Thread: Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG)

Default Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG)

Rome: Total Gameplay

Introduction

Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG) is an unofficial modification to Rome: Total War (RTW), which is compatible with a vanilla (i.e. unmodified / unedited) version of RTW v1.5.

Features - Summary

* Gameplay balancing, in particular to the AI.

* Improved battles versus the AI that will now last greater periods of time, require more utilisation of tactics and skill.

* Over 40 new, unlocked and replaced units.

* Various factions and cultures can now construct more buildings, in particular Barbarian factions.

* Historical Battles now include the new / unlocked / replaced units accompanying this modification.

* Some relevant bug-fixes.

* Other general improvements.

NB: Regarding units, historical accuracy has been sacrificed to improve gameplay from its current state in vanilla RTW v1.5. However, the campaign map has been modified in an attempt to relocate / rename vanilla settlements to their historical locations. In addition, new settlements / regions will be constructed to keep the campaign map interesting.

Additional Information

For more in-depth details about RTG, please refer to the readme - this is located in a stickied topic at the top of the main RTG forum. Use the link in my signature to navigate there.

I'm looking for someone to create new Unit and Unit Info Cards for the mod. If you are interested in participating in the mod by creating these unit & unit info cards, or require further information, please reply here or alternatively send me a Private Message. Obviously you will need the correct software to create the cards, preferably Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or 3DS Max, and previous experience of creating unit cards would be helpful.

I'm pretty much tied-up at the moment with Beta testing the imperial campaign, prologue and historical battles. Any help in creating the cards will be greatly appreciated, and you will receive credit in doing so.
    Last edited by Seasoned Alcoholic; February 03, 2006 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Updated
    Creator and developer of Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG), an unofficial mod for vanilla RTW v1.5
    For news and updates, check out the RTG Subforums
    RTG v1.0 (Self-Extracting ZIP)
    RTG v1.0 (EXE Installer)
    A veteran FPS & Strategy gamer, currently playing Day of Defeat (DoD) & Football Manager 2007.
    Looking forward to the release of Command & Conquer 3: The Tiberium Wars.

Ask VLAD whether you can add units from his VLAD: Total war for RTW.
    My bet is that he will agree!

What additional buildings will barbarians produce?

Quote Originally Posted by killmore
    Ask VLAD whether you can add units from his VLAD: Total war for RTW.
    My bet is that he will agree!

What additional buildings will barbarians produce?
    NEW BUILDINGS BY FACTION:

ARMENIA
    * Can now construct Paved Roads.

BRITONS
    * Can now construct Mines+1.
    * Can now construct Farms+2.
    * Can now construct an Academy.
    * Can now construct Stone Walls.

CARTHAGE
    * Can now construct Highways.

DACIA

EGYPT

GAULS

GERMANS

GREEK CITIES

HOUSE OF BRUTII, HOUSE OF JULII, HOUSE OF SCIPII, SPQR
    * All have remained the same as they were previously.

MACEDON

NUMIDIA
    * Can now construct a Hippodrome.

PARTHIA

PONTUS

SCYTHIA

SELEUCID
    * Can now construct a Trade Caravan.
    * Can now construct a Spice Road.
    * Can now construct a Silk Road.

SPAIN

THRACE
    * Can now construct a Royal Barracks.
    * Can now construct a Hippodrome.

----------

I've attached a copy of the latest readme to the RTG sub-forum here at TWC. All the latest changes, tweaks, fixes etc have been documented there, and its updated quite regularly. Its a sticky thread (should be located near the top).
    Last edited by Seasoned Alcoholic; February 03, 2006 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Updated
    Creator and developer of Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG), an unofficial mod for vanilla RTW v1.5
    RTG v1.0 (EXE Installer)
    A veteran FPS & Strategy gamer, currently playing Day of Defeat (DoD) & Football Manager 2007.

Few things I can suggest that will improve gameplay:
    1) More varied terrain see: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38777
    2) Basic toilet for barbarians (like in BI) or taverns increase population growth.
    3) All units available from the begining - better barracks produce units with higher experience.
    Also barracks have law bonus - less uprisings. (This is a big improvement - AI will start using tons of units! No more level1 vs level 1 combat until the end of campaign!)
    4) More units (see vlad stuff - he has a huge number of units for RTW and they are fun http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
    5) Walls ... Lots of people hate them. Sieges are boring. Maybe only some cities should have them. Or they should be much more expensive. AI expands much quicker without walls...
    6) Maybe barbarians should be able to get larger cities?

I like those additional buildings.

Thanks for your suggestions killmore :original:

1) New terrain would be a good idea, but I'm still a fan of the default battlefield terrain. After playing various vanilla campaigns with most factions, they've done a good job at varying the battlefield by location, EG putting plenty of rocks down on dry, arid battlefields which makes navigating with chariots, elephants etc a bit challenging. Same applies to wooded / forested battlefields, you may have trouble seeing whats going on, but it creates a bit of atmosphere, especially during ambushes.

2) Barbarian cultures could be given sewers to improve public health. Most of them already have some type of fertility shrine that grants 0.5% population growth bonuses per level (upto 1.5% at minor city level). However, including sewers on the battlefield is something else entirely, as I don't have the software to do this. I've already found this to be the case with acadamies - barbarian factions can build them no problem on the strategy map, but they don't appear on the battlefield.

3) It would be a nice idea to have all of your army available to recruit from turn 1. The problem with this though is that there is no reward later on for building those expensive buildings EG Hall of Heroes @ 2400 denarii or Royal Barracks @ 9600 denarii. The present recruitment system may be a bit simplistic, but it does a good job by restricting factions to be only as powerful as the nearest settlement. Unless you bring heavier reinforcements upto the front lines from your larger, core cities.

I've actually increased the chance of region and non-region based rebellions from occurring in order to add another challenge to the gameplay. This forces a player to leave more units in a settlement to maintain public order - you can still use peasant garrisons btw.

4) The probelm with getting permission to use another modder's work in your own project can sometimes be a bit sensitive. Especially when the author has spent many hours, days, weeks, months, even years in developing, testing and improving their project. So basically, I wouldn't want to step on VLAD's toes :original: Donations, on the other hand, are something else entirely. professorspatula has kindly donated his greek officer textures and sprites for this mod, and they look a bit special - use the links in my signature if you haven't seen them already.

5) Yep I agree, I've played some very tedious siege battles in the past that have gone on for much longer than necessary. Especially the larger Roman cities where navigating through the streets is painstaking and saps your army's energy (and morale) levels even before they engage in combat. However, I've given stone walls to the barbarian factions in order to give them a fighting chance. Since all of the AI's battles are auto-calculated based upon what siege gear the attackers have built, what the defensive opposition strength is, the type of settlement defences in place etc, stone walls seem to give an improved chance for the barbs to defend themselves, and more importantly survive

6) Last I heard regarding larger settlements for Barbarian factions was that this is hardcoded and available in BI only. The game in RTW doesn't like anything larger than minor cities. Of course, I stand corrected on this since I haven't kept up-to-date on the topic.
    RTG v1.0 (EXE Installer)

Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG) is looking to recruit new team members, primarily skinners and modellers of vanilla RTW units. However, if you enjoy creating / editing images, such as the campaign map and other images involved in the game, then please come forward. If you're interested, either PM me, reply to this thread, or visit the RTG main topic (using the link provided, above) for more information.

The mod is flexible - any range of unit skins / models will be considered. If you feel you have something to offer, no matter how small, then please let me know.

Also, if you have any new models / skins / sprites etc that you have created and would like to showcase them with a project, I can do this for you by including them with the mod and its future release(s).

Of course, full credit will be given to those forum members who generously contribute to the development of the RTG mod, your talents and skills are highly appreciated by the TW community!
    RTG v1.0 (EXE Installer)

Many changes have occured in the mod since I last updated this topic. So many in fact that I'd rather link than list every single one!

Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG)

Try the numerous sticky threads for a heads-up on things such as the mod's progress, latest news etc.

Thanks.
    RTG v1.0 (EXE Installer)

Default Re: Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG)

After being considered dead for a very long time, Rome: Total Gameplay as been found! I stumbled upon the latest version while looking for another perceived 'dead' mod. I'm so happy I found it. It works like a charm too! I reuploaded to deposit files, here is the link:
    http://depositfiles.com/files/wr6c5d489

Also here is the Read Me on how to install and what the mod contains.

----------------------
    #ROME: TOTAL GAMEPLAY#
    ----------------------

(1) Install a vanilla version of Rome: Total War (RTW), EG v1.0

(2) Patch up as follows (this will depend on which version of RTW / BI is contained on your CDs / DVDs):

* RTW patch v1.1, http://www.download.com/Rome-Total-W...ml?tag=lst-0-3
    * RTW patch v1.2, http://www.download.com/Rome-Total-W...l?tag=lst-0-10
    * BI patch v1.4 (this includes RTW patch v1.3 on CD, which will be installed), note that this patch is available on the BI CD.
    * BI patch v1.6 (this includes RTW patch v1.5), http://www.sega.com/support/pcdownlo..._patch_1-6.zip

(3) Create a backup of your DATA folder located at C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War

(4) After the backup has been created (this usually takes a while to complete), run the RTG installation program included in the download. Note that the default installation directory is the one that should be used for the mod to install and run correctly

(5) Once the installer has finished, you will need to delete the following files so that the mod will work correctly (create backups first if you want):

* map.rwm (IE the campaign map) @ C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data\world\maps\base
    * map_heights.hgt @ C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data\world\maps\base
    * events.dat (IE sound file) @ C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data\sounds
    * radar_map1.tga @ C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign
    * radar_map2.tga @ C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign
    * descr_vegetation.db @ C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data

(6) Start up RTW as normal. If you attempt to play a new imperial campaign, you will have to wait longer than usual for the new map.rwm file to be automatically generated by the game.

Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG) Credit Section

Modification Origins

Original Text File Structure & Related Files: The Creative Assembly
    Concept: Seasoned Alcoholic
    Creator & Developer: Seasoned Alcoholic

2D Artwork

Faction Symbols / Banners Research: Seasoned Alcoholic, Kaweh K
    Faction Symbols, Buttons & Related Symbols: Kaweh K
    Campaign Map Faction Banners: Kaweh K
    Battlefield Banners & Standards: Kaweh K, KALI, webbird
    Unit Sprites: Seasoned Alcoholic
    UI Cards: Marly, Professor Spatula, webbird, LAca
    Campaign Minimaps Per Faction: Seasoned Alcoholic
    Faction Leader Portraits: Seasoned Alcoholic

3D Unit Artwork

Modding Legions Full Pack v1.3b
    Roman Models & Reskins: ferres, GODzilla, Pinarius

Realistic Horse Mod Project
    Horse Models & Reskins: Pinarius

Numidian Project
    Wide Variety Of Numidian Models & Reskins: LAca

Greek Project
    Phalangite Models & Reskins: LAca
    Argyraspid Phalangite & Legionary Models & Reskins: LAca

Parthian Project
    Parthian Reskins Pack: KALI

Carthaginian Project
    Wide Variety Of Models, Reskins & Research: maximusminimus, Gaius Julius, Asterix, spartan_warrior

Xmasbox Pack
    Celtic & Barbarian Models & Reskins: webbird
    Reskin Selection Overview: webbird, maximusminimus, Warspite, JP226, Burebista
    Carthaginian Reskins: maximusminimus
    Iberian Reskins: webbird
    Dacian Reskins: webbird, Burebista
    Eastern, Mercenary & Additional Reskins: Warspite
    Selected Greek Models & Reskins: webbird
    Ptolemaic Reskins: webbird

Scythian Project
    Scythian Models: webbird, RTR Team, Caius Brittanicus, AnastasioTheGreat
    Scythian Reskins: webbird

Additional Model & Reskin Contributions
    Greek Hoplite Sword Model: Professor Spatula
    Extensive Dacian Reskins: Professor Spatula
    Selected Mercenary, Greek, Carthaginian, German, Numidian, Gallic, Iberian, Thracian, Macedonian & Mount Reskins: Professor Spatula
    Miscellaneous Reskin Requests: Angel, Alexanderthefantastic / Byzantine Emperor

Artwork Recommendations: Lusted, HunterKYA, The Spartan / The Lacedaemonian
    CAS Model Lighting Effect Fixes: Lusted

Animations

Unit Animations Pack: SigniferOne

Battlefield AI

Battlefield AI Formations: Sinuhet, The New Trivium Organisation (NTO)

Battlefield Visuals

Skymod: Archer
    Night Battles: DimeBagHo

Campaign Map

Modified Campaign Map & Related Files: Seasoned Alcoholic
    New Regions & Related Coding: Seasoned Alcoholic
    Regional Campaign Map Resources: Seasoned Alcoholic
    Region Naming Convention & Settlement Placement: Seasoned Alcoholic
    Advice For Alternate Campaign Map: IceTorque
    Campaign Map Recommendations: GiantMonkeyMan, Professor Spatula, KonstantinosXI dragases1453, The Spartan / The Lacedaemonian, Carsten

ZOR / AOR Systems

Zone Of Recruitment (ZOR) System: Seasoned Alcoholic
    Regional Mercenary Recruitment Pools / Area Of Recruitment (AOR): Seasoned Alcoholic

Unit Stat System Development

Modified Unit Stat Entries: Seasoned Alcoholic
    Influences & Recommendations: Angel, The Spartan / The Lacedaemonian, Dukezer0, Dejan77

Faction Recruitment Capabilities

Reconstructed Faction Rosters: Seasoned Alcoholic
    Recoded Rebel Armies: Seasoned Alcoholic

Faction Construction Capabilities

Extended Faction Construction Options: Seasoned Alcoholic

Siege Battles

Modified Siege & Wall Tower Aspects: Seasoned Alcoholic
    Culture Specific Battering Rams: The Creative Assembly
    Unlocked Culture Specific Battering Rams: Seasoned Alcoholic
    Beta Testing: Seasoned Alcoholic
    Recommendations: The Spartan / The Lacedaemonian

BI Style Victory Conditions

Modified Victory Conditions: Seasoned Alcoholic
    Recommendations: Carsten

Movement Modifiers

Campaign Map Movement Modifiers: Seasoned Alcoholic
    Battlefield Movement Modifiers: Seasoned Alcoholic
    Beta Testers: Seasoned Alcoholic, The Spartan / The Lacedaemonian

Trait & Ancillary System

Original BI Traits & Ancillaries: The Creative Assembly
    Modified RTW Traits & Ancillaries: Seasoned Alcoholic

Historical Battles

Modification: Seasoned Alcoholic
    Recommendations & Testing: The Spartan / The Lacedaemonian

Battlefield Vegetation

Semi-Arid Palm Vegetation: Teleklos Archelaou, Shifty157

Marian Reforms Research

Marian Reforms Advice & Script Testing Recommendations: Ciaran
    Script Elements Use For Beta Testing Purposes Only: Myrddraal, Epistolary Richard, player1

Naming Section

Renamed Factions: Seasoned Alcoholic
    Renamed Units: Seasoned Alcoholic
    Unit Name Recommendations: The Spartan / The Lacedaemonian

Modification Tools

X-Pak Extractor Tool: Vercingetorix (The Modding Godfather)
    Trait & Ancillaries Validator: Malrubius
    ExamDiff Comparison Tool: Monkwarrior
    DDS Converter Tool: Kaweh K, lt1956

Historical Sources

Campaign Map: Wikipedia, Google
    Historical References & Research: PseRamesses, Red Harvest, GiantMonkeyMan, The Spartan / The Lacedaemonian, Ciaran, Seasoned Alcoholic

Modification Support & Customisation

Minimod Author Of RTG: Angel

Testing

Beta Testers Including Extensive Analysis & Recommendations: Seasoned Alcoholic, The Spartan / The Lacedaemonian, Carsten, Murfios, Dukezer0, Angel, Cha0sMarin3, Dejan77

Additional Coding Areas: Seasoned Alcoholic

----------

DISCLAIMER:

Rome: Total Gameplay is not supported or endorsed in any way by The Creative Assembly, Activision or Sega. All of the work included is my own, and has not been taken, borrowed or stolen from anyone. Credit has been given when and where necessary. Note that any infringements present are purely unintentional.

If you wish to use any part of this modification (i.e. my own work, not that of The Creative Assembly) in your own projects, please contact me in the form of a Private Message either at the ORG forums at http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/index.php?, or at the TWC forums at http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php. Additionally, the work of other modders is included with this modification, so you will need to be given specific permission from the author(s) if you wish to use their work in your own projects. Please do not take my work without asking, the most frustrating thing for any modder is to have their own work used without permission elsewhere. Bear in mind that many hours / days / weeks / months have been spent developing and improving this modification.

Apart from this, I hope you enjoy playing RTG as much as I did making it!