PRAETOR
    PALLAS RVTVLVS AVENTINVVS

CENSOR
    AGRIPPA FVRIVS CAMILLVS

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Default Re: Consulate of Poplicola and Scaeva - 539AUC

Pallas was among the first ones to enter the Temple of Jupiter, taking his seat besides the consuls, he stood and spoke. The bloodied handprint was still visible upon his toga and he made sure that as he spoke, each Senator would be able to see it.

I know it is generally uncustomary for the Praetor to open the year with a speech, but based on the actions of the previous year, I daresay that initiative must be taken to ensure that events such as that of the infamous Gracchus be never repeated again. Of course, before us are still several issues, all of which are equally pressing.

The first and foremost issue is our state of war against Carthage. We have almost no news from the front, it seems that only Julius Septimus has seen fit to return to us while his colleague has absconded with his soldiers. An egregious error most foul.

The second concern is the state of disrepair that Rome has fallen into following the unrest caused by Gracchus. I ask that the Censor to draw up a list of possible building projects to restore the damage inflicted during those days as per his Censorial duty. Of course, Consul Poplicola is to be commended as he is personally putting forth the funds to rebuild the Curia Hostilia, but for the time being, it would seem that we must meet here in the Temple of Jupiter, a safe haven that even the most audacious mob would not dare touch.

Finally, there is the issue of public morality that sank to a new low during the Gracchan riots. Our vestal virgins were abused and violated, right there.

Pallas raised his pale fingers and pointed at the distant streets. The bloodstains have washed out from rain, but the shame of the spot remained.

By men who were manipulated, fooled, and twisted by Gracchus' foul words. A crime that would earn us damnation in the eyes of the gods. A crime that cannot go unpunished. Of course, this is also in conjunction with the countless other acts of violence that had disturbed our fair City. I intend to cleanse those faults, purge our city of her sins. Many of you know that for the reason I bear this bloodied print upon my toga. This is an announcement. Let all who have been wronged during the Gracchan riots present their cases before me in the Basilica and I shall exact justice upon those who would flaunt the Law. I would descend upon the wicked like Rhadamanthus himself upon the sinners. The voices of the gods cry out to me, the dead cry out to me, they cry "Justice!" and I intend to do just that.

Those who blinded a man must be blinded themselves. Those who raped must be deprived of their manhood. Those who killed.

Pallas' eyes flashed

Will be killed, and their corpses desecrated so that they will suffer even in the afterlife

Crusades

I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

AspisPhalanx90's Avatar Senator

Julius Septimus strode into the Senate, and before taking his seat took the chance to speak

Senators, friends, fellow Romans. What Pallas says is true. There is much that we need to accomplish this term, and we must do it quickly. We have let civil strife set us back in our war against Carthage. Where my colleague is, i do not know. What i do know is this: Carthage is still living, breathing, and willing to kill Romans!!. There are still barbarian tribes within Cisalpine Gaul, which is rightfully Roman land! Anything below the Alps should be Roman Land! I ask our esteemed Consuls to complete what i could not finish.

It would be a lie....to say that i myself do not desire this honor....

But i know our laws, and a true Roman puts aside his ambition for the greater good of this Republic...so i pray to the Gods to grant this years Consuls the victory this Republic sorely needs...

Septimus took his seat among the Senators...odd, he thought, to not be among his Legions, dressed in his Military finery...
    Flavius Julius Constantinus, adopted Patrician, 30

Lucius stood, somewhat unnerved by the pleasure Pallas took when he spoke of punishment but he went on regardless.

I visited the Quaestor's office on the way here today and I have finally been given the position of the army in Spain which Balbinus was kind enough to leave in a settlement before deserting them.

Legions of Rome

That is all the formed legions we have. The first two are the forces around Rome itself which I have split into under two legates, I have kept the Allied legions within the city itself until the senate decides what to do with them as they are still enforcing law as per my orders, I did not trust our native Romans to do the job as well but there has been no incident with these allies and the plebeians.

The second army is near Croton, ready to besiege the city and finish off the rebel presence there although the size of the army is overkill compared to what they are facing. The final army in that list is the beaten men of Spain who I don't believe can move from their position let alone launch a military campaign in their present state, no doubt made worse by their most recent commander who has taken no steps to even strengthen the army with mercenary soldiers.

The following are statements from the financial sections and general paperwork from our diplomatic offices regarding treaties and such that were recovered from the Temple of Vesta:

Quaestorial Reports
    Dux Office Reports

Military Reports

Treaties

Treasury

As you can see, Sugunton is becoming a source of trouble again due to being "abandoned" as some would have said last year by Scaurus and his army. We will need to rectify that as soon as possible.

On a happier note, I have found a deal that won't bankrupt me and will get the Curia repaired in half the time as normal. Senator Cassius seems to have a cousin in the building trade and he's willing to compromise on a price that won't affect our treasury or mine for that matter at the level originally assumed. We may yet be able to hold meetings in the Curia again either next year or before depending on the construction works.

I propose that Lex Valeria De Re Militari be put into effect as soon as possible with reinforcements from the Southern army sent North to make the campaign against Genoa a short one at worst.
    Last edited by dragoon47; January 12, 2011 at 04:23 PM.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

Tazgrent's Avatar Ducenarius

Cassius stands. "What my friend Valerius says is true. My cousin Manius would be more than happy to handle the rebuilding. The new Curia will be a testament to our glory. And for a cheap price as well."

Abandonment? ABANDONMENT?!

Scaurus rose, raging.

You dare accuse me of abandoning Sangunton when I had in fact left a garrison there? Admittedly the garrison was nowhere near the same size as it previously was, but it was certainly a garrison nevertheless. There were still soldiers there to enforce Roman authority, still soldiers there to ensure that in the event of an attack, some measure of resistance could be mustered. Yet you stand there accusing me of abandonment! I remember putting forth measures for the construction of defensive fortifications in Sangunton, I suppose you will call that abandonment as well? I remember putting forth the question of inclusion into our Republic's influence before the people of Sangunton, I suppose you will call that abandonment as well? I recall having taken the legions and re-acquiring Emporiae from rebellious forces with minimal losses, I suppose you will call that abandonment as well?

I will go to Spain again at the behest of the Senate to rectify these mistakes that arose from the mismanagement of Balbinus, but DO NOT, Poplicola, accuse me of abandonment!

Crusades

Scribe!

The scribe came over with his notes.

Please read this part of my statement again for the senator.

As some would have said last year.

Thank you, you may return to your seat.

As you can see, I did not accuse you of anything Scaurus, in fact I respect your decisions from the year before last and how you acquitted yourself. I was just stating the differing view that was present once you returned and when you first proposed the option of leaving Sugunton to combat the rebels.

If you wish to direct your rage somewhere, direct it at the people who did call it abandonment, not I.
    Last edited by dragoon47; January 12, 2011 at 04:23 PM.

Even so, there is still the worrying fact that when I had left Sangunton, it was well on its way to becoming pacified yet now it stands once more on the edge of rebellion. Either an investigation is launched and the governor contacted, or the Senate send someone to personally oversee the process.

Crusades

Since it seems that Brutus of the Antonii seems to have disappeared, possibly in-league with Balbinus no doubt, I propose a motion.

I propose that Scaurus be sent to Spain for the rest of Titus Antonius Brutus' term with proconsular imperium until a consular army arrives to relieve him.

Would you find this satisfactory Scaurus? Will anyone support the motion?

Perhaps while you're there you may also find out where the consular and the Dux of Emporiae have run off to.
    Last edited by dragoon47; January 12, 2011 at 04:24 PM.

Regiliensis spoke,

"Aye, I support the motion. Our Consul, exConsul has proven a capable commander and a strategic genius to defeat the barbarians. Let us give our enemy no quarter, Senators! Drive the Carthaginian dogs back to Africa and take Iberias riches for our people!

Senator Calvus watched.. Waiting for a time to speak

I will support the motion,and I know the Legionares do too.

Rex Basiliscus's Avatar Senator

Senator Basiliscus entered the temple relieved to have finally found where the Senate has been gathering after the Curia burned down.

Senators of Rome! I have returned from Sicily to be of more use here. I have sent a letter explaining everything (ooc: the letter that Gracchus imediately burnt), but since you sent no word, here I am. I understand that because of the riots you had no time to issue any funds for Sicily, but here I am in person to either get them, or stay here in Rome.
    I would again ask you to let me finish the rebels in Crotona, as the previous man you've appointed hasn't done his duty. I would also remind you of the large income Crotona shall give us - the income we need if we are to continue our war against Carthage. I stand here to receive your decision.

The situation is almost comedic,we have had an entire legion hovering around what remains of the Crotionian rebels for the whole year,and yet bureaucracy allows that town to defy Rome.

I propose we just let the bloody governor deal with bastards.

Supporters?

Lucius stood up and went to the center of the room. He stared directly at senator Caelius.

Why do you say the legions support it hmm? Because you're a little rabble rouser are you? You're lucky I had more important things to do last term after the incident with Gracchus that I didn't order you to summary punishment as well for your little display at the senate's expense.

He bribed one of my guards to gain access to the legions in the Campus Martius to rouse them against the Patrician class. I believe he was working with Gracchus and they were planning on not only using the mob to destroy Rome but also to circumvent Praetorian authority given so by martial law to call upon the legions when necessary.

In case you esteemed senators were wondering I solved this the easy way by using Allied legions but it does NOT lessen the crime. Didn't help that he also spread lies about me in the process that he hasn't been able to back up the last 3 years. It must be so terrible for you, not knowing a single thing about military strategy, having to pay your way into the surface of the legion's heart, having no glory to call your own with nothing but a band of petty insults to show off your family name.

May I ask why an insignificant piece of scum such as this is even allowed to speak in this chamber when he so obviously wants everyone here with noble blood to die? Why isn't he charged with treason Pallas, or have you been swayed to betray your family as well?

I WILL NOT allow more civil strife to plunge the final blow into Rome's heart, which was the only goal of his petty little speech. Oh, that reminds me.

Lucius went back to his seat and grabbed something that jingled as he picked it up. He then throws a bag of coins at Caelius' feet.

After Pallas' display in the Forum he said he no longer wanted your money, seems his speech had a larger effect than even I first thought. I hope it also goes to show you that you should probably try to pay my guards better next time you want to attempt an ILLEGAL action Caelius.

So, what to do with you...
    Last edited by dragoon47; January 12, 2011 at 04:24 PM. Reason: spelling error

Except that I am still a Patrician now,that I was no friend of Gracchus,that if I was a co-conspirator of Gracchus I would have roused the army then,That if I wanted power I would have took it then.Kill me if you wish Tyrant,but be aware of the consequences.

Tyrant am I?

The election is over, martial law has run out, the legions outside are under consular authority and I will send them back to the Campus Martius when the senate plans for them to do so. Note, when the SENATE plans for them to do so.

Don't think us fools, if you were a co-conspirator with Gracchus you would not have to use the legions that day, you would only need them upon your success to deal with the loyalists that would inevitably attempt to halt your grabs for power.

If anything you've proven my point, nigh the first words out of your mouth is yet another insult, not much of a furthering to your cause.
    Last edited by dragoon47; January 12, 2011 at 04:24 PM.

Really?

You insulted me first Poplicola.

You also have this foolish delusion that you still have the power to hand out summery justice like a Dictator,if you feel I am a Traitor,bring it before the Praetor,of-course you don't like him very much do you?

Didn't I just spend almost the entirety of the opening of my last statement proving otherwise, or are you as terrible at understanding our language as you are in the study of military matters? Even now you filibuster the senate, going against your publicly spouted plans of action.

What plans of action are those Caelius? Do you intend to make yourself a tyrant to get past all of this bureaucracy you hate so much? Maybe with you and Gracchus you wouldn't have to worry about the senate stopping your schemes to what was it? Conquer Spain, then Carthage, then the world?

You also said that the senate has no teeth, that if we proclaimed you a traitor that we could not stop you, that you would retaliate in turn. Where are your legions hmm? Where are your supporters? In order to make us serve you, you must first have the loyalty of the legions, you do not. In order to gain the loyalty of the legions you must use them, you have not. In order to gain the trust of the legions you must use them effectively, forgive me by my saying so but that you cannot.

It is your feeble threats towards this house that have no bite, that is why you cling to greater men of more perverse minds like Gracchus to guide your plots and your actions.

You say I do not lie awake at night every night after Trasimene? That I believed those losses didn't matter? To assume that only shows you as the fool you are. The only reason I can get any amount of sleep is by telling myself that they died for something but no, that ends up just keeping me awake further at night, because they died so senators like you and Gracchus can play king and attempt to subvert the senate and the values it upholds and burn our holy places, rape our most sacrosanct women and worst of all, make us look weak to every faction that surrounds us, which as everyone here knows is just waiting for the next moment to strike at us.

We have bloody Punics in Italy, Macedonians in Greece, more Punics in Spain, an overly-ambitious Greek tyrant who may well shatter our alliance with the rest of the Greek city-states and our own allies and citizens. Not to mention the missing Balbinus, Antonius, the traitor Claudius and possibly you all still threatening the stability of this republic. Did I miss anyone, hmm? How many gods have we also offended? If they would give me a sign I'll add them to the list as well. Sacred Vesta has already withdrawn her protection from the city, have any more of the gods done so? Maybe Jupiter would see our meetings in this temple as an offense as well although I surely hope not.

I would not try to filibuster your fate any longer, the praetor and the rest of the senate will know just what to do with you although I can't really place which crime was the worst upon you. Most of it shouts treason but given that you are actually no threat maybe the senate will see mercy. Bribery is the least of the charges you will most likely face under senate inquiry and I can only warn you of the scrutiny you may face in a senate hearing. Roman dignity may be shattered but Roman law is still very much intact Caelius, you'd do well to remember that.

Last edited by dragoon47; January 12, 2011 at 04:25 PM.

Have you gone completely insane?

I.Have.No.Connection.To.Graccus.

I never spoke to the man outside of the Senate,I proposed the bill that was calculated to bring him down,I barely escaped from death myself.Your only other motive for saying this would be to fool the Senate into allowing you to do as you wish to stop the "conspiracy" that supposedly threatens Rome.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast