudging and dislike it greatly. Whether or not they are actually in control of their game, they want to FEEL like they are in control, and IMO it's important for game developers to address this. A common mis-step is to put in a feature, let them get used to it, and then remove/gimp it for balancing reasons. The balancing reason may have been the correct one, but the act of arbitrary (to the player) gimping of their control, has serious negative impact.

With respect to SS, I think it took a step backward from 6.3 to 6.4 with some arbitrary variable/algo adjustments and constraints. IE, regardless if I'm player, 4 AI factions should not be randomly declaring war on me in first 6 turns simply because "to make the game harder". That is lazy and again feels arbitrary.

I don't know how the scripts work in TW games, but I think buffing the difficulty in other ways (boosting enemy quantity/skill/strength) is a less noticeable and thus better decision for Player VS AI scenarios.

Without lifting the skirt on M2TW to see how things run, I think the best things to work on is building config resources (accrued by a human mind) for the AI to make use of in campaign-map behavior is a good way forward. Go through all the regions in your campaign map and find the strategic positions (ie bridges), and then use those positions as a probability-based default for where the AI will try to move/seize/hold in the region.

Spawning large, mid-strength stacks far from the player faction (if feasible) and then attacking nearest player stacks or settlements may also lead to some fun. Nothing says "this is fake" like a big stack spawning in LOS and attacking me, so it has to come from reasonably far away (a few turns), and I don't want it to decide not to attack because I'm ready. I want some payoff!

I have noticed enemy choosing not to attack when I am well fortified position. This is good and bad. Unfortunately I think the good is weighed down because the AI does not maintain tension but commits the stack elsewhere instead. If the AI wants my position, marches toward it, I fortify the position, I don't want the enemy stack to just go home. I want it to either attack anyways, or pick a position nearby to sit to maintain tension, while more stacks come until its sufficient to attack in force.

I want to see the AI attacking heavily defended settlements or maintaining a close standoff to bait me into attacking, not wandering away because my position is too well defended.

--

I think the battles are good, certainly a lot simpler for the AI to manage.

A long rambling post, hopefully it doesn't come across as whining but constructive instead.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Heritage View Post
    Am I the only one who can't even run the setup because of corrupted files?
    Trust me, I'm really frustrated. In these three days I haven't yet managed to run its setup. I'm asking for help on this forum right at every corner, yet not even a working downlaod link has came out.
    What should I do? I'm so frustrated I'm downloading 6.0 just to play a version of this mod. I never played it, and I was so curious about it...I'm about to give up.
    Have you tried following this guide?

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...with-Pictures)

Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Deteriorate View Post
    Have you tried following this guide?

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...with-Pictures)
    Yes, I tried, my problem is in the setup itself. There's nothing I can do if each file the setup needs is corrupted and it leaves me with only "retry, abort or ignore" options.
    Plus, Local Moderator downloaded the same files that I did, and it seem to work for me. This is driving me mad.
    I have both UAC disabled and Medieval in C:\Games. So, is there any other thing that it could be apart from corrupted files?...

Edit: problem solved. Apologies for multi-posting, btw, thanks to the modders for this beauty **
    Last edited by Roman Heritage; December 07, 2014 at 01:56 PM.