Thread: Game CTD after loading some battles (high end PC)

Default Game CTD after loading some battles (high end PC)

As the title says, I have a high end PC. I have installed SS4 with Meloo bugfix (1.27).

However, when I tried some quick battles, I noticed that in some cases, when the battle was loaded, the game crashed unexpectedly to desktop with the message that it had crashed.

Also, when in large scale battles (like when a huge castle was across my army and I had to siege it) FPS were lowered to the amazing number of 2-3!!!! Game was nearly frozen, it moved with difficulty and then it crashed.

I don't know why this is happening, if anyone has an idea please help. My PC is a monstrous one with Ryzen 5950X and an RX 6900 XT.

So far, I have made the following attemps to fix it

1) I read in forums that a 4GB patcher may be needed, so I downloaded and installed it in ALL executable files (both medieval.exe, kingdoms.exe and ss4_launcher)

after that, I tried to load some quick battles, but it crashed again...

2) I right clicked the applications (all the referred above) and changed their compatibility to Windows XP service pack 3.0

after this I tried to load some quicvk battles again, it loaded a big siege to a large castle and it didn't seem to crash... May this is the case? I don't know

Any help is apreciated. Thank you for your time and co-operation in advance

Default Re: Game CTD after loading some battles (high end PC)

UPDATE, It did it again in a large siege battle. When battle starts, AFTER I PRESS THE DEPLOYMENT BUTTON, it CTDs with a message with yellow exclamation mark.

I really don't know what's the case.

If anyone knows how to start siege battles by myself, (as to test it faster), it would be very helpful.

UPDATE 2

I checked the system log folder and it has something to do with
    g5script2.txt (Germanicu5 Reallybad AI mod), which is inside SS folder. When it checks some of its files, it gives the unspecified error, even though I am not using it in stainless steel setup.

I removed it, tried 2-3 sieges and they worked normally.

Perhaps this is problematic???

UPDATE 2

Noticed the system log file and the unspecified error took place when the game launched files from the '' g5script2.txt'' file. Which refers to Germanicu5 Really Bad AI mod. Even though I AM NOT USING IT VIA SS SETUP!
    When I removed it, I didn't notice any CTD at least as of now...

Does anyone know if it creates such problems, especially when you have the complete game (Medieval + Kingdoms) on steam?????

You're not alone. SS still regularly crashes for me when I try to play at large scales. I'm afraid I can't help you, except to explain that while your PC may be powerful, that is not the only factor. Medieval 2 is an old game, which was optimized to run on older hardware and operating systems. Unfortunately, this can cause some old games to perform worse today than they did back then! If you've tried the Large Address Aware fix, the only other options I know of are to lower the unit scale, the graphics, or the resolution. It's a real shame, but Medieval 2 wasn't the most ambitious game engine when it came out, and Stainless Steel has pushed it to breaking point.

Something like 6 years ago I found out about Stainless Steel and tried playing it with my setup up at the time. CTDs were far too common to tolerate. Asked my brother for his 2008 laptop to see if it worked and sure enough to this day I still have his laptop too play some SS every couple of years. As @Dauntless07 said you can't expect M2TW SS to run on modern PCs. I recently upgraded my PC, installed windows 11, tried again, and it's even worse. CTDs and freezes happen every 10 minutes or so. So yeah, right now I'm playing SS on a 2022 43" 4K monitor but the computer still is my brother's laptop. Of course I'm playing it in 1600x900 resolution but who cares. It works.

It's pretty much a feature of SS, unfortunately. The Meloo fix IME greatly reduces the number of crashes you'll experience, but also IME, there's still a 95% chance of CTD whenever I win an epic/huge/you-should-not-have-won-that battle.