Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Defence a little too OP??

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Defence a little too OP??

I play on H/M. Not only because the battles are too hard, I just like auto resolve to be balanced when I cba with battles but still want to build my empire. I only play the fun or important battles. Playing as carthage H/H i could'nt trust even hannibal to win with good odds for him on auto resolve. Didn't notice a massive amount of differrence in the battles I played. I routed the enemy with missiles and cavalry before they inflicted massive amounts of damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperator_OfRome View Post
    Everything i wrote about in that list was to help YOU who after all, came and wrote this post looking for an explanation to why you were unable to use the roman factions efficiently because of high defence values. If you look back on my previous post i don't think you'll find that i was making you seem like and idiot or patronizing you in any way.

These two points contradict each other.
    How do they contradict each other?? And sorry for earlier btw, some stuff I was modding got wiped off my computer so sorry I didn't reply in a very nice way I know you were only trying to help.

The Romans have almost the best discipline and morale in the game (except for maybe Spartans) and almost never run if used [U]correctly[U]
    And you shouldn't be so quick to judge a campaign that you have literally just started.
    Then you know why I was amazed to see them rout. It was like a wave all the way down my army, I don't know what I did wrong there it was flat ground and they were fighting in a thick line. However they were Allied Cohorts so they would have a small morale difference I guess.
    I know I shouldn't judge it so quick but I retried the hannibal battle so many times with different tactics and formations...then someone said you are meant to lose it

Yes well allied cohorts are pretty sub standard in roman terms

And your wright, you are meant to lose against Hannibal or at best get a Pyrrhic victory so he is able to continue causing mayhem for as long as possible. I remember when i first battled him i actually won, but Ive never actually been able to do it since

Just hang in there and you will be used to the defence values in a couple of days.
    Aulus Petillius Vespasianus: Patrician, Senator, Age 32

chris10's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Uxbridge View Post
    I retried the hannibal battle so many times with different tactics and formations...then someone said you are meant to lose it
    exactly...
    first thing you need to do is put the large foundy in construction queue in Rom and dont move your army next to Hannibal...hit end turn and he will go away attacking a city which gives you time to finish the foundry and upgrade your polybians...start with republic ones then allied...pull the trops from sicily and spain towards italy...you will need them...
    dont bother constructing anything else...train 2-3 units in Rom while waiting for the foundry...
    if necessary pull the troops from Greece to Italy too...forget about Dyrrhachium and Emporiae ..you can retake them later...
    Rebellion hits...crush it instantly then retrain troops and go for Carthagian forces and Settlements in Italy

Yes well allied cohorts are pretty sub standard in roman terms

And your wright, you are meant to lose against Hannibal or at best get a Pyrrhic victory so he is able to continue causing mayhem for as long as possible. I remember when i first battled him i actually won, but Ive never actually been able to do it since

Just hang in there and you will be used to the defence values in a couple of days.
    I probably will I haven't played total war for about a month so my tactics are not as they once were, but I'll get used to it I guess. The only thing is that after playing this all the other ones will be so easy And allied ones can't even form the tes...err the formation I can't spell

Quote Originally Posted by chris10 View Post
    exactly...
    first thing you need to do is put the large foundy in construction queue in Rom and dont move your army next to Hannibal...hit end turn and he will go away attacking a city which gives you time to finish the foundry and upgrade your polybians...start with republic ones then allied...pull the trops from sicily and spain towards italy...you will need them...
    dont bother constructing anything else...train 2-3 units in Rom while waiting for the foundry...
    if necessary pull the troops from Greece to Italy too...forget about Dyrrhachium and Emporiae ..you can retake them later...
    Rebellion hits...crush it instantly then retrain troops and go for Carthagian forces and Settlements in Italy
    Good ideas, I'll do all of that. I still have no idea how you can be ambushed perfectly by an army that you can see while also marching away from it.
    Last edited by Lord Uxbridge; January 11, 2011 at 05:25 PM.

Chris Death's Avatar Campidoctor

exactly...
    first thing you need to do is put the large foundy in construction queue in Rom and dont move your army next to Hannibal...hit end turn and he will go away attacking a city which gives you time to finish the foundry and upgrade your polybians...
    You sure bout that Chris?

I remember having tried that option due to a ctd on my 2nd pc - the one at my work - and he
    attacked me during the end-turn phase ==> ctd

Later i found a solution by attacking him with a single unit from somewhere else in the first turn
    and at the pre-battle screen (the one still on campaign map) you have to retreat from battle
    instead of starting it - i have to admit i never tried that option since i've been playing various
    other campaigns on this pc instead of going ahead trying rome.

~S~ CD
    Ever wanted to be able to attack the city of rome the second turn when playing a roman faction yourself in RTW? then click here

|Sith|IV|Chris_Death

My youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Chrisdeath69?gvnc=1

~S~ CD

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Death View Post

I remember having tried that option due to a ctd on my 2nd pc - the one at my work - and he
    attacked me during the end-turn phase ==> ctd

Later i found a solution by attacking him with a single unit from somewhere else in the first turn
    and at the pre-battle screen (the one still on campaign map) you have to retreat from battle
    instead of starting it - i have to admit i never tried that option since i've been playing various
    other campaigns on this pc instead of going ahead trying rome.

~S~ CD
    He attacks the top right city I have noticed every time when I dont attack him, but I could depend on what you do in the first turn.
    Last edited by Lord Uxbridge; January 11, 2011 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Death View Post
    yup Chris..Chris is 100% sure...Hannibal attacks Arretium or Ariminum if the Player does not move...
    at least from 2.1 on

I still have no idea how you can be ambushed perfectly by an army that you can see while also marching away from it.
    well...dont take it all to serious...the engine is a bit old and this ambush is a tool to create a bit of drama and pressure right from the beginning
    Last edited by chris10; January 11, 2011 at 06:36 PM.

Lil Jazzer's Avatar Civis

One statement: - The Romans won on superior tactics and military discipline to win battles.
    "...the cannons thundered in accord to many a men crossing, flag in array, musket erect... the glory of war."

-A passage from a personal Ode

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Jazzer View Post
    One statement: - The Romans won on superior tactics and military discipline to win battles.
    We've already established that. It's more that it's hard to take on armies with such a low attack because it is hard to kill enemies quick enough.

Chris Death's Avatar Campidoctor

yup Chris..Chris is 100% sure...Hannibal attacks Arretium or Ariminum if the Player does not move...
    at least from 2.1 on
    Well that makes sense then - didn't try it on 2.1 at all yet - gonna have to me thinks.

Chris says thx Chris

~S~ CD
    Ever wanted to be able to attack the city of rome the second turn when playing a roman faction yourself in RTW? then click here

|Sith|IV|Chris_Death

My youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Chrisdeath69?gvnc=1

~S~ CD

I'm starting a new campaign on H/H as the Romans doing what you all said. Let's see if it works...

It's going quite well, I've crushed the uprising and have only lost the two northen Italy settlements and the Greek one. And I have now destroyed Hannibal's army but he unfortunatly wasn't in it:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Sorry its small I used the TWC uploader
    Last edited by Lord Uxbridge; January 12, 2011 at 12:55 PM.

I think the defence in this game is far too high because personally it's kind of stupid to be fighting one unit of samminites with two units of triarii for 10 minutes and then losing (M/M). It just doesn't seem to make sense. I tried switching the EDUs with the shorter battle ones but it turned out on a closer inspection the EDUs were exactly the same. No offense, it's a great game but it's got a way too OP defence.

Dude a pretorian cohort in roma Surrectum I used to have 79 of defence compared to this one is lower and besides this is more or less the same defence is medieval II, just a bit stronger than the units from medieval

Quote Originally Posted by Apio Claudio View Post
    Dude a pretorian cohort in roma Surrectum I used to have 79 of defence compared to this one is lower and besides this is more or less the same defence is medieval II, just a bit stronger than the units from medieval
    That's a high defence, I never played RS I though
    I'm used to the defence on this game now, but I'm pretty sure the highest infantry defence on M2TW was around 21 with no armour, I have Triarii with 38/39 defence

M2TW was around 21 with no armour, I have Triarii with 38/39 defence
    The higher defens values are part of the concept in making battles a bit longer and more plausible than vanilla warp battles where the enemy starts running after 30 seconds in melee...
    In the ancient times these battles took hours, half a day or even longer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12