Thread: Question on Norse history and roster

RollingWave's Avatar Praepositus

Default Question on Norse history and roster

I know there's another thread on it, but that is mostly done and my question is aimed somewhat different...

A.What was the significances of the term Thegns in the Norse world of the 11th-15th C? I wiki the term and it seem to be mostly talking about it's Anglo Saxson use (which is predictable I guess... since I'm searching in English) but it points out a ton of runestones in Denmark and other parts of Scandanavia that says the decease is a Thegn. So what were the Thegns of Scandanvia?

B. There's some theory / evidence on longbows being from Scandanvia, but was there any record of them actually being used militarily in any extensive form?

C. If I do a mod... when would it be a good idea for mounted knights to appear in earnest for Norway?

Thanks a ton for answering.
    1180, an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity in East Asia, it's technology and wealth is the envy of the world. But soon conflict will engulf the entire region with great consequences and lasting effects for centuries to come, not just for this region, but the entire known world, when one man, one people, unites.....

Artifex

Default Re: Question on Norse history and roster

B: According to chronicles (whose objectivity is questionable) bows played an important part in the battle of Lena and maybe Gestilren in the early 13:th century, 1208 and 1210. Both were fought in southern Sweden between Swedish noble houses and Danish forces. Anyway, in the battle of Lena arrows are supposed to have fallen from the sky "like when a farmer is sowing his crops" and presumably dealt huge damage to the Danes. This could mean volley-shooting, and bows of some decent range. As far as I know, the type of the bows are not mentioned. The main source is called the Eriks Chronicle if I recall correctly.

Bows in Scandinavian history are notoriously undefined. It seems that the shape and type of the bow was not worth mentioning. Maybe because it was not important, maybe because it was regarded as common knowledge and as unneccesary to mention as the fact that you can drink water (although this may have been worth mentioning to the mead- and ale drinking drunkards of the time, hehehe).
    Last edited by Maltacus; January 13, 2011 at 01:52 PM.