Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Consulate of Poplicola and Scaeva - 539AUC

AspisPhalanx90's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Consulate of Poplicola and Scaeva - 539AUC

It is settled, the motion shall be put to vote as follows:

1. That the legions of Rome are retrained
    2. That Consul Poplicola takes the army and captures Genoa
    3. That funds are given for the infrastructure and economic development of Italy and the provinces
    4. That Crotona is taken with the legion outside it; here I propose consul Scaeva as commander
    5. After the siezure of crotona, Consul Scaeva shall take the legion, refit, and sail for Hispania immediately

How does this sit with the Senate?
    Flavius Julius Constantinus, adopted Patrician, 30

It is acceptable, put it to vote.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

What can I say other then that I agree.

Senatores, i wish to bring up a point made by Basiliscus earlier regarding the office of Pontifex Maximus. The Pontifex is an important part of Roman society, and for us to appease the Gods as well as traditionalists, i feel it is not unwarranted to reinstate the office. The Gods have always been revered by our ancestors, even ourselves. Should we go about neglecting their importance in this city?

I would like to propose there to be some discussion on the office, and possible elections for Pontifex Maximus

Septimus sat down once more

Calvus continues watching, smiling at the bickering that has occurred..

Lucius stood, clearly outraged by the new motion.

You talk of incessant babble and yet here we are, we are putting forward a mere copy of a motion already passed but never implemented.

If I may exercise my consular veto on this motion and propose that Lex Valeria De Re Militari be put into effect immediately, or has everyone ignored my opening statement to this house?

For your reminding:

I. The victorious consular army in Italy be turned North to demonstrate to our neighbors what happens to the various factions that invade our homeland by retaking Genoa.

II. Once Genoa is taken, the legions in Iberia will be reinforced in Sugunton. The rest of the army that is deemed not to be needed or by honorary discretion will be stationed in the Campus Martius so they may visit their families until they are needed again.

III. This second Consular Army will then strike deep into Carthaginian territory and secure the mines and a route to export the metals by sea to further increase what little trade we have within our holdings and deprive the Carthaginians of the main resource by which they can equip their heaviest troops.
    Last edited by dragoon47; January 12, 2011 at 04:25 PM.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

Your motion, Consul, has no mention of any economic actions. Noone in this senate has gone against your motion, rather, it has been "amended". Perhaps you should not take this so...personally. Do you see a motion that improves upon your own as a slight against you? Or do you care more about your own image than that of the Republic?

It should not have to, the censor may deal with what we may be spending our money on, your motion is as ambiguous as senator Caelius' accusations. All it does is nearly copy my motion exactly and then go on to state the obvious.

Have we not been spending money on infrastructure without a formal motion? Your motion does not state which legions go where, does not involve any sense of strategy for when the legions get to their positions and you pretty up your false motion with a formality that is both unheeded and unnecessary as the spreading about of funds which happens with or without your motion.

Therefore, your entire motion is redundant and has been already discussed, only proving to hamper our ability to fight this war quickly and effectively.
    Last edited by dragoon47; January 12, 2011 at 04:26 PM.

Well, then seeing as how numerous votes have been for it, we shall let your Colleague make the final decision then shall we?

A messenger came in and gave a pack of scrolls to the senior consul, he looked through it for several minutes and stood.

Carthage has regained some of her strength in Italy, their long-overdue reinforcements have arrived and the leftovers have begun a small expedition to take Arretium while we are weak.

Report from the North.

A rebel spy has also been found and executed by the people of Rhegion but these scrolls save the worst news for last.

Macedon has begun talks with Carthage about an alliance between the two of them. This leads me to believe an attack on Dyrrhachium is imminent.

Lex Valeria De Re Militari unlike the other motion is already passed and I am well within my rights to take action without senate approval at this moment. The governor of Sicily would have you think our threat is to the South, within two formed enemy units behind walls of wood. We must finish off the Punics in Northern Italy.

I will take action, although I would appreciate if this senate would ratify my actions as true.
    I will send a messenger to the South and tell the legate to finish off the enemy there so I can turn the army that I had perfectly organized North for reformation. The confusion of the tribunal attack on Capua most likely led to the legions becoming deformed.

So be it. I formally ask Consul Policola to take charge of the Legion, and head north. I personally will not see this as an illegal move, nor should the rest of the Senate. May the Gods be with you Consul..

Also on the scroll was a declaration of ceasefire on the side of the Arverni, and Ariminum has officially begun land trade with the Boii.

I will not depart just yet, I will send the messengers South along different roads to Croton and ask the legions to finish up there.

Lucius quickly scribbled something down on a scroll and sealed it, handing it to the messenger who had brought it.

Until the legion reaches here I will order our current forces to engage and repel that recon in force. It does not require my services yet so I will stay and see what you other fine senators have to say.

Messengers return over the next couple days bringing tidings.

Senators, I will now proclaim the conflict against the rebels over with the enslavement of the final rebel settlement of Croton. The Latin League is finished and we have victory. In the North, a legate named Quintus Fabius Maximus has pushed the enemy back across the river into Genoa where they dispersed and deserted.

I now propose that we re-organized our legions into the following. They will consist of:

-Command Staff.
    -2 squadrons of cavalry.
    -10 cohorts.
    -3 cohorts of triarii.
    -2 skirmishers.

This army has been proven by the campaign against Hannibal to be the most mutually supporting order of battle, in the future we should try to keep this ratio of men, horses and light troops so as to standardize our army further to know exactly what each legion's mean strength is. Of course allied legions will have 2 extra squadrons of cavalry from Campania to bolster their strength due to their somewhat lackluster equipment and training in their cohorts.

Lucius gave a group of scrolls to pass around detailing the after battle reports from the North and South as well as the legions' current positions.

Skirmishes of Arretium and Croton

Legionary Positions

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

*Spurius stood, clearly annoyed at been deprived of the glory of finishing the rebels for himself.*
    "What of Greece, what of this macedon and carthage alliance, what off the people of Dyrrhacium itself. Surely it will need reinforcing, for one settlement on its own cannot not repel the ire and ambitions of a nations. If we are to abandon it, let us abandon it officially rather than pointlessly risking the lives of the roman garrison and the roman peoples who have settled there.

I approve of my co-consuls reforms on the legions of rome, perhaps with more skirmishers or velites, as Rome has plenty of poor and young but fewer of those who can afford a triarii's equipment."
    OOC: That would bring us up to a full stack right?
    "I propose we strengthen and retrain our legions in a way that will not conflict with the reforms, while the senate debates and votes on this proposal.

As for the carrying out of your proposal, please choose which army to lead at your own discretion, and I shall take the other, and may both bring glory to Rome."

Scaurus stood

I presume now that our immediate threats in Italy have been resolved, I may take my leave as per appointed by Poplicola to Hispania to rectify the mistakes of the past? If that is the case, Conscript Fathers, I shall depart immediately unless there are objection.

Crusades

I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

I have no objections, and since it has been approved by senate vote, feel free to go now if you wish.

Just one moment, Scaurus.

Pallas' voice slithered from the benches.

Save me your diatribe, Aventinus, I have no time to waste with the likes of you.

Oh this is no diatribe, Senator, merely a congratulations. You remember my last congratulations to you, don't you? May what I said then become true in the aftermath of now. The gods have blessed you with fortune, Scaurus, it would be a shame for you to squander their blessings.

The words that Pallas had said to him on the night the Senate House burned echoed in Scaurus' mind. "To install you as dictator of Rome, quite an honor..." But what was the other thing? Those final words behind the gray emotionless eyes? Wasn't it something along the lines of "What to do with you?" Scaurus felt his steps weaken. Had he played right into Pallas' trap? Was this what the young man planned from the beginning? To remove him from the Senate? He couldn't back down now, not without taking a devastating amount of punishment from the Senate for dereliction of duty. But he needed to stay here! He needed to keep his eyes on Pallas! The other Senators are blind, they do not see as he sees. They are ignorant of the viper that dwells among them.

What's wrong, Scaurus? Have you something to say to the rest of us? Please, by all means, don't hide secrets from the Senate.

I fear it is this Senate that will need the blessings of the gods to purge the poison that runs through its veins.

Take that how you will, Pallas. Scaurus thought as he turned around and left the Senate. Pallas sat in his chair, a bemused expression on his calm face that flashed briefly with rage.

Crusades

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

Since we seem to be advancing into dire straights may I put forward to the Senate the creation of a third legion? Though I am not overly familiar with our military position, and I would welcome any help in illuminating me in such matters, our treasury could handle the extra burden and our situation demands it. With enemies gathering at our borders we cannot afford to be miserly when it comes to the defence of our nation. I would also welcome a report into future military recruitment and organisation, so that we have a definite road map to follow, rather than merely be a reactionary body. I propose Gaius Julius Septimus to carry this out; he has prior experience with the legions and his time in the field would be valuable in drawing up plans for further expansion of the military.
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Claudius could not help but notice the tension between the Praetor and his former commander. Pallas's eyes were focused on the old Senator, malisciously, with a smirk of satisfaction. He hoped he could have a word with Scaurus before his departure...

"Aye" he said, back in topic, "we have neglected the numbers of our troops for too long. A large army is the only way in which we will pravail in Spain, Italy and Sicily. I think more important, though, is the creation of a Roman armada to patrol and defend our new colonies overseas."

A dispatch arrives from Hispania after a few weeks

Conscript Fathers,

As a sign of silencing those who have spoken ill of my preparations, I present to you the current situation surrounding Sagunton. The city is pacified once more, aided in part to the local men whom I have called into service as mercenaries. This not only alleviated the number of garrisoned men but also gave the locals something to do, dispelling further need of grumbling attitudes. At the same time, the vote for government determination has ended and the inhabitants of the city has chosen the route of becoming an allied state of Rome. I foresee that the full process, once the legal proceedings and the rituals have been observed, will take at most two years and at least almost a single year if the process is carried out uninterrupted and if the urgency of allied state is pressing.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I leave the rest of the decision in your capable hands. May the gods be as fortunate towards Rome in helping you purge the poison from amongst your ranks.

L. Aemilius Scaurus

Crusades