Thread: So should I wait for 6.0

Default So should I wait for 6.0

Ok I'm starting to get that itch again...especially after reading about 5.0. I haven't played since the release of BI - I dont' know what it was but I got extremely turned off by BI, I can't put my finger on it I just was not impressed. However I am begining to think about going through the install process all over again but should I wait till 6.0 of SPQR?

Personally I dont know how people can go from SPQR to other mods or Vanilla with the 1 turn recruitment etc. That would drive me nuts. It really bothered me when I played BI. I just played for testing reasons also. For me SPQR is the only mod I play with RTW, otherwise I wouldnt even bother modding it. 5.0 is good and you can always upgrade to 1.5 later. What I suggest is keep a vanilla 1.2 version on your harddrive as a backup. Then you can overwrite anytime you want. :-) I also dont know if SPQR 6.0 will work with BI installed RTW? That will be interesting to find out. I hope it does, but it may not.

Lt
    Lt_1956
    Creator of SPQR:Total War mod since 2004

You could bet money that I'm not going to put BI on my pc again, it was aweful...I really don't know how I could play with 1 and 2 turn for recruitment either...so I think SPQR will be the end all be all, and tonight i think i might just play.

Barkhorn1x's Avatar Biarchus

Personally I dont know how people can go from SPQR to other mods or Vanilla with the 1 turn recruitment etc. That would drive me nuts.
    I don't get it either. The straight vanilla game is so sloooooow and gamey compared to SPQR. And don't forget pure BS like the Gladiator* and Druid combat units, screaming women, flaming pigs*,war dogs* and King Tut Egyptians.

I realize that there has to be some compromise here in terms of game vs. sim. But I believe CA went too far the other way and left out a lot of history.

*Yes, I know there is 'some' historical evidence for these types of units - but the pigs were used once, the Gladiators fought in Legionary equipment and I just don't trust the supposed evidence for 'war dogs' - Maximus' hound biting the German in GLADIATOR is not evidence.

Barkhorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Barkhorn1x
    I don't get it either. The straight vanilla game is so sloooooow and gamey compared to SPQR. And don't forget pure BS like the Gladiator* and Druid combat units, screaming women, flaming pigs*,war dogs* and King Tut Egyptians.
    Barkhorn.

Don't forget the entire army routing before they even touch your lines. SPQR I get kill ratios typically 10:1 to 4:1 (depending on my enemy, captain, my strength, if I screw up, etc.). IN RTW Vanilla, I got kill ratios of at least 20:1 and normally 50:1. The only challange in Vanilla was being able to capture all your enemies that were running away.

Quote Originally Posted by Barkhorn1x
    I just don't trust the supposed evidence for 'war dogs' - Maximus' hound biting the German in GLADIATOR is not evidence.

Barkhorn.
    I'm not a historical expert, but I'm sure certain many people had two or three dogs that were trained killers in those days. But I'm guessing they were only effective when like 20 men would raid a village and one man had a couple of dogs trained to protect him, kinda like modern police. As for an actaul large size army with hundreds of war dogs, no way. There'd be no way to control that many dogs.

**Edit
    Quote Originally Posted by conch6thuf
    Ok I'm starting to get that itch again...especially after reading about 5.0. I haven't played since the release of BI - I dont' know what it was but I got extremely turned off by BI, I can't put my finger on it I just was not impressed. However I am begining to think about going through the install process all over again but should I wait till 6.0 of SPQR?
    I forgot to answer your question. LT is working hard on 6.0 and we all want him to take his time so I'm sure its not going to come out right away. I guess it depends on how long it takes you to win a campaign if you want to start up 5.0. My suggestion, start 5.0 and play 6.0 when it comes out. You probably won't finish your 5.0 campaign in time, but at least you'll gain some experience. 5.0 is a challange. Its not impossible, but its not a cakewalk either. It sounds like 6.0 will be really hard (very excited about that) so I think you need to get as much experince in as possible before its release. Anyways, that's my suggestion, do what you want with it.
    Last edited by NorthHammer; January 17, 2006 at 06:57 PM.

Well, it's very easy to change to 0 turn recruitments.
    All you have to do isto open export_descr_unit.txt, press ctrl+h and replace
    stat_cost 1(after that 2 and 3)
    with
    stat_cost 0
    it will only take 10 seconds.
    I changed this and gave 3 times more moral to units(which also only took 1 minute) and I'm having great fun with BI.
    I simply can't go back to 1.2 with load bug.