Thread: Mercenary?

Default Mercenary?

i say your mod is fantastic guys!
    i really would play with it, but right now im in Bi. attillas barbaricum invasio mod, and i dont want to reainstall everything...

so here is my question:

do you fortunately that what happenned with the iberian tribes after the romans conquered them??did they melt in?vanished from history?or did they revolt some times?and what happened to them in the later history, like in the 2-3th century b.c. so around the big barbarian invasion....were there any tribes left?what do you think were there in iberia merc. units, which might have looked like your units?cause i think they look amazing, and if you would give permission, and some details about history...i would really like to use some as merc. units in Bi!cause i think it would give a new shine to iberia, cause its so boring...now, nothing happes there, only perhaps some revolts, but only some relly boring, stupid looking rebels....

please answer me...

thx a lot...
    bye

I hope you'll get an answer soon.

The Romans did not actually conquer the entire Iberian peninsula until the time of Augustus. So in fact it took longer for the Romans to conquer Iberia than for Caesar to conquer Gaul! Iberians slowly assimulated to Roman culture such as religion and language and became a rich essencial part of the Roman Empire. Over the millenias Iberians mixed in with different people so I do not think you can say the original Iberians simply disappeared but rather their civilization continued into other cultures when the Roman Empire fell because even though they were assimulated for the most part, their own culture did not disappear. Only exception would be the disappearance of Tartessos but that remains a mystery.

Yes in other mods Iberians look plain, it would be great if you could get skins to your mercenary units

Sorry, I had forgotten to answer you.

In spite of the slow and hard conquest of Iberia, the population became greatly integrated in the roman culture. There were lots of "roman celebrities" that were born in Hispania, including two of the emperors (Trajan and Adrian).

This assimilation had also their image in the roman army, where iberians formed their own auxilliary units and their own legions, or at least part of them. In that regard it is difficult to signal some specific units for mercenary, but some research could be done related to the equipment of the hispanic legions.

When the barbarians (suevi, alanni, vandals and finally visigoths) invaded Hispania they found a truly roman portion of empire.

For more details it would be important to know exactly the timeframe of the mod and the general plan for it.

Default Re: Mercenary?

Nice history lesson wow!

zedestroyer's Avatar Biarchus

Viriato was the major leader of the Lusitanian that resisted the Romans:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viriato

Quote Originally Posted by zedestroyer View Post
    Viriato was the major leader of the Lusitanian that resisted the Romans:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viriato
    He was the most famous leader, but remember that the lusitanian war was 8 years long, but the conquest of Iberia started during the second punic war and finished nearly in Augustus time (about 200 years).

zedestroyer's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Monkwarrior View Post
    He was the most famous leader, but remember that the lusitanian war was 8 years long, but the conquest of Iberia started during the second punic war and finished nearly in Augustus time (about 200 years).
    Yes, because he was betrayed by is own men.
    He was great because he kicked Roman asses.