Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Consulate of Poplicola and Scaeva - 539AUC

Default Re: Consulate of Poplicola and Scaeva - 539AUC

Lucius stood and went out to the senate floor, chuckling as he did so.

As interesting as it's been to hear everyone's' arguments over these shrines, I'm amazed that no one here has even asked about the siege of Genoa or the current situation of the Allied legions. It seems that you senators are perfectly content with the unknown.

What if I was ambushed on the way to Genoa by a force we haven't seen hmm? What if reinforcements arrived by sea to outflank me? What if by some twisted turn of fate we lost the battle? I can see you senators are tiring of my saying so but this most august of assemblies needs to straighten out its priorities to the matters at hand. Therefore I must come to you to inform you of the situation which I had well in hand.

This battle was fought in Genoa, previously an allied state of the republic. I used only half the army in the assault, with only a few veteran cohorts from the legions that fought in Arretium and Trasimene. I must say that our fresh troops need more seasoning in the form of the assault on the Baleares, the following results will compound these facts into your minds and the legions' training regimen.

The Order of Battle

I ordered all units to form up in our standard field battle line. I expected that without walls the enemy would not be content to hide within the city, I was half right when they sent out a recon in force supported by some of their missile troops. I immediately outflanked the first comer with 3 cohorts, routing them almost immediately before outflanking the next, routing them in turn with heavier casualties than the first, which routed without taking much in regards to losses.

First Contact

I ordered our equites, fresh ones mind you against the enemy missile component, although they were successful, the enemy light horse caught them and forced them back. I ordered a fourth cohort to support them, also fresh and they took heavy casualties by factors unknown, most likely poor fighting skill, veterans will be transferred to the regiment during their next training in Capua. On another note, the same will happen with the equites who, even with new found heavy support, fled in terror from a numerically inferior enemy, it took much in the way of coaxing and a rather inflamatory display of disciplinary action by me towards their officer to get them to stop running and remain as a battlefield presence in reserve.

The Cavalry Routs

It was during this time that I moved to further destabilize the enemy line, in order to accomplish this I pushed in most of our reserve cohorts, five through ten to perform outflanking actions on what was now 3 main areas of contention with the bulk of the enemy heavy infantry in the Southernmost salient. I was able to maneuver our cohorts through the enemy line unopposed to strike at the now-vulnerable flanks of the enemy in the second salient.

The Advance

The rest of the cohorts were sent past the third salient to form a fourth even further back in the town center, where the enemy missile component was regrouping along with some of the enemy cavalry and some light troops.

The Envelopment

The enemy general was actually, in fact, handling the situation quite well, given that he was outnumbered two to one. Though he proved impatient and careless in the end as he charged into the Southern salient to achieve a breakthrough with his guard even though the attempt of such an action was clearly impossible with over one third of our forces in active reserve, including the triarii, velites and cavalry, not to mention myself watching over that critical area. I ordered our velites to expunge whatever missiles they had left into that flailing mass of Gallic body parts and one hit their general in his most crucial moment, killing him instantly.

Death of A general

Content with the lead I then held I ordered the Campanian cavalry, by now the only component of the army I trusted apart from cohorts six through ten, to form up in the section least occupied by friendly troops in front of the Southern salient. I then gave them orders to charge into the enemy and they buckled immediately under the pressure from these elite and heavy cavalry.

Final Resistance Crushed

Lucius then passes out scrolls to each senator.

Here are the official casualty reports for the battle. I trust you will find the numbers to be satisfactory given the objective of training fresh troops in the field rather than in camp for an invasion that could very well decide this war. Italy is now free of Punic presence, and Rome is safe from foreign enemies for the moment. Roman honor is also restored an this victory so close to Gallic territory should deter the possibility of incursions by insurgents at least for a few years.

Official After-Action Report

Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

AspisPhalanx90's Avatar Senator

Ah Consul, so good for you to have returned..and with good news as well! Genoa is now back in Roman hands. What of the local populace? what has become of them..
    Flavius Julius Constantinus, adopted Patrician, 30

Occupied of course, though I could not stop every looter in the army it was kept to a minimum.

AspisPhalanx90's Avatar Senator

Good, im sure the rest of this Senate will approve of the matter. Carthage has been removed from Italy, now we must turn our attention and our might towards Hispania..beginning with preparing for the invasion of the Baleares Isles
    Flavius Julius Constantinus, adopted Patrician, 30

Preparation will only take less than a month, our proper Roman legions are prepared to strike, once they are separated into battle order for the voyage the allies should be done with their new training regimen.

Lucius started to get somewhat happier, it shown on his face. He was glad to leave the city for a while, away from the intrigue and the attempts on his life he was sure to receive from anyone in the chamber should he stay, though the legions parked outside Rome may have quelled the idle threats at the least...

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

Agrippa rises

Congratulations Consul on your victory, though perhaps you should do better than insulting this council in future.

I agree that we should push our advantage over the Carthaginians by pursuing them through Hispania. I would, however, not like us to over play our hand. While the string of victories has set us on a good path, it would only take one reversal to ruin that. I propose that we raise another legion for the war effort. The funds are available in the treasury and it would be a great aid in overcoming whatever enemies we may encounter in the field. Now is not the time to be miserly with the legions. We need them to conquer our enemies and expand our lands. If we shirk this duty, it will be to our detriment and will come back to us in the end.

I would also like to object to Pallas's legislation being put to the vote without any attempt to show just how much exactly it would take us, or for how long would it interfere with other building projects in the towns and cities of Rome.
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

It would take approximatly 2 years to build these shrines, and their cost is minimal compared with other ... more useful buildings.

Citizen

Can we please have a figure, an actual sum rather than your bias words on how much it will cost.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Feel free to work it out yourself senator. Rememeber that costs cannot always be assured unless you have slave builders and have already aquired the materials. Prices vary, unforseen problems cause delays, there is a long list of variables you would have to take account off. So senator, why don't you tell the senate exactly how much it will cost, as for me, I shall settle for minimal.

Citizen

How are you able to put a building proposal to the Senate and not include it's cost? It is a vital part of the discussion, and we would be wrong to vote on it without considering the price. I ask that you halt the vote now, reopen debate on the matter, with the full cost to the State firmly in our minds. This is how proper governance should happen, and I should like to have to accuse a Consul of Rome of not operating as such.
    Patron of Lysimachus

It appears that the senate knows that the general cost of shrines is low, but cannot be exactly predicted, and have voted with such knowledge, producing a large majorities of Ayes. Vote against the motion dear senator, it's your right. Is it not one of the main benifits of voting system that foolish proposals are blocked? Why not put your faith in the system or do you not trust in your fellow senators' reasoning?

Citizen

Personally I do not like this legislation, that is true. I do not like it for a number of reasons. I do not like committing such amount of energy to building temples while they could be focused on improving Rome's ability to make war and resist invasion. There is a time for temple building, and that time is called peace. The Athenians did not build temples while they were at war with the Persians. They defeated their enemy, the gods must have smiled upon them, so that shows it times of war we commit ourselves to military things. We are in a time of war.

I do not like this legislation because it gives us no insight into the possible downsides of this building project. If I were to propose that we improve our road system or that we build large markets in every town, would it be enough for you to accept 'enough' or 'worth it' as the amount of money it would set us back? No, and I would praise you for that. This is no different. To govern properly we need facts, and not interpretations. Give us the facts to govern properly, or shall I be forced to accuse of not governing in the best interests of Rome and her Senate?
    Patron of Lysimachus

Quote Originally Posted by [100]jplay.TGC View Post
    Feel free to work it out yourself senator. Rememeber that costs cannot always be assured unless you have slave builders and have already aquired the materials. Prices vary, unforseen problems cause delays, there is a long list of variables you would have to take account off. So senator, why don't you tell the senate exactly how much it will cost, as for me, I shall settle for minimal.
    Gerges called out from the back,

That is the talk of a man who is trying to sell us something Consul! Not the answer this house would expect from a man of such supposed prestige. Give the honourable Censor the sum, surely it is nothing to be feared?
    YATS NAME: Marcus Calpurnius Bestia - 52 [Plebeian]

I would like to remind you that I did not put forward the the motion, notice it bears Pallas' name, nor am I its most avid supporter. However, while Rome is in a state of war, it is far from destitute, perhaps you remember that you proposed to raise an entire legion, so surely you know that our treasuries are not empty. I assure you my good senator, that the cost of the shrines would be but a drop in the ocean compared with the costs of raising and maintaining a full legion. These shrines would be a lasting monument, a permanent positive effect on public order, while your legion, is a tempory volatile thing, that can be worth thousands, or cost the people many more thousands if left to languish in Italy. I do not wish to enter into a debate on your legion just yet, but lets just that the shrines are a safer bet, with assured benifits.

*Spurius turned to Senator Cassius*
    I do not know the exact sum, nor is it my responsibility to know it. Ask Pallas, or an expert in the feild, although from personal experience I can assure you it will not empty Romes treasuries.

OOC: I am not the the main advocate of this, pallas put it forward. Just because I am arguing with Agrippa does not mean I am a major supporter. Also I cba to go in game and find out

So your giving your full support to a motion you know little about the consequences of?

Several bored Senators jumped in there seats at the unexpected shout,Caldius had returned.

That's not a very good idea now is it?A Legion can win a war,how exactly are shrines going to defeat Carthage?

*Spurius raised an eyebrow*
    No need to shout senator, none of us are hard of hearing. Full support you say? Scribe, is it not right that I added after my original statement that shrines are cheap, that this was compared with more useful buildings (OOC:here)
    *The scribe stops writing, moves his finger up the page, searching for the referenced statement, finds it, then nods.*
    Now what kind of 'full support' would this be, if I am admitting that there are more useful buildings, things the people need, as opposed to want. However, they are much more expensive.

Now, if you senators are so opposed to this, vote against it, you have my blessing. Now please direct your 'inquiries' towards Pallas. This is not my war, so I do not intend to fight it.

*Spurius pauses*
    Licinius, I would appreciate it with if you listened to me before you comment on where my support lies, and why it does so. And if you wish to raise another legions, create a motion, and if it has support, it shall be put to the vote.

*Spurius sits down, clearly wishing to leave the discussion to Pallas and these three opposing senators.*

Spurius you go in circles,you said that since the treasury had a healthy flow of gold,the Shrines,that you still haven't given us a price estimate for,would have very little impact on it.Yet you just admitted that you think there are more useful things we could build with that money.

Aurelius goes to the Temple of Jupiter and sits and listesn.........they say that he has a good looking lady.
    Serial Spammer

Citizen

First of, I was not proposing final legislation for raising a legion, and I would expect there to be discussion regarding it's cost. I merely put my idea before the Senate, to get feedback on it. This is not the same as a piece of legislation already being voted on. I would request that voting be suspended and discussion about Pallas's law to be reopened. Will you please accept my request?

Furthermore I will propose a piece of legislation myself now.

Lex Furia de Leges Aedificiorum

1. No legislation initiating a building project put before the Senate can be voted on without a definite cost for said project being included in that legislation.
    OOC: Latin ok? 'Furius's Law concerning building legislation'
    Patron of Lysimachus

Aurelius gets bored quickly and thinks of a yummy lamb
    Serial Spammer