Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Consulate of Poplicola and Scaeva - 539AUC

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Consulate of Poplicola and Scaeva - 539AUC

Every settlement in Italy has had at least one shrine under construction. However in many settlements there was not enough resources to start constructing all of the proposed shrines, but we have started where possible. Rome has the shrine of Ceres, Vulcan and Mars under construction, with priority in that order. From starting to implement this law the treasury has been reduced to 6300, with 9419 denarii being spent on the shrines. Many shrines have over shot from Pallas' conservative estimate. Many of the shrines are now predicted to cost nearer to 1000 denarii, and shrines to Ceres have also durasticatly over shot, varying from 750-1000 denarii. And this senators is why I did not give you an exact figure, because some shrines have cost over double Pallas' estimate, and you will probably wish to find someone accountable. From what I have been able to deduce, marble prices have increased from the time of Pallas' prediction, and many shrines are being decorated more lavishly then originally asked for.
    As time goes on, honoured senators, we must not forget to continue implementing this law once resources become availible.
    *With this Spurius sat, please he had avoided predicting the figure when the project had overshot so badly.*

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

Senators, look at what has happened. You have been misled by various silver tongued members of this body into pledging a lot more resources than originally required. This is why we need a law that lays down that building projects must be voted on with a budget attached to them. Pallas's law has been a lesson in this. For those who did not see this coming, at least it was with a minor bill, and not a major one. I still contend that the bill should never have been put to the vote, let alone pass. Your recklessness in government has cost the Republic thousands of denarii. Remember this Senators, and be ever on your guard against such things in the future.

Agrippa felt vindicated in his objection to the law, but wished that it hadn't come this far in the first place.
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Perhaps the Gods wish for their favoured Subject to cover part of the cost himself?

*Spurius stayed seated, he chuckled.*
    You really can't be pleased can you Agrippa. I foresaw this and this is why I did not give you that figure that you and a few senators were begging for. I told you that these things cannot be predicted exactly, but you still asked. When a figure was given to you, it over shot, and now you are angry because it over shot.
    *Spurius continued chuckling*
    Why, me thinks you do not care about the money at all, but are totally opposed to the honouring of the gods. I take it you are not a religious man. Or perhaps they have wronged you?
    *The senate continues while Spurius smiles to himself, smug that he was right, and the senators had behaved just as he had predicted after they had hounded him for a figure.*

drecie14's Avatar Decanus
    Exact Location: South East Asia, The Philippines, Manila

Titus chuckled and spoke

"I highly doubt that the Senators' anger came from the overshot estimates esteemed Senator, rather they are from your delay in giving the figures."
    My Submods
    Invasio Romanum - TATW
    Realistic Portraits and Eventpics - RS 2
    Legion Ancillaries - RS 2

Titus Antonius Brutus - 30 - Plebeian - Senator

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

Flavius sat up while staring strictly at Agrippa, who seemed not to notice him
    "Fellow senators!" "Once you cheered this man's name as your new consul!" "Now you hunt him like dogs, because he made a mistake!" "Do you have any honour? ARE WE ROMANS?" "We must rebuild our treasury, because war is coming!" "And without the support of Gods, we cannot win it against a superior enemy!"
    Flavius sat down, still staring at Agrippa, who now seemed to give marks of noticing his stare..
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

Titus looked towards the source of the voice.

"Another new senator." He said to himself.

He cleared his throat, addressing the the Senator who spoke.

"Senator. There is no need to shout. Calm down. Starting another argument will not help in any way."

He paused for a moment, taking a good look at the Senator, he continued.

"I'm confused. Where do you stand in this noble Senator? You say we need to rebuild our treasury, but you say we need the Gods' favor. Are you for or against? As you may be aware, the cost has been proven to be high. If we are to win the Gods' favor with the building projects, how would you expect to rebuild our treasury? At the same time how would we gain the Gods' favor if we do not continue with it to rebuild our treasury? Make yourself clear Senator."

With these words, Titus sat back down.
    My Submods
    Invasio Romanum - TATW

ooc: shouldn't the new term have started by now?

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

OOC: It should've
    My Submods
    Invasio Romanum - TATW

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

Flavius is disappointed by the misunderstatement
    Don't you see, my fellow senator? It is called philosophy. You built the shrines for the Gods; and therefore the Gods will favor us more. Also, as it drained our treasury by a high margin, we must rebuild it and our campaigns must wait. There is good and evil in your deed.
    Flavius sits down, while giving an angry stare at Spurius. People like him will NEVER understand me, he thought.
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

OOC: Remember the govenors had made their turns before this, so our treasury was already low.

OOC: When will the nest Consulate begin a new meeting?
    My Submods
    Invasio Romanum - TATW

I think it is time that this be proposed once again.

Lex Furia de Leges Aedificiorum

1. No legislation initiating a building project put before the Senate can be voted on without a definite cost for said project being included in that legislation.

I object to this law.
    As our recent project have just shown a 'definite cost' is almost meaningless, and is rarely correct. I would support a senator giving an approximate cost when giving a proposal, however I would trust in the senate to vote against any motion that needed more improvement or more information. This law will become forgotten, kept alive only in the library. Why should we make law that is already common practice.

OOC: If you choose to reply to this comment do so remembering it was pallas' project, so it was up to him to make the prediction, I repeat, I had nothing to do with the project apart from voting for it and saying shrines are cheap.

Because it was obviously not common practice to Pallas. Or perhaps we should change the proposition so that one must say their approximate price when first introducing their project.

Well if the senate had such a massive problem with it, surely they would have voted against it? No, they voted for the proposal anyway.
    OOC: Posting here to keep same issues in same place.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789